2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Yep this is a must. But how?

It'll be tough to get Lalor and Smith.

Just looking at the 3 phantoms down by ESPN, Twomey and Rookie Me, excluding the F/s's so I've taken out Ashcroft and Lombard so we can see "real picks" they have Jagga at 2,3 and 5.
Lalor they have at 4, 5 and 7. We will likely need 2 picks in the top 4 or 5 to get both.

I think there could be a way to get in there, depending what North want to do. North have a stacked midfield and I think they are starting to see that midfield gel and move forward, so I think their priorites will be elsewhere. If we want 2 of Smith, Lalor, FOS and Draper, then we might need to aim for Norths pick. If we can get 1 of GC's picks, would it be worth using that and a 2nd (possibly our 1st pick of the 2nd round) to get into that North pick. There potentially might need to be a bit more trading done to move picks around the top 10, but with the top 10 being fluid this year, maybe teams will be open to trading top 10 picks a spot or so much more than normal.

Trainor for example, is ranked at 5,6 and 7 excluding Ashcroft and Lombard in those 3 phantoms.

Depending on who wants who, maybe there could even be a 3 way trade with the Saints. Lets say the Saints get a 1st as compo for Battle, would they trade up to Pick 1?

Something like Saints trade Picks 4 and 5 for 1. North trades 3 for 5, we trade 1 for 3 and 4.

Obviously some other pick trading would be needed, maybe something like we trade the Baker pick, or Grahams compo if he leaves, but it could work out well.

I think the Saints will want some speed, so would likely want someone like Draper. West Coast are an unknown, maybe FOS, then we take Smith and Lalor with 3 and 4. Trainor goes at 5.

Reactions: 2 users
If FoS gets back near his best in the coates stuff he could still go 1 ILO.

Lot still to play out with who goes where.

This is the most unknown of draft and trade periods in recent memory. Unknowns on who goes where but als who will have which pick once we get to the draft.

I will love him if he is a Tiger ,but seriously l hope WC don't end with ,reid and Lalor together would be a force . I was told Lalor is fairly close to Cadman ,must be because they come from The Marsh. Get Lalor and Bring over Cadmann,works for me. Also Welsh crows f/s and Lalor are close as well.
Blair better be working the phones. What this debate between ezy and Bengal shows me is we must get another top 10 pick. Must.

Blair better be working the phones. What this debate between ezy and Bengal shows me is we must get another top 10 pick.

Must.

yeah if we can get GC pick 7 or 8 (very plausible given the Lombard-Rioli situation)

we can land

the Jagga/Draper-Lalor double.

plus Berry if he slides to 15+

Jagga-Lalor-Berry

would be a giant leap

Reactions: 3 users
This is the most unknown of draft and trade periods in recent memory. Unknowns on who goes where but als who will have which pick once we get to the draft.

100%

Hence not gunna worry about who might go where yet.

Too much to play out with ladder, trades, free agency picks etc.

Reactions: 1 user
100%

Hence not gunna worry about who might go where yet.

Too much to play out with ladder, trades, free agency picks etc.
The point I was making is if we split pick 1 we’ll get two great players. And that Smith could be one of them

Reactions: 1 users
Lolol Yeah ,but l have watched nab cup games in ballarat in similar or worse conditions,even started snowing in one match .
The wind last night made it feel bloody freezing ,all the nutters who went to watch where all huddled in the grand stand ,or the lucky ones in the Willy club.
What's the first rule of Willy Club?

• Haha
The point I was making is if we split pick 1 we’ll get two great players. And that Smith could be one of them

If a bid comes for Lombard top 3 (and swallows up GC 7/8, north take trainor

And someone falls for Smilie hive mind top 5

There could well be one of the best 3-5 player there at potentially our 2nd pick.

Ilike leysy says its alot if IFS,

But pick 1 does give us full control over a few of the ifs

Next hurdle - dont beat Norf

• Love
yeah if we can get GC pick 7 or 8 (very plausible given the Lombard-Rioli situation)

we can land

the Jagga/Draper-Lalor double.

plus Berry if he slides to 15+

Jagga-Lalor-Berry

would be a giant leap

I want Rioli to stay but if he wants to go this was the PERFECT weekend to show Gold Coast what they were lacking and why Dimma would be desperate to entice Daniel north. They watched the Orange Tsunami explode from half back with run and carry and absolutely destroy them and then Daniel had a blinder for us.
They would need to pay a very high price for his services indeed.

