2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Whilst spitballing. Geez Travaglia has some traits.

He's all footballer and competitor. Just screams winner and leader. He won't go that high, but he'd have to be in the top 4-5 chances of making a long career. Looks bankable if not the absolute high ceiling.

Do those who have watched him a lot think he will make a midfielder. Love to see him used purely there at Coates level.

If he does reckon he should come right into calculations for us if we have a pick after 7-8.

Also, whilst it was a big high quality match with a lot of eyes on it and some players pushed there case, reckon be wary of over reacting to some of the poor performances off 1 game.

Especially someone like FoS. Gotta remember recruiters have been tracking these guys for 2,3 or more years in some cases.

He was player of the champs at under 16 level and made All Aus as a bottom ager last year. He can seriously play. and has already proven it.

He'll still be right up the very pointy end (top 2) of every clubs boards ILO.
Travaglia had a super consistent carnival.Don’t know if they’ve picked the AA team yet but he deserves a spot down back for sure.10-25 in the draft wouldn’t surprise.

Reactions: 1 users
What about The Langford ? Where does he sit in rankings now ? Ok, he's got a hotel name for a surname but I thought he thoroughly deserved the best player of the Championships award. Played well in every game and yesterday, showed a bit of versatility as well by going forward after he copped what looked like a leg injury (corkie or ankle or something). Stayed on and took a mark or two parked in the forward line.

He's not overly quick, but he's tough, a good kick, 190cm versatile and can get from contest to contest.

A lot of rankings prior to the Championships didn't even have him in the top 25.

was a standout Larke medallist for me.

didn't play a bad game. he belong alongside Riley Saunders. similar.

I think hes a top 5 talent, along with the other 14 blokes.

im not knocking Lalor, hes one of the 14 blokes,

but on exposed form, I think he does everything Lalor does, including clutch goals, but 4 quarters a match, every match.

Langford goes at 2 goals a game in Coates to go with 30+ week in week out.

on goals, im pretty sure Joe Berry is significantly more dangerous than Nick Watson was last year, but hes nearly a foot taller and not a *smile*

Reactions: 2 users
we need both.

if Nick Daicos and sam walsh are nice footballers,

we definitely need a couple of nice footballers.

in terms of physicality, yesterdays game was hot, and jagga particularly took a lot of heat in a hot game.

your lad lalor was put on him for 15 minutes to slow him up a bit.

it didn't work.
15 minutes what game where you watching ,more like 5-10 minutes ,and Jagga turned it over a few times ,he didn't like the close attention.
Daicos and even Walsh where better juniors than Jagga ,much more damaging.

Interesting. Have been thinking more Tom Papley style and moments wise.
I'm not sure Berry has that burst of pace.

Now lets get one thing straight,when we recruit any player this year,they won't be playing consistent football for a few years ,TT,Hopper ,etc will be on the way out by then ,so if we are going to get a quicker player for the midfield for now,we need to trade in or FA.
Disagree. Reid, Sheezel, McKerker, Caleb Windsor, Will Ashcorft, George Wardlaw (when fit) have all shown you can come in and make a major contribution early on. They might not be your number one onballer but they can come in and be rotation. Yesterday if we had Jagga Smith and Murphy Reid out there with Prestia, Hooper and Taranto our ball movement and transition running both ways would've been better.

Reactions: 3 users
Are you sure ? At the 9.58 mark of the 3rd quarter he gets tackled and goes down awkwardly. He gets up holding his knee or calf and hobbles off. If it was his shoulder, it didn't bother him too much because he took a couple of cracking overhead marks afterwards, fully stretched out.

Doesn't matter anyway. He went well again yesterday.

View attachment 23435
Yeah shoulder,because they re strapped it

15 minutes what game where you watching ,more like 5-10 minutes ,and Jagga turned it over a few times ,he didn't like the close attention.
Daicos and even Walsh where better juniors than Jagga ,much more damaging.

semantics now. I didn't have a stopwatch.

how come Lalor couldn't slow Jagga down in 10 minutes?

