2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

I small hint
Don't always search far and wide, have a look at the kids wearing our colours.
Stengle
Durham
D'Ambrosi

Perkins top 10 pick 2 possessions we cannot afford to stuff this draft up like the 5 in 30.

The kid Jagga that played on the weekend for our 2's what a game, in the worse conditions you would see. He was unbelievable.
He needs to be in Yellow and black.

Reactions: 2 users
I small hint
Don't always search far and wide, have a look at the kids wearing our colours.
Stengle
Durham
D'Ambrosi

Perkins top 10 pick 2 possessions we cannot afford to stuff this draft up like the 5 in 30.

The kid Jagga that played on the weekend for our 2's what a game, in the worse conditions you would see. He was unbelievable.
He needs to be in Yellow and black.
DiAmbrosio and Durham are examples of an issue some have been going on about for a while. Our VFL program identified them and they only ended up at Essendon because they had picks before we did in the MSD. There needs to be some advantage given to clubs to draft players out of their VFL programs imo.

I can't compare Jagga Smith to others in the draft and whether someone else turns out better is one thing but imo he is a lock to be a very good AFL player.

Reactions: 1 user
its a great game!

the defensive workrate/tackling is a point of difference

pretty similar disposal wise by hand and foot on that

im just curious, how come you ride jagga hard getting comparable numbers in the mud against men

as Sam gets on a bowling green against boys?

I'd love to see your bloke play a VFL game and post these numbers and clearly go ahead of jagga.

I just dont really get why you've got em so far apart on form quality.

Its a tough one

love to grab both!
Come on Ezy ,you have been spruiking Smith for weeks ,has he been playing on wet grounds in that time ,NO.
Lalor as l have said so many times ,is a better kick ,better mark ,a better contested player ,better defensive,better goal kicker ,and has more upside,a lot more.

I bet Lalor as many other coates player's would love to be like Smith ,and be able to train everyday without having to go school ,or for some work.
Smith has finished school last year so he can concentrate on his draft year .
The more l think l think about had Lalor and FOS not been injured for large chunks this year ,the no 1 position would be more clear.

Come on Ezy ,you have been spruiking Smith for weeks ,has he been playing on wet grounds in that time ,NO.
Lalor as l have said so many times ,is a better kick ,better mark ,a better contested player ,better defensive,better goal kicker ,and has more upside,a lot more.

I bet Lalor as many other coates player's would love to be like Smith ,and be able to train everyday without having to go school ,or for some work.
The more l think l think about had Lalor and FOS not been injured for large chunks this year ,the no 1 position would be more clear.

None of this is false Benegal. But would you punt on pick 1 with Lalor? I'd happily roll that second first rounder into him but I wouldn't use one.

Now, if FOS or Lalor have an outstanding last six weeks of Coates league, we have a real debate but as it stands now, I have Jagga at 1.

And I'm not bolted on, not locked in and talking anyone else down or belittling other views. That's just how it sits right now.

Reactions: 5 users
Isn't this exactly what the Higlet did a few years back in his draft year. Total commitment to becoming a player.
Not quite a super star player, but he's forged himself a fairly decent AFL career all things considered.

None of this is false Benegal. But would you punt on pick 1 with Lalor? I'd happily roll that second first rounder into him but I wouldn't use one.

Now, if FOS or Lalor have an outstanding last six weeks of Coates league, we have a real debate but as it stands now, I have Jagga at 1.

And I'm not bolted on, not locked in and talking anyone else down or belittling other views. That's just how it sits right now.
It wouldn't be a punt Scoop ,l have been watching the under 18's for a long time ,and Lalor attributes equates to being a top class AFL player.
I don't mind people disagreeing with me ,thats what it's all about,as long as it doesn't turn nasty with insults,and if people don't like me disagreeing with them ,well maybe they shouldn't post .

