2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

“Nothing special”. It’s the McCains draft!
It's good in many other respects, just not in that powerful burst of speed element I reckon. Draper the best of them.

Lalor might end up being ok. But I worry about his overall endurance and aerobic capacity. But he could probably build a yard or two on top of what he's already got over the first 5-10m. Who knows.

Of the later mids being picked, Bo Allan is pretty good.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm talking about break away leg speed. He's just average in that respect. Agile yes. Quick hands yes. Hand to foot quick yes. But 5-10m leg speed...a la Adam Treloar or Shane Edwards ? Just ok. Nothing special.

We need genuine leg speed that creates separation in this side. Badly.

I personally dont reckon it matters the mode by which a player finds time and space.

yes, Michael Mitchell pure leg speed would be great (Malachi Champion has that incidentally),

but I reckon thats more important outside than in.

but yeah, we should want it all

the blokes that id put in the 'footy quick' category are Allan, jagga, Travalglia, Champion

of the top prospects, Hotton tested quick (2.8s 20m). I havnt seen him play yet. Hotton and Sims tested as agile.

Leo Lombard is bloody quick and agile, but who cares?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Taranto making a plea to ALL Tigers to stay and build something together. Good leadership.
Going to be an interesting off season.

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 8 users
I personally dont reckon it matters the mode by which a player finds time and space.

yes, Michael Mitchell pure leg speed would be great (Malachi Champion has that incidentally),

but I reckon thats more important outside than in.

but yeah, we should want it all
Well even on the outside, where's it coming from in this draft where the mids are concerned ?

Apart from Draper, not sure where you're getting the "speed" part with any of FOS, Jagga, Lalor, Sims or Reid.

Whilst not slow, personally, they're not what I call speedy either. In fact, Shifter Sheahan who is the greatest pumper of kids and never says a bad word about any of them, said that in Reid's case his speed was just moderate and then likened him to Steele Sidebottom which is a good reference I reckon.

Plenty of talent amongst them, and I like them all and wouldn't be unhappy about getting any of them, but apart from Draper, the genuine speed factor is actually lacking amongst them. As somebody else pointed out the other day, its a bit of a lopers draft.
Thats why I have Draper as No. 1.

• Wow
all the more reason to hang on to $hai and Danny?
Perhaps. I'm not really on board with the whole "let's trade our best players" thing.

You know it's got whiskers on it when someone like that loser Jon Ralph keeps saying we need to upend the club and offload all of Baker, Rioli, Bolton, Broad and Dusty all in one hit.

Reactions: 6 users
Perhaps. I'm not really on board with the whole "let's trade our best players" thing.

You know it's got whiskers on it when someone like that loser Jon Ralph keeps saying we need to upend the club and offload all of Baker, Rioli, Bolton, Broad and Dusty all in one hit.
I agree. However, when you can find a situation like Gold Coast are in, the fact we can leverage Dimma and Daniel Rioli being 28, if you can get two picks inside 20, you do it every day of the week. If you can leverage a situation to get overs on a 28 year old, in a role you have depth in, you do it everyday of the week.

I agree. However, when you can find a situation like Gold Coast are in, the fact we can leverage Dimma and Daniel Rioli being 28, if you can get two picks inside 20, you do it every day of the week. If you can leverage a situation to get overs on a 28 year old, in a role you have depth in, you do it everyday of the week.
But it won't end up being 2 inside 20 at all. That pick 20, will slide out at a minimum to 25, maybe even later and then it doesn't look quite as attractive.

I don't really want to trade Dan, but if we could include BOTH of their early 1st rounders into the equation (even if we have to give something later or in future years back - obviously not a 1st) then it has more merit.

Yeah for sure. But in totality, or collectively, if you can show me a club that offloaded a plethora of its better players and/or slumped to the bottom for a few years in order to get great access to the draft and was a quick success as a result, you'd be struggling.

Reactions: 3 users
The risk if we let daniel go, is the MJ will follow him out the door

Reactions: 1 user
You're probably right, but I don't do it every day of the week. Particularly if Bakes goes. If one is inside 10 you've got my attention, but I'd still think long and hard because it would leave a culture and talent chasm.

