2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

And we don't have to take Smillie either if we so desire. It's not like there's an automatic order the whole comp is under instruction to follow.
Yeah agree.
But Spooker posted who was top 6.
There's every chance Jagga, Draper, Lalor Fos are gone.
Maybe Trainor and Smillie slide. If north dont take Trainor its possible.
So a Lindsdy or Berry is pick 5.

We dont take Smillie i hope but is a forward pocket or winger worth trading down for?

Agree but right now I can’t see another club do it.

Personally I think it’s a moot point as I don’t think we will end up on the bottom of the ladder.

What about the Saints? Lets say they have 5 and 6, If we can get our hands on a Pick 15, how about Picks 1, 15 and the Graham compo pick, for Picks 5, 6 and 24.

Saints to me don't think they are in a rebuild stage, so if they have the chance at bidding on the best young player plus get a later 1st, then they probably do it.

I'd then probably do a bit of horse trading with North to try and get their 1st (probably Pick 3) for 5 and something else. We go in with 3, 6 and then use our other picks to trade up for GC's pick (lets say its pick 8). We might still have something later but picks 3, 6 and 8 would go a long way to rebuilding the midfield. If we can hang on to the 1st pick of the 2nd round, then we probably get a tall there.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah agree.
But Spooker posted who was top 6.
There's every chance Jagga, Draper, Lalor Fos are gone.
Maybe Trainor and Smillie slide. If north dont take Trainor its possible.
So a Lindsdy or Berry is pick 5.

We dont take Smillie i hope but is a forward pocket or winger worth trading down for?
One of Langford, Lalor, Trainor, Draper, Hotton are all possibilities at 6. Twomey even has Smith at 6.

Nobody is taking, or feeling encumbered, to take a forward pocket or winger at 6.

What about the Saints? Lets say they have 5 and 6, If we can get our hands on a Pick 15, how about Picks 1, 15 and the Graham compo pick, for Picks 5, 6 and 24.

Saints to me don't think they are in a rebuild stage, so if they have the chance at bidding on the best young player plus get a later 1st, then they probably do it.

I'd then probably do a bit of horse trading with North to try and get their 1st (probably Pick 3) for 5 and something else. We go in with 3, 6 and then use our other picks to trade up for GC's pick (lets say its pick 8). We might still have something later but picks 3, 6 and 8 would go a long way to rebuilding the midfield. If we can hang on to the 1st pick of the 2nd round, then we probably get a tall there.
The Saints also have Silvagni as their list boss. He is no different to Dodoro.

Reactions: 1 users
You seriously think we’ll beat North? Did you see the game today?

The only team we could possibly beat is a tanking West Coast and we don’t play them again.
Will North make the mistake again of winning another meaningless game?

One of Langford, Lalor, Trainor, Draper, Hotton are all possibilities at 6. Twomey even has Smith at 6.

Nobody is taking, or feeling encumbered, to take a forward pocket or winger at 6.
Plus Smillie is actually still a good player hardly a disaster at pick 6

We dont need Trainor. Even if he's on the board.
I'm all for taking Hotton but as our first pick? Significant risk.
Draper gone. No chance at 6.

One of Lalor and Langford is left.
I'm thinking Lalor will already be selected.

So I'll give you Langford.
Does he have the burst we need?
If he's not the best onballer of his age group then is he going to be the ace of our mid pack?

Its this. A trade down has its limits. Pick 1 for 6 and 12 gets 2 very good players. But we need elite mids

Reactions: 2 users
North are playing to win. They’ve spent years down the bottom and have their high draft and priority picks already in the team. They need to win games and build a winning culture. They won’t be tanking and their form is far superior to ours in the past few weeks and their young players are frankly substantially better than ours. They will beat us comfortably.

Plus, they have locked in a top 3 pick so what does it matter. As you can see by the draft thread no one has any idea who will be number one. There is no standout. I don’t care whether we have pick one or pick three. Quite frankly I’d rather not be so *smile* and win a spoon 4 years after a flag.

Reactions: 10 users
We dont need Trainor. Even if he's on the board.
I'm all for taking Hotton but as our first pick? Significant risk.
Draper gone. No chance at 6.

