2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Amazed Sims and Whitlock are so low.

I've said it all year, this is a really good draft. You want as many picks inside 30 as you can get. I'm more open to splitting pick 1 than ever before.

Mids who can spread hard and key forwards. You can get plenty this draft.

on paper, its the deepest draft in my memory.

I dont have a very good memory though

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Saint fans rated Toce.

his last 3 hauls were v impressive

Windhager (boom)
Mitch Owens (boom)
Wanganeen Milera (boom)

Olli Hotton
James Van Ess
Phillipou (I dont rate him, saints fans do)

Lance Collard (looking good)
Darcy Wilson (Boom)

very good recent strike rate
Agree , I like their last few years of recruitment.

Would love to know why he was made redundant

Is Ashcroft at 1 on Tomby's list good for us? Bears gonna need a *smile* load of points to draft that high.

Give West Coast Pick 1 for Harley Reid if we can get him to leave.

If Ashcroft is better than his older brother then worth considering - question can you build a premiership team around him.

Give West Coast Pick 1 for Harley Reid if we can get him to leave.

If Ashcroft is better than his older brother then worth considering - question can you build a premiership team around him.
Why would they take it?

They wouldn't let him go if they were somehow offered the 2024 & 25 number 1 picks

Reactions: 1 user
Is Ashcroft at 1 on Tomby's list good for us? Bears gonna need a *smile* load of points to draft that high.

think they've already traded out of the draft in anticipation of Ashcroft so I dont they have much on offer?

upgrading our 21 to their pick 15 would be nice.

I think Lombard top 3 would be better high up for us, cause GC have current pick 7 and 8 we could get into,

you think our No.1 would be especially appealing to them so they can grab the best non-academy plus Lombard?

we could do pick 1 for 7 and 8,

then Bakes and 8 to WC for 3 (by points value, values Bakes at pick 25)

turn 1 and bakes into 3 and 7?

take a look at Toomey and RmC draft ranking and see what 3, 7 and 15 buys

its pretty compelling.

Last edited:
Bakes and 8 to WC for 7?
WOT???

There's talk West Coast might trade pick 3 for all three of Freo's first-rounders (currently 7, 10, 14). We could get one of those for Bakes, let's say pick 10.

Jack Graham goes as a free agent. Some think he might attract a good enough deal to get us a second-rounder (pick 22). I think it's more likely end of the second round (pick 39).

So now we'd have 1, 10, 21, 34, 39, 40, 42, 53, 58, 64, 67.

Gold Coast have picks 8 and 9. They will trade both of these - one for an established player (Rioli their #1 target) and one either for points to pay for Lombard or into next year. They also have pick 20 which they might move into next year lest it be swallowed by the Lombard bid. We could get pick 9 (1469 points) by trading them 34, 39, 40, 58, 64 (1700 points).

Now we have 1, 9, 10, 21, 42, 53, 67.

We could leave it at that. Great hand. But could we also target Brisbane's pick 15 (1112 points)? 21 and 42 = 1273. Not sure that works for them given 21 would go in an Ashcroft bid anyway. Let's leave it.

1 - FOS
9 (11 after bids) - Allan/Langford/Travaglia
10 (12) - Hotton/Lindsay/Reid
21 (23) - Sims/Armstrong/Shanahan/Faull/Dodson
42 - some leftover gem
53 - possible gem or move it into next year
67 - move to next year

Keep Shai and Danny.

Reactions: 4 users
WOT???

There's talk West Coast might trade pick 3 for all three of Freo's first-rounders (currently 7, 10, 14). We could get one of those for Bakes, let's say pick 10.

Jack Graham goes as a free agent. Some think he might attract a good enough deal to get us a second-rounder (pick 22). I think it's more likely end of the second round (pick 39).

So now we'd have 1, 10, 21, 34, 39, 40, 42, 53, 58, 64, 67.

Gold Coast have picks 8 and 9. They will trade both of these - one for an established player (Rioli their #1 target) and one either for points to pay for Lombard or into next year. They also have pick 20 which they might move into next year lest it be swallowed by the Lombard bid. We could get pick 9 (1469 points) by trading them 34, 39, 40, 58, 64 (1700 points).

Now we have 1, 9, 10, 21, 42, 53, 67.

We could leave it at that. Great hand. But could we also target Brisbane's pick 15 (1112 points)? 21 and 42 = 1273. Not sure that works for them given 21 would go in an Ashcroft bid anyway. Let's leave it.