Reactions: 4 users
Isn't this exactly what the Higlet did a few years back in his draft year. Total commitment to becoming a player.
Not quite a super star player, but he's forged himself a fairly decent AFL career all things considered.
Yeah,his only problem he thought he was better than what he was,but he is going ok in a weak side.

A question on him - He can obviously find the ball when fully fit. He's shown that.

But is there a question on his aerobic capacity? Is it something that will hinder him more than some others if he cops injuries? Will it take him longer to get that level of fitness up after a break? Is it going to be an on-going challenge getting him aerobically AFL fit.

Reason ask - He blew out a fair bit in size when injured earlier this year. He looked to struggle getting around the ground as a result. He also has a very solid frame that seems to pre-dispose some players from every being big gut runners and making that full time AFL mid transition - Rayner a prime example. Could go on with a lot of others.

That is a concern when talking very top end picks. It's OK to get 30 at Coates level. But being a full time AFL midfielder (which is what you want with pick 1-3 ILO) requires a different level of fitness.

Reactions: 2 users
And this not going to school is an advantage but it works for us. Jagga has basically lived the life of a pro for this year, works for us.

Are we sure he is not enrolled in uni or working part time? Didn't Jack Higgings do the same?

A question on him - He can obviously find the ball when fully fit. He's shown that.

But is there a question on his aerobic capacity? Is it something that will hinder him more than some others if he cops injuries? Will it take him longer to get that level of fitness up after a break? Is it going to be an on-going challenge getting him aerobically AFL fit.

Reason ask - He blew out a fair bit in size when injured earlier this year. He looked to struggle getting around the ground as a result. He also has a very solid frame that seems to pre-dispose some players from every being big gut runners and making that full time AFL mid transition - Rayner a prime example. Could go on with a lot of others.

That is a concern when talking very top end picks. It's OK to get 30 at Coates level. But being a full time AFL midfielder (which is what you want with pick 1-3 ILO) requires a different level of fitness.
His aerobic fitness is good ,he ran the coates game out well,he has lost a bit of weight as he has got fitter .
The Coates games are a lot faster than say VFL ,you do a lot more running with it being a fairly free flowing game.
I never liked Rayner much overrated ,could never see him being much of a midfielder.

Reactions: 1 users
And this not going to school is an advantage but it works for us. Jagga has basically lived the life of a pro for this year, works for us.

Are we sure he is not enrolled in uni or working part time? Didn't Jack Higgings do the same?
You could say the same for any player ,who took the year off to just train and play football.,the upside of quite a few would be huge.

You could say the same for any player ,who took the year off to just train and play football.,the upside of quite a few would be huge.
Reckon the theory would b that young kids still doing school etc as well as footy part time would then still have a greater scope for growth and development once they enter a fully professional environment over someone who has already had a years head start in a premium regimen.
This would b my concern with Jagga, he's got a head start now but where would he be in 3 years time by comparison to the other top 5 contenders once they've hit the professional arena?

DiAmbrosio and Durham are examples of an issue some have been going on about for a while. Our VFL program identified them and they only ended up at Essendon because they had picks before we did in the MSD. There needs to be some advantage given to clubs to draft players out of their VFL programs imo.

I can't compare Jagga Smith to others in the draft and whether someone else turns out better is one thing but imo he is a lock to be a very good AFL player.
Yep has bugged me for decades,we find them, we play them ,we train them, but in OTHER COLOURS, THUK OFF AFL

I'm not sure if this has been asked already, but would any of you consider live trading our first pick for next year (or the year after if they bring that rule in) for another first rounder this year?

If there is plenty of depth here early would we back ourselves to not finish bottom 3 next year and try to get another top 5-10 pick this year if there was a player we really liked still on the board?

Reactions: 3 users

Spot on Sting,. We welcomed them into our program and a yr or 2 later another club comes in and takes them.
There should be either compensation with a pick in return or we able to put them on our list using round 6 or 7 equivalent picks.

This was my exact query which wasnt answered. Is he the next Jake Stringer?