One of Lalor and Langford is left.
I'm thinking Lalor will already be selected.

So I'll give you Langford.
Does he have the burst we need?
If he's not the best onballer of his age group then is he going to be the ace of our mid pack?

Its this. A trade down has its limits. Pick 1 for 6 and 12 gets 2 very good players. But we need elite mids
They can't all be selected before 6.

One of Lalor, Langford, Draper will be there. Guaranteed.

Personally, I reckon any one of those combined with one of Reid, Lindsay, Hotton, Berry, Travaglia...whoever....*smile* all over a Jagga Smith on his own at number one every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

It's a flat draft at the front end Poking Cases. Very even between the first 6-7 players. To that end, Norf won't be worrying about finishing last.

And for the same reason (ie flat draft) St Kilda will be unlikely to trade up out of picks 5 and 6. They'll see the inherent value of those picks as being almost like having two number 1 picks.

Reactions: 6 users
They can't all be selected before 6.

One of Lalor, Langford, Draper will be there. Guaranteed.

Personally, I reckon any one of those combined with one of Reid, Lindsay, Hotton, Berry, Travaglia...whoever....*smile* all over a Jagga Smith on his own at number one every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
I've agreed one of Lalor or Langford.
Smillie probably too but I dont want him imo.

Remember Gold Coast gotta sell 2 firsts and a second.
And Brisbane got a late first to sell.
Of course worst thing is the lions and dogs go long into September.
Whatever. We can still trade our junk picks and get pick 1, 6 or 11, 17, 20.

Reactions: 1 users
I've agreed one of Lalor or Langford.
Smillie probably too but I dont want him imo.

Remember Gold Coast gotta sell 2 firsts and a second.
And Brisbane got a late first to sell.
Of course worst thing is the lions and dogs go long into September.
Whatever. We can still trade our junk picks and get pick 1, 6 or 11, 17, 20.
So many permutations with so many things to yet play out that really, we all have zero idea of what we'll end up with.

Wish it was November already !

So many permutations with so many things to yet play out that really, we all have zero idea of what we'll end up with.

Wish it was November already !

Yeah this.

You really need to know our whole hand once potentially Bakes and any other players leave. Plus we shuffle our late picks up for an early selection (or two).

Only a hunch, but don't think the players look entirely happy ATM, so could be a few that want to move on.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah this.

You really need to know our whole hand once potentially Bakes and any other players leave. Plus we shuffle our late picks up for an early selection (or two).

Only a hunch, but don't think the players look entirely happy ATM, so could be a few that want to move on.
Trades amongst all clubs, finishing orders, f/s deals, compo arrangements. On and on it goes. Really pointless at this stage to speculate on what picks we might have. A torrent of water to go under the bridge.

I thought that right from round 1.

Trades amongst all clubs, finishing orders, f/s deals, compo arrangements. On and on it goes. Really pointless at this stage to speculate on what picks we might have. A torrent of water to go under the bridge.

I thought that right from round 1.

Yeah this year more than any other. From RFC stand point anyhow.

Then we can really get serious with our disagreements on who we want (dont want) after that!!! :LOL:

Trading pick 1 to Gold Coast for 6,11,20 and throw in our junk picks hand got me thinking.

But then they have nothing to trade for Dan Rioli

• Wow
Gold Coast are selling. Their objectives are top picks, future picks, poss players.
Brisbane are selling. Their objective is points.

Trade GC 54, 57, 63, 68 and a future second (say 20) for 6.
Trade BL 36, 39, 41 for 17. (This is still lower in points than what BL would want. But no other club can do a better deal. BL can get Ashcroft without a big downgrade.)

So we'd have 1, 6, 17, 21. (But no f2nd)

Thats without player movements.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't watch the Juniors, will the draft combine crystalize anyone's opinion on players or is it irrelevant??

I dont think its super relevant for first round picks - we've seen them tear up games;

but for answering some questions like

'is Harvey Langford (top 10) slow?'

if he tests quick and agile, he might go from 7 to 4 in some orders?

it will be useful for splitting the Talls on speed and agility and endurance.

I reckon its mostly to confirm what your eyes see in games,

and to weed out some players (who run >7min 2km for example, or a 3.3 sec 20m)