2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

He’s Jordan Ridley. Tranior isn’t a key back, that’s why I’m not convinced North take him. He won’t stop the key forwards at the next level. North could easily move for a Harry Armstrong early to partner with Larkey.
Reasonable call I think. Maybe more a Ridley/Lever type. Every club has, or needs one though. He should be ok in that sort of role.

hes 182 tall and about 75kg.

I dont see any knock.

he was demolished by Lalor and then double hip and shoulder sandwiched between 2 VC's yesterday and bounced up.

he attacks a contested footy like Cotchy.

I see no knock whatsoever.

I actually dont see a single knock.
I do ,he turns the ball over a lot ,and doesn't like close physical attention .

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Reasonable call I think. Maybe more a Ridley/Lever type. Every club has, or needs one though. He should be ok in that sort of role.
I still like Trainor a lot but it’s about projecting what he can be at the next level. Best case is Jordan Dawson, he builds into a midfield type but I think he stays a back. His kicking is great and he is a general, at Coates game I’ve seen him marshall the troops. Between the mids and kpf I can see him sliding into 5-10 range through no fault of his own.

yeah. Id describe him as a Cotchin-Bolton-Walsh hybrid :oops:

not saying he'll be as good as those three (combined),

but thats how he plays.

if I had to nominate one, I reckon it'd be sam walsh

he is absolutely gifted at a stoppage. sees where the ball is going way before anyone else.

watch his stoppage craft. while everyone else is pushing and shoving and holding, he's just ignoring everything but the ball.
What we need are players in the forward half who can mark and put pressure on,,what we don't need are nice types ,the more physical the better.

He gave a very good impression of a player who can handle close physical attention yesterday.

And I'm skeptical of the turnover call, he plays a high degree of difficulty game, which can mean a few turnovers.

I'm on board after yesterday. Not necessarily as THE no 1, but A no. 1. I see a Walsh/ Daicos playmaker type.

What we need are players in the forward half who can mark and put pressure on,,what we don't need are nice types ,the more physical the better.

We also need speed and evasion out of the middle. Did you see the Giants just slice through us yesterday and we couldn't do it going back the other way? The only one that could was when Shai went into the middle in the final quarter when TT went down injured.

Our midfield is collectively too slow.

There is no problem having TT and Hopper in there, and Prestia used to be quick, but when you surround them with Graham, Baker etc, we are just too slow. If the latter 2 leave, then we have open spots to bring in speedier players. I think this is 1 of the reasons why Dow was given so much time, he has evasiveness, he just doesn't know how to really use it and generally has too many other deficiencies, but the type of player is what we need. Balancing a midfield going into next year with McAuliffe (after a big pre-season) and 1 or 2 of Smith, FOS, Draper, Reid, maybe even Hotton etc, changes the dynamic of our midfield and allows us to use Bolton as a burst midfielder in there for 5-10 mins per quarter to rip the game open.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
We also need speed and evasion out of the middle. Did you see the Giants just slice through us yesterday and we couldn't do it going back the other way? The only one that could was when Shai went into the middle in the final quarter when TT went down injured.

There is no problem having TT and Hopper in there, and Prestia used to be quick, but when you surround them with Graham, Baker etc, we are just too slow. If the latter 2 leave, then we have open spots to bring in speedier players. I think this is 1 of the reasons why Dow was given so much time, he has evasiveness, he just doesn't know how to really use it and generally has too many other deficiencies, but the type of player is what we need. Balancing a midfield going into next year with McAuliffe (after a big pre-season) and 1 or 2 of Smith, FOS, Draper, Reid, maybe even Hotton etc, changes the dynamic of our midfield and allows us to use Bolton as a burst midfielder in there for 5-10 mins per quarter to rip the game open.
Absolutely. We're screaming out for some midfield burst. There's been several games this year where it's really stood out big time. Yesterday was another.

Reactions: 3 users
Any way my take on a few .
Sims like l have said before ,doesn't do enough off the ball,strong mark but not much else at the moment.
Aemstrong at least he works up the ground to get kicksand kicks well ,but another who needs to work on second efforts ,played on Barrat who has played forward most of the year,,why VC didn't add another genuine key back is mind boggling .

Trainor l thought was very good,not bad for a slow player hey RED.
Jagga at least he kept on going after getting rag dolled by Lalor for the 10 minutes they where on each other,l think they moved Lalor off him in case Jagga got injued .
Travaglia has been good all year ,showed more composure throughout the game,until the end.
Lindsay is a little underrated ,another who has been good all year ,mid first round is about were he sits.

I have read a few comments on here about Faull,l bet his gps is better than Armstrong and Sims put together ,does a lot of work off the ball ,and gets right up the ground ,he has missed a lot of training earlier in the year .
Kako l hope he's there in the second round ,we need his type

I am a bit bemused as to why VC didn't put Lalor and Hynes in the midfield in the last quarter ,Langford was spent and maybe injured .
Coates league will provide a lot into who we take

Good stuff BT.

On why Lalor moved away from Mick Jagga. Far more likely he just doesn't have the tank to play long midfield minutes yet in a fast open game like yesterday.

Reckon that's why he has pretty divided opinions. Those that think he's fine aerobically and it's purely because of his limited prep Vs those who have a question mark on that area of his game and if it will translate to being a midfielder at AFL level or a forward who spends time in there.

