2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

It was a chaotic finish to a great game. But what actually happened there? Was it a mark or did they call play on? Regardless it looked to me the ball was clearly over the behind line when he first touched it.

it looked like a mark to me, but dunno, I was 1500km away.

then while VM were all talking to the ump, day wicks just played on and stuck it through.

then the ump *smile* up probably an extra time finish. Trainor should have kicked from 55m, probably been rushed through for a tied game,

then next score wins.

would have been an all-time classic finish, that the ump utterly destroyed.

the last minute was the first time all day they enforced stand or protected area,

and then they enforced it wrong. the Vic Country player was miles away

the *smile* only used to *smile* up the firsts. now they're *smile* up the 2nds and 3rd regularly. doesn't bode well for the future.

those umps will be drafted into the senior system too.

Last edited:
there's any number of reasons. he might have had any number of the Petri dish of Melbournes cold snap respiratory infections.

those things will slow you up aerobically a month after you feel better I reckon.

I think he has the runs on the board and showed the glimpses first game back to be top 3.

im thinking the Ball/hodge/judd will be Jagga/Draper/FOS, complicated by norf taking trainor
all 3 were priority picks, talk about manipulating a result

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
I'm pretty sure the Travaglia 50 was for dissent, you could see him saying something to the ump and there was no other obvious infringement.

Reactions: 3 users
...has dominated local footy up here in the Wimmera. started the season as a CHB; but has been starting as the FF for the last month and a bit. very tough old school country footballer. wide shoulders and very strong core/ through the hips. AFL body already. very JVR style attack on the footy in the air. great goal kicking routine. love to see the Tigers have a chat to him this year...
Yeah l was surprised he never got taken late or as a rookie ,he played as a under sized key back 191cm for the rebels and was good .

yes and no.

Jagga will play VFL for Richmond the next few weeks

and just put a larger gap between him and No.2.

His stoppage craft will translate immediately to AFL level.

he watches the ball like a kelpie watches a sheep.

then he gets it, flows into space, arches his back and twists and turns to a bit like $hai, and handballs it to a bloke in space who can kick it to advantage.

he rarely hacks the ball by foot for a clearance.

he is a very smart, super competitive, and sees the game unfold before everyone else, and finds the ball again and again and again.

he also appears to have a big tank, and is able to absorb physical pressure.

he is completely balanced inside and outside. wins his own ball and spreads and receives.

he is an unusual 18yo, in he looks to go laterally through the middle of the ground, which comes from his ability to see a few possessions ahead.

he sees the best path to goal, and puts the ball in a teammates hands in space in where he has deemed the attacking zone.

I havnt watched him closely for defensive accountability, I assume it isn't there, and we may not want it there.

but he definitely runs deep defensively.
What about the knock? size?

My top ten in no particular order
1) Smith
2)Draper
3)Lalor
4)Trainor
5)Berry
6)Langford
7)Armstrong
8)Shanahan
9)Lindsay
10)Dattoli

Only based on the Championships

Lot of good judges appear to be liking the depth of this draft which hopefully leads to reward for a *smile* year .

Just about the toughest skill of a recruiter is knowing how good the player will be in an AFL environment in 3-4 years , not right now , looking very much like that kind of draft where some real Kiwi’s in the cup are coming hard

I was dead against trading Dan Rioli, however IF we can get BOTH of the earlier 1st rounders from GC as part of the deal AND trade up to take Brisbane's / Carltons picks, then I'm coming around to it. As much as I love Dan, we need to get Kaleb Smith into the team, and it looks like Short isn't going anywhere, plus Dan is 27. I'd personally have everyone in the 25 and under bracket off limits, but those above, if the deal is too good, then we'd have to consider it with the quality that we can see in this draft.

• Dislike
Reactions: 6 users
Any way my take on a few .
Sims like l have said before ,doesn't do enough off the ball,strong mark but not much else at the moment.
Aemstrong at least he works up the ground to get kicksand kicks well ,but another who needs to work on second efforts ,played on Barrat who has played forward most of the year,,why VC didn't add another genuine key back is mind boggling .

Trainor l thought was very good,not bad for a slow player hey RED.
Jagga at least he kept on going after getting rag dolled by Lalor for the 10 minutes they where on each other,l think they moved Lalor off him in case Jagga got injued .
Travaglia has been good all year ,showed more composure throughout the game,until the end.
Lindsay is a little underrated ,another who has been good all year ,mid first round is about were he sits.

