2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Im beginning to think Jagga is gonna be Nick Daicos good :oops:

I can't wait to see him play VFL.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Im beginning to think Jagga is gonna be Nick Daicos good :oops:

I can't wait to see him play VFL.
Jagga does remind me of a Daicos. I think he is more Josh than Nick tho.

I do hope we get a good mix of midfielders, if we go big mid early (Smillie) we go small and nippy (Reid type) or small (FOS) and big (Allan). We need some variation of mids. We need mids so bad.

Reactions: 4 users

I do hope we get a good mix of midfielders, if we go big mid early (Smillie) we go small and nippy (Reid type) or small (FOS) and big (Allan). We need some variation of mids. We need mids so bad.
We also need forwards big time ,no point getting the ball into the forward line and watching it rebound .

Reactions: 1 users
We also need forwards big time ,no point getting the ball into the forward line and watching it rebound .
True, how much can you fix in one draft? I like Sims. I like the Davis boy from Western Australia as well for a later on pick.

It's bloody hard to guess what we do until we have our draft hand sorted. Feels like we end with three firsts. Ours, Baker trade and father son (Brisbane or Carlton pick). Three in the first round plus 2 seconds would be an ideal scenario.

Reactions: 5 users

I love love the expectation we will get 2 top mids .

Yes, but i reckon its a mids draft

So we harvest mids (+tom sims)

We'll have a good draft hand in 2025 and probably 2026 too

I havnt looked that far ahead,

But i reckon if we reap mids this year in the first two rounds (+ sims)

And then take the best CHF at pick 1-3 in 2025.

We could also take trainer if hes there at our second pick, and reprogram gibbo as CHF.

Having young balta and gibbo on our list i reckon allows us to harvest mids this year.

Reactions: 3 users
I love love the expectation we will get 2 top mids .

Anticipating a good price for Bakes,

toce would have to come down with a bad case of dodoros

For us not to bring two top flight mids this year

I reckon two of FOS, Jagga, Lalor, Draper, Reid is possible

plus two of Allen, langford, berry,

Plus champion and sims.

Here and now is the time and place to let our imaginations soar

Reactions: 6 users

We could also take trainer if hes there at our second pick, and reprogram gibbo as CHF.

Having young balta and gibbo on our list i reckon allows us to harvest mids this year.

Depends what picks we have and who's available.

If there are forwards (tall or small) available at our pick that we rank higher, we should 100% take them. And there are a number showing talent.

It's a big weakness across our list.

Depends what picks we have and who's available.

If there are forwards (tall or small) available at our pick that we rank higher, we should 100% take them. And there are a number showing talent.

It's a big weakness across our list.

See above.

We can have it all

Imagine Jagga (1/3), Lalor (4/6), Allen (10/15) Sims (3/20) and Champion (10/30)

Choose your own adventure, sub inyour own prefernces above.

All my dreams are predicated on norf or wc falling for smilie

Reading this thread one thing is certain: whoever we take with our first pick many will be wrapped and just as many will be upset that we botched it up. And it will take a few years before we know either way.

So to whoever it is we wish you nothing but success and the admiration of the Richmond faithful. Oh and I hope you have a thick skin because you’re going to need it!

Plus Gray, Lefau and an improving Koschitzke, up forward and Blight, Miller and conceivably Mutaz down back, means that the main pressure going into the draft, is in respect of midfielders.

By the way if we retain position 1 in the PSD would that allow us to put back the selection of say Mutaz to that point, without running the risk of having him available for selection by all comers in the main draft?

Reading this thread one thing is certain: whoever we take with our first pick many will be wrapped and just as many will be upset that we botched it up. And it will take a few years before we know either way.

So to whoever it is we wish you nothing but success and the admiration of the Richmond faithful. Oh and I hope you have a thick skin because you’re going to need it!
I think 'upset and botched' is OTT. I'll be happy with any 2 that are in the mix for top 10 or 12. I'll just be more happy with some than others.

I think 'upset and botched' is OTT. I'll be happy with any 2 that are in the mix for top 10 or 12. I'll just be more happy with some than others.

yes.

wed have to take trevaglia or Isaac kako

with our first pick for us to feel botched I reckon.

and even then, our botched feeling could be short lived.

in Toce we trust.

hes on a bit of a passionfruit icing to everything

with his draft hand and the depth of quality of the stuff we need available

I reckon the highest pressure pick will be the first one we get for Bakes.

the kid needs to be at least as good as Bakes, for twice as long

Last edited:
Plus Gray, Lefau and an improving Koschitzke, up forward and Blight, Miller and conceivably Mutaz down back, means that the main pressure going into the draft, is in respect of midfielders.

By the way if we retain position 1 in the PSD would that allow us to put back the selection of say Mutaz to that point, without running the risk of having him available for selection by all comers in the main draft?

forgot about Lefau.

he could definitely play a Jeff Hogg type role through some rough times

I reckon Lynchy has at least 2 good years left too.

but, yes we want a CHF peaking when this gaggle of gun mids we reap this year are all 25

I think if we are aiming for 5 in the first 25 (which I think is doable), then I can't see us taking more than 1 tall. We also have the NGA boy Lockwood available to us, so that would be 2 talls in. Anymore, and I think we are creating a list imbalance with talls.

4 in 25 for mids, maybe 1 of them as a small forward is the optimal scenario for us.

FOS, Smillie, Smith, Draper, Lalor, Langford, Allan, Berry, Moraes, Hotton, Reid, Gross, Lindsay are all good options for us.
Tall out of Faull, Whitlock, Whitlock, O'Farrell, Sims, Shanahan is probably also do-able.

I'm looking forward to this years draft, reckon we'll see a sizeable shift in our list profile. Hopefully these boys come on in leaps and bounds next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Ezy (or anyone) as an aside, is 2026 going to be the 1st year of the compromised drafts for the Tassie devils or isn't it clear yet?

Unfortunately there appears no clear number one this year but consensus amongst the so called experts still have Smelly or FOS a level above the rest so looks like we’ll get a very good player regardless whether we finish 17th or 18th.
I’m still favouring Lalor from the Rat but not sure we should be controversial with our first pick.
I’d personally love the FOS and Lalor double or Smelly and Reid double

Last edited:
It's a shame Oakleigh won't make the finals. Hopefully this Sunday v Metro and the remaining Coates games are enough for Vontae to run into form and show there is a clear number one.

Reactions: 2 users
Would love this combination ( of those available)
1 FOS....just perfect
2 Lalor...Dusty replacemnt
3 Simm/ Whittlock...new forward setup
4 Berry/Reid...super talented
5 Urqhart/Grosse..tough as nails

But would have any of Smith... Bo...Draper... Trainor. Trainor is a gun but not our immediate need.
Dreaming I guess..but geez we need all the top end talent possible...now!
Would love Cadman the following year.
This would give us a short rebound.

Reactions: 3 users