Jagga ran off him and FOS and got clearances at will.

if it looks like a duck, its a duck.

it will be clearly one well have to revisit in a couple of years,

unless Jagga gets 3 BOG in VFL the next 3 weeks,

which is quite possible I reckon

semantics now. I didn't have a stopwatch.

how come Lalor couldn't slow Jagga down in 10 minutes?

Jagga ran off him and FOS and got clearances at will.

if it looks like a duck, its a duck.

it will be clearly one well have to revisit in a couple of years,

unless Jagga gets 3 BOG in VFL the next 3 weeks,

which is quite possible I reckon
Go back and watch the match ,your in Jagga land ,maybe l should nick name you Bowie ,dancing in the streets :ROFLMAO: :(

• Haha
Go back and watch the match ,your in Jagga land ,maybe l should nick name you Bowie ,dancing in the streets :ROFLMAO: :(

will do.

did you time Jagga 2nd quarter spent resting in forward pocket?

I reckon about 20 minutes.

so essentially 25d, 16contested in 3/4, against the entire first round of a super draft.

a lot of good clearances too.

identified the mismatch in 2 steps, and put the match winning ball perfectly for trainor to win the game at the death.

travalglia was outsized and out positioned and saw Trainor was gonna swallow the Jagga ball, so he monstered him with the ball 20m away in the air

Last edited:
I'm not sure Berry has that burst of pace.

Disagree. Reid, Sheezel, McKerker, Caleb Windsor, Will Ashcorft, George Wardlaw (when fit) have all shown you can come in and make a major contribution early on. They might not be your number one onballer but they can come in and be rotation. Yesterday if we had Jagga Smith and Murphy Reid out there with Prestia, Hooper and Taranto our ball movement and transition running both ways would've been better.
All playing for clubs down the bottom ,except for Winsor ,but finals are a different beast .
We had Graham who was /is a hard at it player in his first year ,Geelong Selwood and he was as hard as it comes ,the physical players have more impact early and usually pass the finals test .

was a standout Larke medallist for me.

didn't play a bad game.

I think hes a top 5 talent, along with the other 14 blokes.

im not knocking Lalor, hes one of the 14 blokes,

but on exposed form, I think he does everything Lalor does, including clutch goals, but 4 quarters a match, every match.

Langford goes at 2 goals a game in Coates.

on goals, im pretty sure Joe Berry is significantly more dangerous than Nick Watson was last year, but hes nearly a foot taller and not a *smile*
I like Lawler but I'm going The Langford over him until I can be convinced that he is a genuine all day midfielder. He's been too heavy for a number of months now and hasn't really been pushed much in the Championships despite playing in the midfield for GWV at times.

A lot of talent reviews keep referring to his half forward craft which is nice, but I want a bona fide mid. I don't wanna be sitting here in 2 years time with people saying "why did we draft a hff ?"

If he plays mid in the Coates from here on in and can prove out beyond a shadow of a doubt that he's a hard running, go all day midfielder, then I'm all in.

Reactions: 4 users
I like Lawler but I'm going The Langford over him until I can be convinced that he is a genuine all day midfielder. He's been too heavy for a number of months now and hasn't really been pushed much in the Championships despite playing in the midfield for GWV at times.

A lot of talent reviews keep referring to his half forward craft which is nice, but I want a bona fide mid. I don't wanna be sitting here in 2 years time with people saying "why did we draft a hff ?"

If he plays mid in the Coates from here on in and can prove out beyond a shadow of a doubt that he's a hard running, go all day midfielder, then I'm all in.
He's played 1 coates games this year,and 2 and a half school games, and we have to wait for 2 weeks to see him back for the Rebels,unless he gets a VFL call up this week.

