2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Moves a bit like a tractor.
Prefer a bit more power like a Martin, Petracca or DeGoey.

I think the agricultural reference is a good one.

id be ok late teens, but top 5 NO.

my hunch is his game wont fully translate to AFL level.

I dont know if I can recall a player I want to see play a couple of VFL games more?*

its simplistic, but top 5 players will usually get 20+, still have time, and offer a bit of wow, in the guts, at state level , on debut

at the highest level, we hear things like 'Smilie got better as the game wore on' and "Smilie grew into the game'

unless hes diagnosed with stress fractures in his back or glandular fever,

these are big red flags.

we should be reading 'smilie wins game' 'smilie stand out' of top 5s

IMO people got in the habit of being impressed by him in his 16 and 17 year, when he was as big as he is now,

but I dont reckon he really turned it on and dominated a champs game like a top 5 should.

(Sid Draper didn't really either, but then runs out in the SANFL and played like a top 5 pick)

the steps from 18s to VFL then AFL are a hell of a lot bigger than bottom age to top age 18's

but jeez, isn't it fun to be shopping for top 5's with a fistful of draft capital?

* I reckon some of the big vic metro managers are a bit scared of WFA level for their colts and stick to the handicaps where they get in light

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
that is everything he did in a Coates league game.

a top 5 player should dominate late season Coates level,

a top 2 pick should be quite flawless late in the season at Coates level IMO.

and the top 5 should be getting 20+ and doing damage against men at State level around this time.

I dont see that.
It's quicker at Coates level,and more Physical at State League level .
It is also a bit harder for Vic Player's to be playing VFL compared to WAFL/SANFL

Reactions: 1 user
I think the agricultural reference is a good one.

id be ok late teens, but top 5 NO.

my hunch is his game wont fully translate to AFL level.

I dont know if I can recall a player I want to see play a couple of VFL games more?*

its simplistic, but top 5 players will usually get 20+, still have time, and offer a bit of wow, in the guts, at state level , on debut

at the highest level, we hear things like 'Smilie got better as the game wore on' and "Smilie grew into the game'

unless hes diagnosed with stress fractures in his back or glandular fever,

these are big red flags.

we should be reading 'smilie wins game' 'smilie stand out' of top 5s

IMO people got in the habit of being impressed by him in his 16 and 17 year, when he was as big as he is now,

but I dont reckon he really turned it on and dominated a champs game like a top 5 should.

(Sid Draper didn't really either, but then runs out in the SANFL and played like a top 5 pick)

the steps from 18s to VFL then AFL are a hell of a lot bigger than bottom age to top age 18's

but jeez, isn't it fun to be shopping for top 5's with a fistful of draft capital?

* I reckon some of the big vic metro managers are a bit scared of WFA level for their colts and stick to the handicaps where they get in light
He has played against the vfl,,for the academy .
He's a good player,but l still prefer Lalor and Fos over him

Reactions: 1 users
Reckon a few on here will be backpeddling big time on the smiling assassin

Has so many gifts, impossible for him not to make it, and a real big chance of being a superstar

Could project into a Bont like player, clean ball handler, great below his knees, and just massive reach and body size

Harsh crowd

Reactions: 6 users
He has played against the vfl,,for the academy .
He's a good player,but l still prefer Lalor and Fos over him

Yeah i dont really rate that Academy game for the reasons we discussed earlier, its not a team sport.

I want to see them play in a team with men against a team with men.

And yeah i dont think hes RCD,

I just think hes 15-25th best in the pool

Actually coming around to the thinking that the smiling assassin may be this years drafts buddy franklin, 20 years later

Let’s not overthink this, kid has everything to be a superstar, he was rucking around the ground ffs

May end up being the most versatile player in the league in 5 years

FOS looked good but, smillie size and skills set makes him clear number 1 for me

Yeah i dont really rate that Academy game for the reasons we discussed earlier, its not a team sport.

I want to see them play in a team with men against a team with men.
Academy played well considering they probably only trained for a few hours together before the first match.
It was boys against men and he played well,l think you are judging him harshly .

Reckon a few on here will be backpeddling big time on the smiling assassin

Has so many gifts, impossible for him not to make it, and a real big chance of being a superstar

Could project into a Bont like player, clean ball handler, great below his knees, and just massive reach and body size

Harsh crowd
Pick one, gotta be harsh.

Reactions: 2 users

Its a good point, agree. H. Reid played a VFL game, maybe 2, for Carlton I think, he killed it. Likewise Will Ashcroft for Lions. Both 20-plus possessions and influenced the game first up. Its a big indicator of success IMO

Academy played well considering they probably only trained for a few hours together before the first match.
It was boys against men and he played well,l think you are judging him harshly .

The thing with the Academy game though, is Smilie is the big dog.

Projected No1.

The coaches give him the best easiest gig - offensive mid, minimal defensive duty.

His teammates all give it to him when he asks for it.

Eventhe umps get starstruck.

Applies to champs too - theres the big dogs in every side.

Sure, theyre usually the big dogs cause they can play,

But,

A VFL/wafl/sanfl league game is the total opposite. Your the little smart arse getting it easy, taking their gig, and you have to brought down a peg. And thats your teammates.

If its an AFL ressies side, its another level of tough again; like the hunger games.

The kid that can thrive immediately in that atmosphere will almost certainly make an impact at AFL level

Ive seen backstage in these settings

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
that is everything he did in a Coates league game.

a top 5 player should dominate late season Coates level,

a top 2 pick should be quite flawless late in the season at Coates level IMO.

and the top 5 should be getting 20+ and doing damage against men at State level around this time.

I dont see that.
I agree but not as much, I would call that clip par for a top 5 pick, nothing more. It doesn't scream pick me at 1.

Reactions: 2 users
Smillie has the highest ceiling of all the draft pool this year IMHO

Output this year is as good as anyone as well,

Can’t see why he won’t be called out first

Has it all

Reactions: 1 users

Projected No1.

The coaches give him the best easiest gig - offensive mid, minimal defensive duty.

But,

A VFL/wafl/sanfl league game is the total opposite. Your the little smart arse getting it easy, taking their gig, and you have to brought down a peg. And thats your teammates.

If its an AFL ressies side, its another level of tough again; like the hunger games.

The kid that can thrive immediately in that atmosphere will almost certainly make an impact at AFL level

Mate you didn't think Reid should of been no 1 :LOL:

• Haha
Mate you didn't think Reid should of been no 1 :LOL:

Hahaha
I had him at 2, its true.

Quite likely i backed the wrong horse, But im not throwing away my ticket just yet

Jed Walters could win 3 coleman medals

Reid played very well at vfl level

So did leo lombard

Projected No1.

But,

There are exceptions.
  • Tyler Sonsie
    2021 VFL, Round 4. Box Hill Hawks 8.5 (53) def. ...
  • Stats: 24 disposals | 15 kicks | 9 handballs | 1 mark | 5 tackles | 5 inside 50s | 4 rebound 50s | 2 goals. ~

• Sad
Reactions: 6 users