2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

So is Jagga the clear no.1 now? And are there any more champ games where it may change?

Reactions: 1 user
Whats you guys thinking of the performance of both Smillie & FOS.
Will they drop out of the top 3?
I know FOS has somekind of an excuse match fitness etc but you should be able to show something which he didn't.
Smillie not sure if he tanking(Who does he barrack for)but to an untrained eye like myself he wouldn't be top 20 let alone top 3.
Also is Trainor almost too good to pass up?

So is Jagga the clear no.1 now? And are there any more champ games where it may change?

yes and no.

Jagga will play VFL for Richmond the next few weeks

and just put a larger gap between him and No.2.

His stoppage craft will translate immediately to AFL level.

he watches the ball like a kelpie watches a sheep.

then he gets it, flows into space, arches his back and twists and turns to a bit like $hai, and handballs it to a bloke in space who can kick it to advantage.

he rarely hacks the ball by foot for a clearance.

he is a very smart, super competitive, and sees the game unfold before everyone else, and finds the ball again and again and again.

he also appears to have a big tank, and is able to absorb physical pressure.

he is completely balanced inside and outside. wins his own ball and spreads and receives.

he is an unusual 18yo, in he looks to go laterally through the middle of the ground, which comes from his ability to see a few possessions ahead.

he sees the best path to goal, and puts the ball in a teammates hands in space in where he has deemed the attacking zone.

I havnt watched him closely for defensive accountability, I assume it isn't there, and we may not want it there.

but he definitely runs deep defensively.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
I know FOS has somekind of an excuse match fitness etc but you should be able to show something which he didn't.
Smillie not sure if he tanking(Who does he barrack for)but to an untrained eye like myself he wouldn't be top 20 let alone top 3.
yeah, im no expert on spotting the finest junior talent but Smillie looks very pedestrian to me.

Disappointing. Both. Especially Smillie.

FOS looked like his head was going to explode in the first quarter he was so underdone. He's had a hand injury so nothing has really stopped him from putting the miles into his legs, so I don't know how he's come back looking so aerobically cooked ?

Reactions: 1 users

1. I think FOS has the runs on the board to remain top 3.

hes only out in one quite game on return from injury.

2. Ive had smilie in the 10-20 range all year. my thoughts on him are clear. I think hes a cumbersome footballer bordering on clumsy. but his size and power and endurance makes him a first rounder.

3. you have to take Trainor if you pick where he is ranked (hes a top 5 talent, but so are 14 other blokes, so it will be an unpredictable order and someone may get very lucky and get him 5-10). But I can't see Norf not taking him with their first pick due to the family connection and there lack of KPD and excess of gun mids

I am. Who cares. Wasn't Scoop's point. It was that he showed some serious physical intent, that was the point. It was good to see in terms of assessing the overall make up of the kid ie that he might pass the physical contact side of things.

Just like we can tick off his foot skills, maybe we can tick off his physical pressure ?
Think you’ve completely misread and misinterpreted this.
Wasn’t even replying to Scoop.
eZyT was opining whether he should get 2-4 weeks for the bump.
I loved his intent and couldn’t give a rats about the result so was actually agreeing with Scoop.
But now take the subtle point about the difference in rules between underage and AFL

FOS looked like his head was going to explode in the first quarter he was so underdone. He's had a hand injury so nothing has really stopped him from putting the miles into his legs, so I don't know how he's come back looking so aerobically cooked ?

there's any number of reasons. he might have had any number of the Petri dish of Melbournes cold snap respiratory infections.

those things will slow you up aerobically a month after you feel better I reckon.

I think he has the runs on the board and showed the glimpses first game back to be top 3.

im thinking the Ball/hodge/judd will be Jagga/Draper/FOS, complicated by norf taking trainor

yeah, im no expert on spotting the finest junior talent but Smillie looks very pedestrian to me.
For someone who has been touted as the #1 pick,His performance reeked of attitude issues more than anything.Red flag if you ask me.

Been a FOS fan but i don't know.Maybe we go with the safe bet in Jagga or Draper who doesn't get much of attention on here.

Think you’ve completely misread and misinterpreted this.
Wasn’t even replying to Scoop.
eZyT was opining whether he should get 2-4 weeks for the bump.
I loved his intent and couldn’t give a rats.
Huh ? EZ was responding to Scoop's post. You were responding to EZ's post and I was agreeing with you (and Scoop's original assessment ie - that the intent was great) and that otherwise couldn't give a rats. Same for me.

Capiche ?

rewatched the final 2 minutes:

in the excitement, we forgot about Day-wicks pack mark to put VC in front.

havnt watched the kid, but noticed his wheels yesterday.

The trainor free was clearly there. Travaglia bear hugged him and threw him the ground way before the ball was in picture.

but the 50m was an incompetent joke.

I thought Travaglia had done a Leo Barry, but no. He infringed and took and uncontested mark.

what a shame Trainor didn't kick to win from 50. would have been an all time finish to one of the great junior games.

but, no, *smile* umps step into the spotlight again.

Langford doing a lot of organising in the last minute. He is a composed leader.

He seems to do everything Lalor does a bit better and more consistently, at the absolute highest level, than Lalor.

Langford>Lalor

will be watching reels and Coates games (they dont usually play the tall kids against men) to try and separate Armstrong/Sims/J Whitlock.

Armstrong looks Noah Balta aerially and Whitlock is very tall and gets up the ground a bit ben king?

but im still leaning to Sims on competitiveness and agility?

Last edited:
rewatched the final 2 minutes:

havnt watched the kid, but noticed his wheels yesterday.

The trainor free was clearly there. Travaglia bear hugged him and threw him the ground way before the ball was in picture.

but the 50m was an incompetent joke.

I thought Travaglia had done a Leo Barry, but no. He infringed and took and uncontested mark.
My sources in the bush reckon Day-Wicks is a good player and somewhat underrated. Like Berry, he can go through the midfield if required. Numbers with Bendigo aren't exactly eye popping though, have to say.

My sources in the bush reckon Day-Wicks is a good player and somewhat underrated. Like Berry, he can go through the midfield if required. Numbers with Bendigo aren't exactly eye popping though, have to say.

hes definitely got wheels, a good zig and zag,

and a feel for a big moment.

I get Stevie J vibes off Joe Berry, who has now kicked 25 goals in his last 8 games (16/4 Coates and 9/4 champs)

if we can get 3 top 10 picks,

my realistic preference would be Jagga - Berry - Langford

then grab the best available of Sims-Armstrong-Whitlock at pick 1 Day 2.

Reactions: 2 users
I love this, and loved yesterday's game, its exciting. So many exciting prospects. This is the reverse of shuffling the deckchairs on the Titanic, what is a luxury boat that never sank? the Queen Mary? Its like shuffling the deckchairs on the Queen Mary in the area between the pool and the bar as you're cruising the Caribbean.

yeah, there's no room for overrated outside skinny flankers who can't kick in anyones top 30 this year

Adrian Dodoro's really got his work cut out this year. Morares maybe?

• Haha
It was a chaotic finish to a great game. But what actually happened there? Was it a mark or did they call play on? Regardless it looked to me the ball was clearly over the behind line when he first touched it.