Chuck him in the guts. And leave him there.
Thats what they do at the coates games ,why the *smile* they have Corrigan as the VC coach is beyond me ,played his favorites even when they where getting beaten,and turning the ball over.

All playing for clubs down the bottom ,except for Winsor ,but finals are a different beast .
We had Graham who was /is a hard at it player in his first year ,Geelong Selwood and he was as hard as it comes ,the physical players have more impact early and usually pass the finals test .
I think next year we can be slightly better but I can't see us bouncing into the 8. And I left Daicos out!!

If we talk a mid at 1, I'd be disappointed barring injury if he didn't play 15 games in year 1.

Reactions: 3 users
GWS sliced through us from there back line,hardly any pressure ,and it's happened on many occasions through the year.

Now lets get one thing straight,when we recruit any player this year,they won't be playing consistent football for a few years ,TT,Hopper ,etc will be on the way out by then ,so if we are going to get a quicker player for the midfield for now,we need to trade in or FA.

Re-read what I wrote. I wasn't commenting on why we got opened up defensively, but why we couldn't open them up. We won the ball well out of clearance, but our disposal and leg speed to get free from stoppage is seriously lacking. We got opened up defensively and some of that certainly was the HF line, but we couldn't open the game up well enough going the other way because we don't have that speed or evasiveness to break away from stoppage, the 1st possession receivers which the likes of Smith, FOS and Draper would be, certainly in their early career. The only time we could do that was in the 4th when Shai went into the middle where we kicked 4.2. Funnily enough it made our ball use into the F50 look better, I wonder why that was?

That's me too. The run and jump grab was something to behold and in traffic he showed some really good signs but I want full-time mid who can go forward from day one not the other one around.

That's why I have Langford ahead of him. Based on performance and runs on the board. Langford is safer and offers a similar packaging.

There is one outstanding rider to our draft haul and that is the AFL has not confirmed this year's draft rules:mad:

VESTED INTERESTS AHEAD OF CEO CONFERENCE​

Carlton: Will have enough points to secure Ben and Lucas Camporeale but traded out Paddy Dow for late picks last year so are keen to retain the current bidding system this year, aware by the time they secure father-son Cody Walker in two years they will have to stump up a higher price.
Richmond: Have stockpiled late picks including 57, 64 and 88 it might have used in a package to secure an early pick that might be useless if all picks past selection 54 have no points value.
Brisbane: Have father-son Levi Ashcroft as a top 5 pick and academy first-rounder Sam Marshall and if the AFL radically changed the bidding system it would be appreciably harder to match bids for both of them.
GWS: Have ruckman Logan Smith as an academy pick midway through the draft but are more interested in preserving academy access in the future and the Opening Round in Sydney.
Essendon: Have livewire 175cm academy player Isaac Kako who could be a top 15 pick but he is available to the Dons only if the AFL changes the rules which currently allow Victorian clubs to secure academy picks if no one bids on them in the top 40 draft selections.
Gold Coast: Keen to retain academy talent pipeline, want better fixturing around travel and hope any academy changes are deferred to next year given academy mid Leo Lombard, who on Sunday jointly won the Larke Medal, is a top-10 pick in this draft.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Hey all, first time poster.

I've followed the draft closely for a number of years (but defs not a know it all).

I love this draft, and I think it's the best depth I've seen for a very long time. There's a lot of players I'd be happy with for us, however I think Tobie Travaglia and his quality is being slept on a little bit.

He was massive as a defender for country, however for the pioneers he's been playing fwd / mid so he's one of the most versatile players in the pool. He kicked 3 from 28 touches and nearly got Bendigo home single-handedly in his last game for them. Excellent decision maker and skill level, has burst and speed and is awesome overhead. Also has been captain so highly regarded leader. He would be in my top 5 at the moment.

My view is we need either midfielders with burst and skill, any forward with craft, and more key fwd talent. This draft has great options in all those areas.

Reactions: 17 users