1 - FOS
9 (11 after bids) - Allan/Langford/Travaglia
10 (12) - Hotton/Lindsay/Reid
21 (23) - Sims/Armstrong/Shanahan/Faull/Dodson
42 - some leftover gem
53 - possible gem or move it into next year
67 - move to next year

Keep Shai and Danny.
typo - fixed

it should have read

Bakes and 8 (GC) to WC for 3. values Bakes at pick 25 .

I like everything about your scenario

except Jagga Smith doesn't have a diagonal yellow strip

Or, if we trade Danny to GC, we get picks 8 and 20.

1 - FOS
8 (10) / 9 (11) / 10 (12) - three of Allan/Langford/Travaglia/Hotton/Lindsay/Reid. Maybe Jagga, Lalor or Trainor slide to 10.
20 (22) and 21 (23) - two of Sims/Armstrong/Shanahan/Faull/Dodson/Whitlock/O'Farrell/Gerreyn
42 - best of what's left or move into next year.

Move 53 and 67 into next year.

Travaglia rated too high for mine. He had a great championships and there's a lot to like about him, but he's a really poor kick of the football in all reality. Watched a few of his Coates games and its not great.

Whatever team draft's him will have to lump that a bit with him. Big big engine, courageous, good overhead. But lacks a bit of execution and decision making. And we are already overweight in that respect with this Richmond list. We need big time upskilling.

About 20 or thereabouts for mine.

Gold Coast is going to be the driver for whatever happens in our off season IMO.

This article shows the academy picks they have coming through in the next year or 2.

So at least 1, maybe 2 academy picks this year. They currently have the 2nd highest number of points in the draft (behind us), with 5,419 points. Some of those they will 100% try and move into next year. I'm not sure where all those 4 for next year are ranked, I've only heard of Uwland potentially being a 1st, so they may not need to move a heap.

So for this year, lets say they have Lombard at 3, they would need 1,787 points to match him, leaving a whole heap of picks on the table.

Their later picks of 28,35,51 and 71 equal 1,487 points so largely pay for Lombard, so I think they will focus on what they can do with their 1st 3. Bear in mind there is also the extra complication that Ainsworth may also decide to leave them as a FA, he will probably get either end of 1st of 2nd round so either pick 21 or 29. Lets say they get a 2nd for him, thats 29. Add that to the 28,35,51 and 71, and that gives them points equalling 2,140, easily enough to match Lombard and probably Gulbin too as I haven't heard of him being high up on the list.

The other thing to consider is I'm pretty sure that their list is still enlarged from the concessions they were given a few years ago. Looks to me from this list like they have 45 on their list, 44 on the main and rookie lists and 1 Cat B, so they also need to cut 2 just to get back to the right numbers, so I can't see them taking too many extra draft picks this year.

So:
Option 1 - Trade for a player /s - I think this is their priority hence their interest in Dan and Dusty.
Option 2 - Trade those 2 top 10 picks higher, to get ahead of a Lombard bid and get another top draftee.
Option 3 - Trade into next year

So for them, what provides best value? Probably 1 or 2 IMO. If they trade into next year then that will probably result in those picks sliding a bit into the teens, hence why a few 2nds as I've suggested may provide a better option.

What we know is those 3 picks mean zilch to GC in terms of where they sit in the draft order this year, they are purely a commodity worth 3,932 points as it currently stands. Its why I think if Dan decides to leave, then we need to push for both of their 2 top 10 picks with us giving something back.

• Wow
Reactions: 7 users
Travaglia rated too high for mine. He had a great championships and there's a lot to like about him, but he's a really poor kick of the football in all reality. Watched a few of his Coates games and its not great.

Whatever team draft's him will have to lump that a bit with him. Big big engine, courageous, good overhead. But lacks a bit of execution and decision making. And we are already overweight in that respect with this Richmond list. We need big time upskilling.

About 20 or thereabouts for mine.

For some reason he's 1 that I don't really want. Maybe its what you've written above, but something just has me thinking pass for some reason, at least in the not for us basket.

Reactions: 1 users
Or, if we trade Danny to GC, we get picks 8 and 20.

1 - FOS
8 (10) / 9 (11) / 10 (12) - three of Allan/Langford/Travaglia/Hotton/Lindsay/Reid. Maybe Jagga, Lalor or Trainor slide to 10.
20 (22) and 21 (23) - two of Sims/Armstrong/Shanahan/Faull/Dodson/Whitlock/O'Farrell/Gerreyn
42 - best of what's left or move into next year.

Move 53 and 67 into next year.

no jagga, no deal

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users