2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

There are exceptions.
  • Tyler Sonsie
    2021 VFL, Round 4. Box Hill Hawks 8.5 (53) def. ...
  • Stats: 24 disposals | 15 kicks | 9 handballs | 1 mark | 5 tackles | 5 inside 50s | 4 rebound 50s | 2 goals. ~

Of course you can have a day out, or a shocker anytime.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
that is everything he did in a Coates league game.

a top 5 player should dominate late season Coates level,

a top 2 pick should be quite flawless late in the season at Coates level IMO.

and the top 5 should be getting 20+ and doing damage against men at State level around this time.

I dont see that.
I don’t watch as much junior footy as many on here and haven’t seen much footage of Smillie, but to me, he looks like a player who has had it too easy playing against Junior’s for too long. Looks like he’s going at a canter.
Could make him a lazy, entitled footballer, or could mean he’s got levels he can go to if pressed.

I didn’t see him doing much that looked like 100% effort. You’d like to see him challenged and find out if he can lift his intensity, show some real power and drive. Cause he’ll need to to be a star in the AFL.

Reactions: 5 users
s
I don’t watch as much junior footy as many on here and haven’t seen much footage of Smillie, but to me, he looks like a player who has had it too easy playing against Junior’s for too long. Looks like he’s going at a canter.
Could make him a lazy, entitled footballer, or could mean he’s got levels he can go to if pressed.

I didn’t see him doing much that looked like 100% effort. You’d like to see him challenged and find out if he can lift his intensity, show some real power and drive. Cause he’ll need to to be a star in the AFL.
If we get him I’m hoping it’s composure wammo 🤞

Obviously if he gos to Norf I hope he turns out to be a lazy soft show pony 😉

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Don't think I've ever seen a year with so many top end picks polarising so many people - Big Willie Smillie and Mick Jagga most notably.

Lot of divided opinion. In fact 2HB Twomey reckoned the other day that even the clubs differ significantly amongst each other as to who they think should be number 1. He reckoned depending on the club, and excluding Lombardo and Ashcroft, they had either FOS, Smillie, Jagga, Draper and now, even Trainor ranked 1st.

There is no reasonable consensus amongst them at the moment he reckoned.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
So did the Sonz, but not such a good indicator.
I maintain its a good indicator. A form franker. But it doesn't happen much so is mostly moot. There is no be all and end all indicator, and I take the Sonz case on board. The vast majority of elite juniors take a while to impact VFL, generally start out single figure possies and build.

Going back to the olden days, and I could be wrong, but I think Knights won the u19s B&F and the reserves B&F in the same year? Before breaking into seniors. That could be legend, I think Benny actually told me that.

Reactions: 1 users
I maintain its a good indicator. A form franker. But it doesn't happen much so is mostly moot. There is no be all and end all indicator, and I take the Sonz case on board. The vast majority of elite juniors take a while to impact VFL, generally start out single figure possies and build.

Going back to the olden days, and I could be wrong, but I think Knights won the u19s B&F and the reserves B&F in the same year? Before breaking into seniors. That could be legend, I think Benny actually told me that.

Yeah i think not impacting against men early doesnt mean you wont succeed,

But inpacting against men early means you most likely will

Reactions: 1 users
Don't think I've ever seen a year with so many top end picks polarising so many people - Big Willie Smillie and Mick Jagga most notably.

Lot of divided opinion. In fact 2HB Twomey reckoned the other day that even the clubs differ significantly amongst each other as to who they think should be number 1. He reckoned depending on the club, and excluding Lombardo and Ashcroft, they had either FOS, Smillie, Jagga, Draper and now, even Trainor ranked 1st.

There is no reasonable consensus amongst them at the moment he reckoned.

Look on the bright side Dudford.

The uncertainty combined with our draft hand combined with our poor team gives us all something interesting to get ourselves into, and to chew the fat over, for the next few months.

Without that - All you'd have is Leysy and @spook tipping winners on the Betting and Thoroughbred Racing threads.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Look on the bright side Dudford.

The uncertainty combined with our draft hand combined with our poor team gives us all something interesting to get ourselves into, and to chew the fat over, for the next few months.

Without that - All you'd have is Leysy and @spook tipping winners on the Betting and Thoroughbred Racing threads.
Liam McBean.

Hello draft thread, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again
Because the success is softly creeping
Left its seeds while I was sleeping
And the cups that were planted in my brain
Still remains
Within the sound of silence

Reactions: 9 users