2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

True, how much can you fix in one draft? I like Sims. I like the Davis boy from Western Australia as well for a later on pick.

It's bloody hard to guess what we do until we have our draft hand sorted. Feels like we end with three firsts. Ours, Baker trade and father son (Brisbane or Carlton pick). Three in the first round plus 2 seconds would be an ideal scenario.

We probably won't fix everything this draft,l guess thats why trade week and FA are valuable options as well.
I can see why you like Sims strong mark ,but to me needs to work on a lot of other stuff,,second efforts/tackle/pressure etc ,l have Faull and Shanahan a head of him .
I would still like us to get a kp forward this year,andthat gives them 2 years of development when we go for JUH,or Cadman .

Yes, but i reckon its a mids draft

So we harvest mids (+tom sims)

We'll have a good draft hand in 2025 and probably 2026 too

I havnt looked that far ahead,

But i reckon if we reap mids this year in the first two rounds (+ sims)

And then take the best CHF at pick 1-3 in 2025.

We could also take trainer if hes there at our second pick, and reprogram gibbo as CHF.

Having young balta and gibbo on our list i reckon allows us to harvest mids this year.
It's probably a mids draft for very early selections,but after about 5 it is very open .
History says, the most taken player's year after year are mid types,in early selections ,so to say we will take a kp next year if we finish low on the ladder ,is most likely not going to happen,l only have 1 at the moment in my top 20 for next year Archie Ludowyke.

Anticipating a good price for Bakes,

toce would have to come down with a bad case of dodoros

For us not to bring two top flight mids this year

I reckon two of FOS, Jagga, Lalor, Draper, Reid is possible

plus two of Allen, langford, berry,

Plus champion and sims.

Here and now is the time and place to let our imaginations soar
We aren't going to get pick 2 or 3 for Baker,thats even including adding Graham to the mix,WC will want a later first rounder as well,and we probably get a extra second round ,but thats all fantasy at the moment .
And if bakes chooses the dockers ,it will be a mid first rounder ,and thats were the kp forwards might start being taken ,but that might change as the year goes .
Bakes might even stay .

Reactions: 3 users
It's a shame Oakleigh won't make the finals. Hopefully this Sunday v Metro and the remaining Coates games are enough for Vontae to run into form and show there is a clear number one.
They can still make the finals ,coates league has a knock out system probably because of school football

Reactions: 1 users
I can't see how Bakes going to WCE helps us at all. If he was mindful of what compensation we receive he would be more willing to move to Freo as that would be better value, unless of course WCE trade out its first which is near impossible.

It's a shame Oakleigh won't make the finals. Hopefully this Sunday v Metro and the remaining Coates games are enough for Vontae to run into form and show there is a clear number one.
Just our luck that it’s probably now a competition for the spoon between Richmond and West Coast in the very year that our Head of Recruiting moved to WC and probably knows exactly who we’re actually interested in and our general strategy.
Would help them with the mind games played pre draft.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Just our luck that it’s probably now a competition for the spoon between Richmond and West Coast in the very year that our Head of Recruiting moved to WC and probably knows exactly who we’re actually interested in and our general strategy.
Yeah for sure,but l bet they didn't think the Tiges would be on the bottom ,l certainly didn't .

We have a new recruiting Mgr as well and Clarke won't know his rankings and likes.

Reactions: 5 users
We have a new recruiting Mgr as well and Clarke won't know his rankings and likes.
The work they do watching and rating juniors is done over years not just the last 3 months. Toce will have his preferences but Clarke would definitely have access to our I.P as he’s the one who put it together.
Not the b all but surely it’s an advantage for them competing with us for the lower picks draftees?

Reactions: 1 user
no, but where there's pick 11 for Jarred Polek,

there's hope.

I really hope bakes stays
Jeebus, forgot about that trade. Yikes.

And there's also the Lachie Weller swap for pick 2 - I know he was a GC native (or thereabouts) but that's just a ridiculous trade.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
If Bakes does indeed go to WC, don't forget that Clarke being their new list boss will go a long way to getting a more than fair price - he's learnt his trade at the RFC school of negotiation.