Yeah for sure. But in totality, or collectively, if you can show me a club that offloaded a plethora of its better players and/or slumped to the bottom for a few years in order to get great access to the draft and was a quick success as a result, you'd be struggling.
Agree with that in totality, emptying everyone out hasn't worked.

Besdies our era, I look at Collingwood (built off father sons and some sound drafitng) at Sydney (built from Academy and some sound drafting) and I don't actually see a singular model that works just on drafting. You get into the mix of the 8 via sound drafting then it's free agency and trade. We are very much in that phase of needing to pull the core via the draft before we do anything else. If we slingshot next year (and I don't think we will) we still need to go to the draft.

Reactions: 4 users
You're probably right, but I don't do it every day of the week. Particularly if Bakes goes. If one is inside 10 you've got my attention, but I'd still think long and hard because it would leave a culture and talent chasm.
Bakes and Rioli going isn't the end. The shadow of Tassie looms large, you need to push now. Not everyone but if Baker and Rioli go and we get four picks inside 30 out of the two deals, I do it. We can't wait two years and look around and not have had 8-10 picks in the first forty.

Look at our last successful rebuild

2006: Jack 13, Shed 26
2007: Cotch 2, Rance 18
2008: BUST CITY, Bustathon, Peter Bobusto, 42 inch Bust, flip on 20 bust, Buster Rhymes, marble Bust of Julius Ceaser (but we did get Cuz, who had an impact on culture, and Ty eventually netted Shai)
2009: Dusty 3, DTLD 35, grimes PSD

What a beautiful read. A few lessons, putting top 3 picks aside, even if it is very important that they are nailed:

We nailed the late first and second round picks and even PSD. Massive. Beat the house. This was the difference.
We had a big bust year along the way. Percentage-wise, it will probably happen, but doesn't mean the main goal is compromised.

Last edited:
Having only really seen the rd14 talent league video of smillie, where he looked a bit slow/coasty, watched some others and especially metro vs SA he looked far more intense at the contest. More converted

From unreliable height info, he is 1cm shorter than cripps, 2cm taller than bont and 3cm taller than fyfe. And looks to be a bigger build than at least the latter 2. Is there some manchild effect, probably, but he's still going to be bigger than afl mids anyway so he can just manchild (man-man?) over them too after some afl preseason strength (likely to add a cm or two still too, what happens if he gets too big to be a mid? Seems to be able to play forward too).

I still like FOS, but wish they could go head to head with both fully fit and in form (assuming FOS is still rusty for metro v country). Gee you'd love to nail the pick and get the best in the draft, whoever it is. Maybe easier to beat north and let them decide/muck it up and we take the other? Definitely not wanting to let west coast slip below.

Having only really seen the rd14 talent league video of smillie, where he looked a bit slow/coasty, watched some others and especially metro vs SA he looked far more intense at the contest. More converted

From unreliable height info, he is 1cm shorter than cripps, 2cm taller than bont and 3cm taller than fyfe. And looks to be a bigger build than at least the latter 2. Is there some manchild effect, probably, but he's still going to be bigger than afl mids anyway so he can just manchild (man-man?) over them too after some afl preseason strength (likely to add a cm or two still too, what happens if he gets too big to be a mid? Seems to be able to play forward too).

I still like FOS, but wish they could go head to head with both fully fit and in form (assuming FOS is still rusty for metro v country). Gee you'd love to nail the pick and get the best in the draft, whoever it is. Maybe easier to beat north and let them decide/muck it up and we take the other? Definitely not wanting to let west coast slip below.

let norf *smile* it up :rotfl1

there is an interesting side plot with Norf.

they have shitloads of mids and are short on KPD's; Luke Trainor is the best KPD in the pool and a top 5 talent and is Doug wades grandson.

I think its really likely Norf take Trainor wherever they sit in picks 1-5

Reactions: 2 users
Jagga does everything quick

but yeah 20m and agility times are gonna be fascinating.

I hope the Vic Metro Managers dont pull all their stable from the combine like they've been doing.

Mick Jagga has tested sub 3 seconds for 20m Ezy.

Combine that with his elite agility and he can move.

Reckon his size (not height, but ability to put on weight) is a bigger (only?) drawback than any perceived lack of pace.