I have read a few comments on here about Faull,l bet his gps is better than Armstrong and Sims put together ,does a lot of work off the ball ,and gets right up the ground ,he has missed a lot of training earlier in the year .
Kako l hope he's there in the second round ,we need his type

I am a bit bemused as to why VC didn't put Lalor and Hynes in the midfield in the last quarter ,Langford was spent and maybe injured .
Coates league will provide a lot into who we take

Reactions: 7 users
Any way my take on a few .
Sims like l have said before ,doesn't do enough off the ball,strong mark but not much else at the moment.
Aemstrong at least he works up the ground to get kicksand kicks well ,but another who needs to work on second efforts ,played on Barrat who has played forward most of the year,,why VC didn't add another genuine key back is mind boggling .

Trainor l thought was very good,not bad for a slow player hey RED.
Jagga at least he kept on going after getting rag dolled by Lalor for the 10 minutes they where on each other,l think they moved Lalor off him in case Jagga got injued .
Travaglia has been good all year ,showed more composure throughout the game,until the end.
Lindsay is a little underrated ,another who has been good all year ,mid first round is about were he sits.

I have read a few comments on here about Faull,l bet his gps is better than Armstrong and Sims put together ,does a lot of work off the ball ,and gets right up the ground ,he has missed a lot of training earlier in the year .
Kako l hope he's there in the second round ,we need his type

I am a bit bemused as to why VC didn't put Lalor and Hynes in the midfield in the last quarter ,Langford was spent and maybe injured .
Coates league will provide a lot into who we take
Yeah Trainor has had a good Championships. No doubt. Probably risen in my assessment as a result. Still think he's an interceptor type with a query on leg speed, but he's a great mark and kick of the football for sure. Doubt we'll be drafting him anyway.

What about the knock? size?

hes 182 tall and about 75kg.

I dont see any knock.

he was demolished by Lalor and then double hip and shoulder sandwiched between 2 VC's yesterday and bounced up.

he attacks a contested footy like Cotchy.

I see no knock whatsoever.

I actually dont see a single knock.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
hes 182 tall and about 75kg.

I dont see any knock.

he was demolished by Lalor and then double hip and shoulder sandwiched between 2 VC's yesterday and bounced up.

he attacks a contested footy like Cotchy.

I see no knock whatsoever.

I actually dont see a single knock.

He looks like a Butters type to me. As long as he attacks the ball and can attack the player with speed, then he will be fine IMO.

No mate l will leave that to you after reading a few posts about Jagga. :ROFLMAO:

I'd offer 5-1, that we dont take jagga with our first pick if hes on the board.

1. hes the best player in the pool and 2. hes precisely what we need.

if we can pair him with a big offensive inside mid (lalor or Langford) and get Joe Berry and one of the KPF,

it will be a giant rebuilding step.

if we happen to not have pick 1, and he's not on the board, I reckon we'd pivot to Sid Draper.

we're not looking for midfield muscle, we're set for 5 years with Taranto and hopper, mcauliffe, ross and maybe even Lefau ?

we are looking for midfield speed and polish.

Reactions: 6 users
He looks like a Butters type to me. As long as he attacks the ball and can attack the player with speed, then he will be fine IMO.

yeah. Id describe him as a Cotchin-Bolton-Walsh hybrid :oops:

not saying he'll be as good as those three (combined),

but thats how he plays.

if I had to nominate one, I reckon it'd be sam walsh

he is absolutely gifted at a stoppage. sees where the ball is going way before anyone else.

watch his stoppage craft. while everyone else is pushing and shoving and holding, he's just ignoring everything but the ball.

I'd offer 5-1, that we dont take jagga with our first pick if hes on the board.

1. hes the best player in the pool and 2. hes precisely what we need.

if we can pair him with a big offensive inside mid (lalor or Langford) and get Joe Berry and one of the KPF,

it will be a giant rebuilding step.

if we happen to not have pick 1, and he's not on the board, I reckon we'd pivot to Sid Draper.

we're not looking for midfield muscle, we're set for 5 years with Taranto and hopper, mcauliffe, ross and maybe even Lefau ?

we are looking for midfield speed and polish.

If I could like this post more than once I would. You are spot on, we have those taller, bulkier mids already in TT and Hopper and with Ross in that mix too. Our midfield looks so different when Shai goes in there, we've all lamented the lack of speed through our midfield, so we need to add that. That can come from leg speed, kicking skills, spread etc. I'd say with our 1st pick, I'd be absolutely stunned if we don't read out either FOS, Jagga or Drapers names, stunned completely.

Yeah Trainor has had a good Championships. No doubt. Probably risen in my assessment as a result. Still think he's an interceptor type with a query on leg speed, but he's a great mark and kick of the football for sure. Doubt we'll be drafting him anyway.
He’s Jordan Ridley. Tranior isn’t a key back, that’s why I’m not convinced North take him. He won’t stop the key forwards at the next level. North could easily move for a Harry Armstrong early to partner with Larkey.