And agree we need Kako's type. Am not convinced on him. Tidy little player sure - But is he actually that quick? Which he'll need to be.

Much prefer Berry in that type of role. He will probably go higher as well though.

Last edited:
  • Love
Good stuff BT.

On why Lalor moved away from Mick Jagga. Far more likely he just doesn't have the tank to play long midfield minutes in a fast open game like yesterday.

Reckon that's why he has pretty divided opinions. Those that think he's fine aerobically and it's purely because of his limited prep Vs those who have a question mark on that area of his game and if it will translate to being a midfielder at AFL level or a forward who spends time in there.

And agree we need Kako's type. Am not convinced on him. Tidy little player sure - But is he actually that quick? Which he'll need to be.

Much prefer Berry in that type of role. He will probably go higher as well though.
Kako is definitely quicker than Berry but not footballer fast. Berry reminds me a bit of Robbie Gray.

What about The Langford ? Where does he sit in rankings now ? Ok, he's got a hotel name for a surname but I thought he thoroughly deserved the best player of the Championships award. Played well in every game and yesterday, showed a bit of versatility as well by going forward after he copped what looked like a leg injury (corkie or ankle or something). Stayed on and took a mark or two parked in the forward line.

He's not overly quick, but he's tough, a good kick, 190cm versatile and can get from contest to contest.

A lot of rankings prior to the Championships didn't even have him in the top 25.

Reactions: 2 users
Whilst spitballing. Geez Travaglia has some traits.

He's all footballer and competitor. Just screams winner and leader. He won't go that high, but he'd have to be in the top 4-5 chances of making a long career. Looks bankable if not the absolute high ceiling.

Do those who have watched him a lot think he will make a midfielder. Love to see him used purely there at Coates level.

If he does reckon he should come right into calculations for us if we have a pick after 7-8.

Also, whilst it was a big high quality match with a lot of eyes on it and some players pushed there case, reckon be wary of over reacting to some of the poor performances off 1 game.

Especially someone like FoS. Gotta remember recruiters have been tracking these guys for 2,3 or more years in some cases.

He was player of the champs at under 16 level and made All Aus as a bottom ager last year. He can seriously play. and has already proven it.

He'll still be right up the very pointy end (top 2) of every clubs boards ILO.

Reactions: 6 users
Good stuff BT.

On why Lalor moved away from Mick Jagga. Far more likely he just doesn't have the tank to play long midfield minutes yet in a fast open game like yesterday.

Lalor has good endurance ,and so does hynes ,why they where kept up forward for most of the game is bewildering ,maybe Corrigan the VC coach preferred to gives his chargers from the falcons more game time in the midfield .
Yes Lalor is certainly not fully fit,but could of played more midfield time that what was given.

What about The Langford ? Where does he sit in rankings now ? Ok, he's got a hotel name for a surname but I thought he thoroughly deserved the best player of the Championships award. Played well in every game and yesterday, showed a bit of versatility as well by going forward after he copped what looked like a leg injury (corkie or ankle or something). Stayed on and took a mark or two parked in the forward line.

He's not overly quick, but he's tough, a good kick, 190cm versatile and can get from contest to contest.

A lot of rankings prior to the Championships didn't even have him in the top 25.
Shoulder injury ,not sure how bad it was,but he was spent in the last quarter,so not sure about his endurance .

GWS sliced through us from there back line,hardly any pressure ,and it's happened on many occasions through the year.

Now lets get one thing straight,when we recruit any player this year,they won't be playing consistent football for a few years ,TT,Hopper ,etc will be on the way out by then ,so if we are going to get a quicker player for the midfield for now,we need to trade in or FA.

we need both.

if Nick Daicos and sam walsh are nice footballers,

we definitely need a couple of nice footballers.

in terms of physicality, yesterdays game was hot, and jagga particularly took a lot of heat in a hot game.

your lad lalor was put on him for 15 minutes to slow him up a bit.

it didn't work.

I respect your opinion on junior footballers.

but I dont respect that statement.

when a player gets 30 disposals, 20 contested, and works angles,

hes going to turn the ball over.

perfection doesn't exist. dusty turns the ball over.

the physical attention is downright incorrect.

if it was true, it says Sam Lalor is a shrinking violet, which he clearly isn't. (see above)

but the debate is great,

especially when im gonna end up very correct.

Shoulder injury ,not sure how bad it was,but he was spent in the last quarter,so not sure about his endurance .
Are you sure ? At the 9.58 mark of the 3rd quarter he gets tackled and goes down awkwardly. He gets up holding his knee or calf and hobbles off. If it was his shoulder, it didn't bother him too much because he took a couple of cracking overhead marks afterwards, fully stretched out.

Doesn't matter anyway. He went well again yesterday.

1721011616684.jpeg

In today’s football, clean hands is as important as raw speed.
I’ve lost count how many times our on ballers fumble and second grab, especially at centre clearances only to watch the opposition take the ball off us. Dow probably our cleanest so may explain why they persevered so long. But he’s not quick or strong enough.
Speed and clean hands is what we desperately need. Get the ball into our forward line more often and we’ll find a way to score.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Kako is definitely quicker than Berry but not footballer fast. Berry reminds me a bit of Robbie Gray.

I see Stevie J in JB.

Spook sees Nathan Brown.

Snake sees Darren Bewick.

Hes a ripper.

kako clearly is too, but he'd simply have to get a haircut if we took him or I couldn't watch

Reactions: 1 user