2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Kako is definitely quicker than Berry but not footballer fast. Berry reminds me a bit of Robbie Gray.
They both look quick to me. Berry's pace really stood out last week V Allies live at the game.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Great first post groovy!

Welcome to the room, the more the merrier

Im gonna throw you in the deep end and ask

Whose your top3 currently?

(I know its like asking you to list 3 things that would never have occured to you)
I'd go with this for my top 3:

1. Jagga
2. Draper
3. O'Sullivan (I'm holding until I see another month, however 7 touches in a massive game like that surely brings him with the pack now)

what would yours be??

It's a blanket at the top. I could debate any of the next group ahead of these guys which include Travaglia, Trainor, Ashcroft, Langford, Lombard, Lalor, Berry & Hynes, Sims, Allan etc.

Couple of guys I like lower down the order:
- Jaxon Artemis (I love the pace / skill combination as more of a developmental player)
- Kayle Gerryn (massive unit but is a great athlete and didnt mind his work up fwd)

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I was dead against trading Dan Rioli, however IF we can get BOTH of the earlier 1st rounders from GC as part of the deal AND trade up to take Brisbane's / Carltons picks, then I'm coming around to it. As much as I love Dan, we need to get Kaleb Smith into the team, and it looks like Short isn't going anywhere, plus Dan is 27. I'd personally have everyone in the 25 and under bracket off limits, but those above, if the deal is too good, then we'd have to consider it with the quality that we can see in this draft.
Same here, the idea of losing too much experience just sets you back and back, especially since I love Rioli and he's been incredible for our club on and off.

However we might have a rare chance to really load up here if we get the two firsts.

Other thing as well is that if we were to go poorly next year, I'm very big on Dyson Sharp for 2025 draft. Already playing SANFL reserves and showed plenty in the champs

No trolling just disagreeing ,He does have a decent turnover rate .

gapped the field for CP yesterday. he got 16.

next best was Josh 'paddy Cripps' Smilie and Lindsay on 10. big Langford on 9.

outside? no physicality? hahahahahahahahahahahah

went at 84% DE yesterday.

for a reference point, Sam Lalor went at 62%.

I think they measure disposal efficiency when a kick or a handball end up in a teammates hands

jagga also lead the way for inside 50's and was 3rd behind Lindsay and Travaglia for metres gained.

and all that in what was widely regarded as one of the best, hottest, u18 games in memory.

so we can put the 'avoid physicality', 'possessions dont damage' and 'turnover merchant' all to bed to I reckon

hmmmmmm.

appreciate your insights but suggest you go quietly into the night on Jagga,

before he dominates VFL in a tiger jumper the rest of this month

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
No Tsatas vibes,,high possession and clearance winner ,but not great in the physical stuff ,tackling etc.

I always expect Geelong to bottom out ,and yet they keep on going ,the youngsters they bring in are usually physically ready ,and are contested types .

Re the Tsatas concerns - fair question.

But there are big differences for leysy. Firstly the contested possession numbers.

At the state champs the respective ratio's were:

Tsatas - 27% contested
Jagga - 42% contested

Massive difference. Mick wins his own ball. In fact he's showing he's probably the undisputed best contested ball and clearance player of his year. Tsatas had some question marks on his contested work on PRE before his draft for that reason.

You seem to have questioned his physical stuff a bit BT. It doesnt mean everything, but His old man was a champion country footballer who was as tough as nails, his grandfather Ricky from all reports was tougher again. Leysy's old man played with and against him and reckons he's as tough and as good a footballer of his era on the North West Coast behind Tasmania's greatest - Doc Baldock.

In short, from when he had nappies he's been taught to play footy the right way. Hard and tough, you see ball you win it - despite his frame.

Working theory - Reckon, it is easy, for some of these guys well exposed at the top, for pundits including clubs themselves, to pick them apart too much and focus on what they can't do, what weaknesses they have - And not the elite strengths. Reckon that might be happening a bit here for those that are cool on him.

In Mick's case (despite Ezy's posts ha) he aint perfect. He does lack depth in his kicking and he does have slight frame.

