2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

a debut against men,

in a must-win game,

in an arctic gale, pissing rain, with large freight ships for a crowd.

the definition of a tough slog

and winning the ball from a contest 18 times and clearing it from stoppages 8 times,

is quite an astonishing feat.

A knock on Jagga was undersized and outside whose not ready for the rigours.

and yet he dominates in a slog against journeymen, Big-Bodies ex-afl blokes at stoppages, that he dominated.

so as well as all his other attributes, we can add flippers, and ticker.

the knocks are being knocked off pretty emphatically, on a weekly basis

This unequivocally and firmly places jagga Smith as a contemporary of JHF, Harley Reid, Nick Daicos and Will Ashcroft.

and im pretty sure 15+ recruiters would agree

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I went to the match ,l went to Flemington and left after race 8,,love you Lindsey for the biggest priced winner of my life :giggle:.
I thought l would go on the way home ,and my mate wanted to stay away from his missus a bit longer lolol.

It was bloody *smile* house conditions ,strong wind blowing down one end ,and pissing rain for a fair bit of the match .
Without being too technical Willy used the ball better and Tigers didn't,,quite a few trying to play dry weather football.
Now Jagga ,he did some nice thing's ,and not so nice things ,but a lot of player's did to.
His endurance really stood out ,and it surprised me he looked bigger than a few player's out there .
I want to see more of him in better conditions in the VFL,it really was bad conditions ,l thought he did well,but certainly not going the early crow and saying no 1.

You already had my respect @bengal tigers but to front up at Willy in those atrocious conditions shows an unwavering commitment to the cause, either that or you are completely nuts ;) :)

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
Whatever you think mate ,but he's not a no 1.
We are going round in circles at the moment ,you don't see the academy games as playing against men ,even though the opposition are VFL sides

yep circles.

we'll know whose the No.1 pick on 20 November.

ripper draft

I'm not dismissing your view at all, Its just not really simple as that. It could turn out to be a Stringer v N Daicos at the same age, it could turn out to be Dusty v Parish at the same age. Point is, different types of players. We need a player like Smith, and we need a player like Lalor.

Smith has owned Lalor in other stats, like, disposals.

I was a bit of a Smith sceptic, but has cleared two key hurdles spectacularly well. Champs and VFL, and VFL in a freezing gale at that. Just keeps lifting his game. I'm extremely impressed.

I'd love Lalor too, but Smith is the most money in the bank player for me.
Lalor played mainly in the forward line in the champs,but he did shut down Smith when playing on him ,it's easy to get possessions when you play mainly outside a pack ,other's are doing the hard work .
N Daicos was a better junior than Smith ,much more attacking and damaging,but Daicos doesn't like close attention ,and my view of Smith is the same .

a debut against men,

in a must-win game,

in an arctic gale, pissing rain, with large freight ships for a crowd.

the definition of a tough slog

and winning the ball from a contest 18 times and clearing it from stoppages 8 times,

is quite an astonishing feat.

A knock on Jagga was undersized and outside whose not ready for the rigours.

and yet he dominates in a slog against journeymen, Big-Bodies ex-afl blokes at stoppages, that he dominated.

so as well as all his other attributes, we can add flippers, and ticker.

the knocks are being knocked off pretty emphatically, on a weekly basis

This unequivocally and firmly places jagga Smith as a contemporary of JHF, Harley Reid, Nick Daicos and Will Ashcroft.

and im pretty sure 15+ recruiters would agree
Clearances from stoppages are a grey area to me,because you can stand outside a pack ,and be the receiver and get awarded a clearance stat ,same as contested possessions ,a player can be a meter or two away from you and it's considered a contested possi.
He wasn't in the thick of the action a lot last night ,he sat off the packs quite a bit.

You already had my respect @bengal tigers but to front up at Willy in those atrocious conditions shows an unwavering commitment to the cause, either that or you are completely nuts ;) :)
Lolol Yeah ,but l have watched nab cup games in ballarat in similar or worse conditions,even started snowing in one match .
The wind last night made it feel bloody freezing ,all the nutters who went to watch where all huddled in the grand stand ,or the lucky ones in the Willy club.