**Need Bake's to hit his straps quickly, value dropping IMO

Reactions: 4 users
If we look at the blokes were trying to split for footys Cox Plate,

Lets take the last 5 WFA starts as

Bottom age coates/colts
Bottom age champs (AA=1)
Top age coates
Top age champs (AA=1)
Form against men

FOS - 11xxx
Sam Draper - 11xx1
Sam lalor - 1x1xx
Josh smilie - 1X1xx
Levi ashcroft - 1111x
Jagga smith - 1x111
Harvey Langford - 1x11x
Leo Lombard - 1x111

Its a binary 1 = succeeded (won, stood out, wow)
X = didnt succeed (could be through injury or politics)

If anyone can be *smile* allocating 1-9's for each start, go for it.

Its clearly a quality cox plate field.

Some bloke have had an interupted preparation, some blokes have won a handicap, some stuck to WFA.

Some you have to take on trust

It aint so easy

Jagga, ashcroft and LL prob equal favourites at this stage,

But theres a way to go and form against men and particulalry finals against men can change the market

On form, i think top 5 is probably

jagga, asscroft, lombard, draper, langford

Asscroft could push to a clear No.1 if he stars for BL VFL

FOS and Lalor can push in if they have a crack against men

That iMHO trying to be empiracal on exposed and sustained form

With a couple of assumptions

1. Clubs go BA and empirical on form
2. Someone falls for Smilie
3. norf take trainor

This suggest Lalor and FOS could be on the table (injury sliders) at 7/8

And if we can get one of them off GC

We should aim to land two of

Jagga draper langford lalor FOS

Last edited:
I want Rioli to stay but if he wants to go this was the PERFECT weekend to show Gold Coast what they were lacking and why Dimma would be desperate to entice Daniel north. They watched the Orange Tsunami explode from half back with run and carry and absolutely destroy them and then Daniel had a blinder for us.
They would need to pay a very high price for his services indeed.

**Need Bake's to hit his straps quickly, value dropping IMO
So this, we should be able to extract max value from Gold Coast.

It'll be tough to get Lalor and Smith.
Agree it will be tough.
As you say the predictions have Lalor they have at 4, 5 and 7
Though the biggest advocate for Lalor isnt a recruiter, player manager or journo.
Its our very own Bengal!

I think the Saints will want some speed, so would likely want someone like Draper. West Coast are an unknown, maybe FOS, then we take Smith and Lalor with 3 and 4. Trainor goes at 5.
My hunch is WCE will go Draper.
Will fit well with Reid Ginbey etc.

And if you get Draper why would you need Baker?
Think with the new coach they'll be unlikely to trade hard for Snake n Bake

Got me one uninformed n uneducated question re Jagga. Scrawny n small weedy size bloke, a bit like his legendary namesake. Can pretty much do it all at U18 level n appears to have had a very strong game at VFL level. But where do the watchers see the growth and development comes from over the next few years? He's obviously got to find yet another level to become a premium AFL player n recruiters always have to project what the kid will b like in 3 or 4 years time. Where does Jagga grow his game? Strength, bulk, speed, tank, decision making, skill execution?

Got me one uninformed n uneducated question re Jagga. Scrawny n small weedy size bloke, a bit like his legendary namesake. Can pretty much do it all at U18 level n appears to have had a very strong game at VFL level. But where do the watchers see the growth and development comes from over the next few years? He's obviously got to find yet another level to become a premium AFL player n recruiters always have to project what the kid will b like in 3 or 4 years time. Where does Jagga grow his game? Strength, bulk, speed, tank, decision making, skill execution?

Id say Speed, tank, ball-winning and decision making are all round 1 ready.

Id say areas for improvement would be the obvious size and strength,

the obligatory defensive accountability (applies to pretty much every first round mid)

and ideally, he hits the scoreboard regularly.

Rinse repeat ,his one and only coates game so far this year.

its a great game!

the defensive workrate/tackling is a point of difference

pretty similar disposal wise by hand and foot on that

im just curious, how come you ride jagga hard getting comparable numbers in the mud against men

as Sam gets on a bowling green against boys?

I'd love to see your bloke play a VFL game and post these numbers and clearly go ahead of jagga.

I just dont really get why you've got em so far apart on form quality.

Its a tough one

love to grab both!

Last edited:
Still haven’t seen anyone with the A grade class as FOS. Does he get it enough though ? All look promising at top end. 31 in first VFL game being played in Antartica was amazing by Jag. Smilie might end up being the steal.

Smilie might end up being the steal.

im downgrading him from a reliable first rounder,

to a second round steal ....................

for Werribee , Glenelg, or Swan Districts :oops:

He appears to me to have almost knocked himself out on the ceiling?

FOS class certainly catches the eye, and his bottom age champs can't be ignored.

Hopefully an injury slider, though I doubt it.

But do we want him to go?

I am ok with Baker and Graham. Rioli not sure. It’s a weekly proposition for me!
Cash in on 28 year old olds, this is a unique situation, Gold Coast with an academy prospect, an ex Richmond coach.

We traded Brett Deledio at around the same age and he is an infinitely better player than Dan Rioli.

Reactions: 3 users