But he is also absolutely elite at reading the ball, his cleanliness, his hands, his agility and what Leysy loves most - He knows exactly what he's doing with the ball before he gets it - And then executes. He's thinking ahead of everyone else.

It's why he has that Nick Daicos trait of winning so many contested possessions without anyyone really noticing. He turns contested situations for his team into clean outside ball better and faster than anyone.

Also dont really have a knock on his kicking (outside its depth). Yes he doesnt always go forwards (though he did have 425m gained yesterday), but generally always uses it to the best advantage of his team. But yes his hands are better.

Been in Micks corner all along, but He's not a nailed on number one on Leysy's list yet - For whatever that's worth (not much). Reckon still a bit to play out between FoS, Sid and Mick yet.

Anyway - end of rant ha!

Last edited:
Reactions: 16 users
In Mick's case (despite Ezy's posts ha) he aint perfect. He does lack depth in his kicking and he does have slight frame.

I'll own my bullishness.

but you are gouging the barrel for knocks.

He kicks deeper than Cotchy.

and, while he's no Will Gould, hes not Nick 'the *smile*' Watson either.

at 20yo, he'll be 182/82

and hopefully captain of RFC.

but, the debate is great.

its a stunning consolation prize to be in the frame to pick some ripping kids from a super draft.

can't wait to see our Jagga play VFL.

Yeah dunno what else Smith can do. BOG in the midfield, where the best players play, in the best junior champs game I've ever seen. So much class, smarts, vision, damage and second efforts. As I've said, I was a mild sceptic, happy to get him but preferred others. Not anymore. Most of his possessions were eye catching, a few were off the charts champagne city.

As for the light frame, I'm supremely confident it won't matter for the type of player he is. He'll get as hardened as he need to. He's one of those strong skinny rangey types you can't hurt. The fact he got cleaned up a couple of times yesterday by bigger players, and bounced straight up and kept playing well, is a tick not a cross.

Having said that, I'm glad I'm not making the call. Right now I'd be rapt if we got Jagga, FOS or Draper at no. 1.

Check this out. Its all there really. The extractions out of the packs at 2 and 3.2 minutes are doozies. And his kicking is not clinton king, a couple of long, low and accurate 45m passes in there. Which when squared with the pros, isn't much of a con.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
Haha. He was not at the top end for SI.
9 Langford
8 Lindsay
7 J.Whitlock, Armstrong
6 Moraes, Matofai-Forbes, Day-Wicks, Berry
5 Smith, Reid, Gross

there's a lot of refutation bias going on this kid.

if it waddles and quacks and has a bill,

its a duck

there's a lot of refutation bias going on this kid.

if it waddles and quacks and has a bill,

its a duck
Not at all. I've said all along I like him, even more after yesterday. But scoreboard impact is a legit question when you're nitpicking for pick 1.

Re the Tsatas concerns - fair question.

But there are big differences for leysy. Firstly the contested possession numbers.

At the state champs the respective ratio's were:

Tsatas - 27% contested
Jagga - 85% contested

With respect, the question was comparing the two's physicality,

and that data clearly shows

it wasn't a fair question.

it was, by the numbers,

a really stupid question.

we've all asked 'em

Not at all. I've said all along I like him, even more after yesterday. But scoreboard impact is a legit question when you're nitpicking for pick 1.

fair,

and yes try get it all at No.1.

but it'd be easier to win a cox plate with a unicorn, than find a flawless footballer.

dusty couldnt catch.

It's why he has that Nick Daicos trait of winning so many contested possessions without anyyone really noticing. He turns contested situations for his team into clean outside ball better and faster than anyone.
Great summary Leysy. I particularly like this bit, seems Smith has similar traits to ND.

For a "soft" player Daicos wins a stack of CP. Daicos knows how to protect himself and win a free kick. It ain't no crime. He doesn't need to have a Cotchin like attack on the ball because he reads it so well and has the hands, speed and agility to avoid contact. And with the way the game is going on contact/tackling these traits of clean hands/speed and agility will continue to demand a premium.

Reactions: 4 users