2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

For all the draft watches out there, is Smilie being held to different standards to what the other draftees are?

I dunno Aces,

but I dont reckon a touted No.1 has ever carried such a quiver of red flags.

1. better bottom age than top age
2. best games against worst opposition
3. less effective at each rise in class.

Reactions: 4 users
If Tigers keep pick 1 disagree that there are 9 number 1 picks in contention,
It's really jagga,Smillie,fos ,Draper, can't see any other pick,at 1 for us.

Reactions: 1 user
If Tigers keep pick 1 disagree that there are 9 number 1 picks in contention,
It's really jagga,Smillie,fos ,Draper, can't see any other pick,at 1 for us.

FOS and Smilie have to be sliding on form?

I reckon Jagga and Draper have risen into the top 2

Reactions: 5 users
I love Murphy Reid but I am staggered according to Foxsports that some clubs have him in the mix at 1.

And I am mostly shocked that Sims is sitting between 20 and closer to 30 on most boards.

Reactions: 3 users
I love Murphy Reid but I am staggered according to Foxsports that some clubs have him in the mix at 1.

And I am mostly shocked that Sims is sitting between 20 and closer to 30 on most boards.

Totally agree on both counts.

Like Reid as well, and reckon he can be a player - But he's not a number 1.

Re: Sims - Still have him as the best key forward prospect. He has the overhead and athlectic game that can set him apart from the rest.

Find it very strange, how he can be ranked below say a Harry Armstrong. Be very surprised if that holds come draft night.

Reactions: 2 users
Totally agree on both counts.

Like Reid as well, and reckon he can be a player - But he's not a number 1.

Re: Sims - Still have him as the best key forward prospect. He has the overhead and athlectic game that can set him apart from the rest.

Find it very strange, how he can be ranked below say a Harry Armstrong. Be very surprised if that holds come draft night.
If we split 1 and walked away with Langford and Lalor and then got Reid and Sims from the Baker trade (12 &20 ish pick) I'd be stoked.

• Wow
Reactions: 8 users
I've seen the highlights, and read the reviews, but havent seen any games. Jagga sounds like a Walsh/Daicos cross. But is there any risk there is some Andy McGrath thrown in?

If we split 1 and walked away with Langford and Lalor and then got Reid and Sims from the Baker trade (12 &20 ish pick) I'd be stoked.

throw in Joe Berry and Im all in.

Lalor, Berry, Reid, and Sims

would be quite a haul.

Langford and Lalor and either/or for me.

I've seen the highlights, and read the reviews, but havent seen any games. Jagga sounds like a Walsh/Daicos cross. But is there any risk there is some Andy McGrath thrown in?

I'd have to go back and check out what McGrath was like in his draft year, but from watching him McGrath is quicker but is also less contested than Jagga. I'd also like to compare to Butters, but then Butters went at 12 or something didn't he?

WOW,,,There's some ambitious stuff going on here....:unsure:

Have a look at Peter Wright ,thats what Sims is like ,strong leap/mark,not much else.

Saints would have to be really into Jagga or Draper or FOS

Agree, Saints would need to be really into 1 of those to trade both 5 and 6 to get a higher pick. I reckon you might be able to trade back but there wouldn't be much of a premium paid for it, just re-aligning the order based on where you think your preferred player will be available.

I see traits of Tom Lynch, Harry McKay and Riley Thilthorpe. Give me athletic big men. I'm in.

I see traits of Tom Lynch, Harry McKay and Riley Thilthorpe. Give me athletic big men. I'm in.

yeah Sims look a ripper to me.

a bit snakey and degoey-headed separates him from

Armstrong and Whitlock, who appear like gentlemen.

Pick 1 Day 2,

could be almost more valuable than Pick 1 Day 1 this year.

Its going to land someone like Sims, Bo Allen, Malachi Champion, slimly possibly even Joe Berry.

Have the AFL officially changed the rule on NGA bidding,

or they just might make up their mind sometime, at their discretion?

I'd have to go back and check out what McGrath was like in his draft year, but from watching him McGrath is quicker but is also less contested than Jagga. I'd also like to compare to Butters, but then Butters went at 12 or something didn't he?
Size would have been the issue and whether he would be able to compete at AFL level.

He was 70Kg when drafted.

yeah Sims look a ripper to me.

a bit snakey and degoey-headed separates him from

Armstrong and Whitlock, who appear like gentlemen.

Pick 1 Day 2,

could be almost more valuable than Pick 1 Day 1 this year.

Its going to land someone like Sims, Bo Allen, Malachi Champion, slimly possibly even Joe Berry.

Have the AFL officially changed the rule on NGA bidding,

or they just might make up their mind sometime, at their discretion?
I don't know what matches your watching ,but Sims is a nice player,he should be crashing packs ,laying big tackles ,imposing himself around the ground .
He is a big lad in the u18's ,should be doing a lot more .

I don't think the NGA rules have changed yet ,someone mentioned it in the media,and they all ran with it .

Don't think so. There seems to be a widely held opinion (including various junior media sources) that his Championships were just "ok" but not indicative of a number 1 draft pick - as was being touted prior.

Having said that, I'm pretty sure 4 or 5 clubs still have him at the top, or close to it i.e. top 3.
I dunno Aces,

but I dont reckon a touted No.1 has ever carried such a quiver of red flags.

1. better bottom age than top age
2. best games against worst opposition
3. less effective at each rise in class.
Dont know lads. I have this feeling that Smilie is better than what he is currently showing. Which mind you is still good. If he slides past the top 3 I think someone will get an absolute bargain in the long run.

I am actually really hoping he smashes the back part of this season.

Dont know lads. I have this feeling that Smilie is better than what he is currently showing. Which mind you is still good. If he slides past the top 3 I think someone will get an absolute bargain in the long run.

I am actually really hoping he smashes the back part of this season.
My biggest turn off Smillie is he isn't good over head ,at 194cm ,he should be out marking lads a lot smaller ,but isn't .
He will make it in AFL as a crash and bash mid,North or more to the point Clarko would like his style for their mid field ,probably WC would to.

Reactions: 1 users

I don't think the NGA rules have changed yet ,someone mentioned it in the media,and they all ran with it .

Theyre probably holding off to make the change overnight between the first and second round

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
on a current rough order

1. jagga
2. Trainor
(Ashcroft) (Lombard)
3. Draper
4. FOS
5. Lalor
6. langford
7 Reid
8. Berry
9. lindsay
10. Smilie

Jagga and Sims for Lalor and Berry?

tough one.

if I could trade back into the second round and grab one of Sims, Armstrong or J. Whitlock, Id pull the trigger.

Its a hypothetical that reiterates how many good players are in the top 20

Saints would have to be really into Jagga or Draper or FOS

Smillie pick 10?

You taking the pi$$?