• Haha
He wasn't in the thick of the action a lot last night ,he sat off the packs quite a bit.

yes agree,

but I took that as 'smarts'

although he couldn't help himself a few times and dived for a ball in the mud against 95kg blokes a couple of times.

You'll fall in love with him round 1 next year.

Last edited:
Lolol Yeah ,but l have watched nab cup games in ballarat in similar or worse conditions,even started snowing in one match .
The wind last night made it feel bloody freezing ,all the nutters who went to watch where all huddled in the grand stand ,or the lucky ones in the Willy club.

the commentators were hilarious.

they said stuff like 'Siberian conditions'. and 'The league should never schedule a game on the bay at sunset in July ever again'

• Haha
the commentators were hilarious.

they said stuff like 'Siberian conditions'. and 'The league should never schedule a game on the bay at sunset in July ever again'
I agree,seriously what are they thinking having a night match in such a open place ,like the willy ground in the middle of winter .

Reactions: 1 user
yes agree,

but I took that as 'smarts'

although he could help himself a few times and dived for a ball in the mud against 95kg blokes a couple of times.

You'll fall in love with him round 1 next year.
I will love him if he is a Tiger ,but seriously l hope WC don't end with ,reid and Lalor together would be a force .
I was told Lalor is fairly close to Cadman ,must be because they come from The Marsh.
Get Lalor and Bring over Cadmann,works for me.
Also Welsh crows f/s and Lalor are close as well.

See how much better the back of this jumper looks than the one the AFL team now wears. Can’t believe they changed it.
Word is Puma made them by mistake. Not supposed to have the rear sash, but by the time they were manufactured they didn’t have time to fix them.

• Wow
Lalor beats Smith in physicality ,kicking ,marking ,tackling ,goal kicking ,simple as that.
Fos is a better kick than Smith ,even Draper is a better kick,and more physical and a better mark.

That might be true BT.

But Mick Jagga reads the ball and play better than anyone in this class. Lalor and co included.

He also has the vision to know what he is doing with the ball before he gets it and then executes faster than anyone else.

Essentially the smartest player in this draft. Hence why he wins so much football both in close and on the periphery.

Add his cleanliness, aerobic capacity and agility and that is a great skill set.

Reactions: 4 users
I will love him if he is a Tiger ,but seriously l hope WC don't end with ,reid and Lalor together would be a force .
I was told Lalor is fairly close to Cadman ,must be because they come from The Marsh.
Get Lalor and Bring over Cadmann,works for me.
Also Welsh crows f/s and Lalor are close as well.
Hey Bengal do to you see Lalor as a full time midfielder or more of a forward with spurts in the middle?

Blair better be working the phones. What this debate between ezy and Bengal shows me is we must get another top 10 pick.

Must.

Reactions: 5 users
Lalor played mainly in the forward line in the champs,but he did shut down Smith when playing on him ,it's easy to get possessions when you play mainly outside a pack ,other's are doing the hard work .
N Daicos was a better junior than Smith ,much more attacking and damaging,but Daicos doesn't like close attention ,and my view of Smith is the same .
Mainly outside?lol
Get off the grass.

Yep this is a must. But how?
Thinking it will go something like this or thereabouts.
1. Smith.
2. Smillie.
3. Trainor
4. FOS.
5. Draper.
6. Lalor.
You either go for the guaranteed Smith at pick 1 or you trade it for pick 4&5. and grab two very good players and hope Smith is one of them because we all know that Smillie and FOS are highly rated by a lot of clubs and that North are heavily linked to Trainor.

Thinking it will go something like this or thereabouts.
1. Smith.
2. Smillie.
3. Trainor
4. FOS.
5. Draper.
6. Lalor.
You either go for the guaranteed Smith at pick 1 or you trade it for pick 4&5. and grab two very good players and hope Smith is one of them because we all know that Smillie and FOS are highly rated by a lot of clubs and that North are heavily linked to Trainor.

If FoS gets back near his best in the coates stuff he could still go 1 ILO.

Lot still to play out with who goes where.