2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Ive never really got trading value for picks. always seems pretty random.

but how the hell does Lachy Shultz get pick 7 (Collingwood future first)

and Bakes get 18?

same age, same size.

one is a double premiership star, one is struggling to get a game
Shultz was contracted, Freo didn't want him to leave, they made Collywobbles pay overs to release him.

Reactions: 2 users
So Kako off the table and guaranteed to Essendon.
And Malaka Champion to West Coast.
What a scam

Yep - It's not so much thus year, but future years this is going to compromise the draft massively. To save typing again, posted on it a month or so ago.

Some talk here on Academy's. Leysy's view.

Not stressed about interstate clubs academy's. The AFL are on record that it will all change and clubs paying a truer worth compared to the joke it is now. The only question is this year of next. For our sake with all our later picks let's hopefully it is next year.

The NGA is the one am worried about. You can hear the jungle drums that some clubs and the AFL want to open this up. i.e. If you have an NGA product you can draft him anywhere. Bad Bad move. Most of these players would have been drafted anyway. Unlike club academy's in growing states, you aren’t bringing these guys into the game, they come in on a pathway the same as everyone else. Look at Mac Andrew - One of the very very best players of his draft year and a future star you can build a club around. He would have went to Melbourne who had won that years flag. On the back of doing very litttle to develop him. Ugle-Hagen similar.

They aren't expanding the game and there are two very big downsides:

1. It will even more compromise the draft. Between Academy's and NGA half the first round (or more) in any given year will be academy selections.
  2. And even more importantly, it will be impossible to make zones equal. Some clubs will get fantastic zones that will have a truckload of talent. Similar to the 80's where Hawthorn's era was largely built on being gifted the best recruiting zone in the league. Whilst other's will have a scarce supply of talent - year after year. Unfortunately can see it happening as interstate clubs are pushing heavily for it. Can also see it being an unmitigated disaster that will absolutely cruel some clubs. The whole NGA academy's should be wound up, not expanded.

Reactions: 5 users
So Kako off the table and guaranteed to Essendon.
And Malaka Champion to West Coast.
What a scam

On the flip side, if Kako’s form continues rising and the Bombers end top 4, we might have another trading partner in need of points

West Coast trade Pick 3 to Freo for Picks 7 & 10.

Pick 10 to Richmond for Baker and Pick 21.

Reactions: 1 user
As for Taranto and Hopper together is there one game this year when you thought that has been a success?
The truth is our mids have been smashed all year. And the other truth is that these two when together have shown evidence of trying very hard, which effort hasn’t been enough.

So you are saying that our midfield issues are solely their issue and not the balance that the others bring? Strange take.

Picks:
1, 21, 34 Fremantle, 39, 41 West Coast, 52 Fremantle, 57, 63 Collingwood and 66 Port Adelaide.

Delist:
Colina,* Coulthard, Cumberland, Dow, Grimes, Prestia and Sonsie.

Trade:
a) Baker, Broad, Graham and future 2nd to West Coast for pick 3.
b) Lynch to Melbourne for Oliver and pick 6.
c) Picks 41, 52, 57, 63 and 66 (1,032) to Brisbane for future 1st.

List:
42-6-4+ Blight, Gray, Oliver and
Picks:
1 Smith,
3 O’Sullivan,
6 Lalor,
21 Armstrong,
34 Lindsay
and 39 Davidson
plus pick 1 in PSD Ell Nour, a list of 42 + Hale Brown.

B Blight Miller Vlastuin Vice Captain,
HB Brown Ell Nour Trezise
C Ralphsmith Rioli D Bolton
HF Bauer Balta McAuliffe
F Davidson Lefau Gray
R Nankervis Captain, Oliver Taranto
I/C Gibcus Hopper Mansell Martin
Sub Short.
So you are saying that our midfield issues are solely their issue and not the balance that the others bring? Strange take.
No, just that Taranto and Hopper in the midfield together at a centre bounce are too slow to be able to compete successfully against the mids of the seven odd teams I named, which actually have vastly superior speed.

• Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: 3 users
West Coast trade Pick 3 to Freo for Picks 7 & 10.

Pick 10 to Richmond for Baker and Pick 21.
Remember the first pick of round 2 is highly sought after so I wouldn't be giving that up too easily, assuming we remain on the bottom.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

If it played out like that you trade pick 1 down for sure

And get a couple of picks 10-30!!!!

The narrative on Smilie is really weird. I feellike im being gaslit.

'Despite an underwhelming championships ..... still our no1 .... able to dominate his peers'

But no excuses offered to why he didnt dominate his peers?

Ive never ever seen so many constant qualifiers on a no.1 as smilie? Cam raynor maybe?

'Worked into the game' 'despite' 'got better' 'underlwhelming'!!!!

These simply arent things we read of daicos, ashcroft, reid, jhf.

No.1's dont come with a cooling off period and shouldnt carry qualifiers

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Picks:
1, 21, 34 Fremantle, 39, 41 West Coast, 52 Fremantle, 57, 63 Collingwood and 66 Port Adelaide.

Delist:
Colina,* Coulthard, Cumberland, Dow, Grimes, Prestia and Sonsie.

Trade:
a) Baker, Broad, Graham and future 2nd to West Coast for pick 3.
b) Lynch to Melbourne for Oliver and pick 6.
c) Picks 41, 52, 57, 63 and 66 (1,032) to Brisbane for future 1st.

List:
42-6-4+ Blight, Gray, Oliver and
Picks:
1 Smith,
3 O’Sullivan,
6 Lalor,
21 Armstrong,
34 Lindsay
and 39 Davidson
plus pick 1 in PSD Ell Nour, a list of 42 + Hale Brown.

B Blight Miller Vlastuin Vice Captain,
HB Brown Ell Nour Trezise
C Ralphsmith Rioli D Bolton
HF Bauer Balta McAuliffe
F Davidson Lefau Gray
R Nankervis Captain, Oliver Taranto
I/C Gibcus Hopper Mansell Martin
Sub Short.

No, just that Taranto and Hopper in the midfield together at a centre bounce are too slow to be able to compete successfully against the mids of the seven odd teams I named, which actually have vastly superior speed.
You had the audacity to say a post I made the other day was "dumb", when you'd missed the joke, then you post this?

3 players and a future pick, for pick 3? Garbage decisions.
You think Melbourne will give up their best, but troubled midfielder, for a busted key forward and a high pick? Lynch may only have 1 season left. That high pick should play 200 games.
You've cut a young guy under contract. What message would that send to others about our integrity, about the way we do business?

Tell me where the punchline is, cause if this is serious, I'd be staking out every cash converters store in Melbourne to make sure you aren't going to sell the family silver.

Reactions: 6 users

if that was the order,

Im splitting 1 (and Danny?) into 3 and 8 through WC Freo and GC

and grabbing Jagga and Draper.

im turning (bakes and) 21 into 15 and 25

and grabbing Joe Berry and Harvey Langford

and hopping to grab Tom Sims at a slightly upgraded 34

under these rankings, with our hand, and just some straightforwardness at the trade table

Jagga, Draper, Berry, Langford and Sims

is a realistic haul.

its an expansion club compo establishment haul, without a useless boys club plant taking the picks

its one giant step in a rebuild

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Does our NGA exist?
We got anyone worth developing or picking up?
Yeah we might have a good one in 2026,Tanner Armstrong ,he has been playing really good football for Vic country in the u16 champs .
We have Lockwood this year ,l think we where always safe to get him anyway ,if we want him .

Reactions: 5 users
Like Draper a lot. But despite big numbers, that game of Draper's on the weekend in the SANFL wasn't all that impressive I have to admit.

Reactions: 1 users