I can't see him going full Dodoro just yet.

He only knows who we used to be interested in.

True, but that also goes both ways. We'd know who Clarke fancies as well.

Reactions: 2 users
True, but that also goes both ways. We'd know who Clarke fancies as well.

sounds like a poker game in a Clint Eastwood western.

<rollicking piano stops>

<people quickly leave out front entrance>

<bar keep removes bottle from shelf>

• Haha
  • Love
I can't see how Bakes going to WCE helps us at all. If he was mindful of what compensation we receive he would be more willing to move to Freo as that would be better value, unless of course WCE trade out its first which is near impossible.

I can. Lets say WC give us their 2nd this year and next. We use our 2nd next year and theirs next year and trade them to the Suns. The point value of say Pick 21 and Pick 23 is 1,693. Pick 7 is worth 1644. Sure, we'd have to add something on for the Suns (we have plenty of picks to do that with, but the pick value of the 2 picks they trade us will be well ahead of the Freo offer, so enables us to trade those picks up to something better and get an overall better value for Bakes.

If we hypothesize. WC give both their next 2 2nds to us, thats Pick 23 this year (which we don't trade, at least to the Suns in this transaction), and their 2nd for next year (no PP's next year hopefully, so should be about the same value). We know picks will slide, but they will slide due to bid matching, its likely that Lombard will either be the 1st bid on or the 2nd so they won't slide much regardless.

We lose our 2nd in 2025 but we've gained a pick in the same area of the draft (could be a few picks later), but if we get Pick 7 or 8 out of it, which do you prefer.

Option 1 - Pick 1, Pick 7, Pick 21, Pick 23 (no 2nd in 2025)
Or - Pick 1, Pick 15, Pick 21, (2nd in 2025), Pick 41

I'd be taking Option 1 every day of the week. (I've just thrown in Pick 41 there to the Suns relating to the premium we'd be paying for Pick 7). Its basically the same hand, but you are giving up Pick 41 to move your 1st rounder into the top 10.

Thats a better deal (albeit with an extra trade involved) than what Freo could provide us with.

Reactions: 4 users
I can. Lets say WC give us their 2nd this year and next. We use our 2nd next year and theirs next year and trade them to the Suns. The point value of say Pick 21 and Pick 23 is 1,693. Pick 7 is worth 1644. Sure, we'd have to add something on for the Suns (we have plenty of picks to do that with, but the pick value of the 2 picks they trade us will be well ahead of the Freo offer, so enables us to trade those picks up to something better and get an overall better value for Bakes.

If we hypothesize. WC give both their next 2 2nds to us, thats Pick 23 this year (which we don't trade, at least to the Suns in this transaction), and their 2nd for next year (no PP's next year hopefully, so should be about the same value). We know picks will slide, but they will slide due to bid matching, its likely that Lombard will either be the 1st bid on or the 2nd so they won't slide much regardless.

We lose our 2nd in 2025 but we've gained a pick in the same area of the draft (could be a few picks later), but if we get Pick 7 or 8 out of it, which do you prefer.

I'd be taking Option 1 every day of the week. (I've just thrown in Pick 41 there to the Suns relating to the premium we'd be paying for Pick 7). Its basically the same hand, but you are giving up Pick 41 to move your 1st rounder into the top 10.

Thats a better deal (albeit with an extra trade involved) than what Freo could provide us with.
Are WCE's picks necessary to deal with GC?

I thought we have a bevy of picks already for that very reason?

Won't GC be looking at future firsts?

Love the hypothetical too and agree it's better value, but it's only hypothetical though...

suns are going to need to cough up top 5 pick for Lombard I reckon. 2000 pointsish.

their current 7 for that 21 and 23 in your option 1

would give us 1, 7 and 8

that would put us in the running for a haul like FOS, Jagga Smith and Sam Lalor :oops:

we would also have the option of splitting pick 1 if we knew the recipient was after Smilie or Trainor

(just read Trainor is Doug wades grandson and hell bent on going to Norf!!!)

• Love