2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

who do we think are the Essendon first rounders?

ive got Toby Travaglia and Isaac Kako pencilled as Dodoro types

who do we think are the Essendon first rounders?

ive got Toby Travaglia and Isaac Kako pencilled as Dodoro types
Kako is a Essendon NGA but I highly doubt that he gets past 40. If Essendon have a pick around 15 you might be right Ezy, they might just grab him.

I actually think they grab one of the Whitlocks. Dodo loves his talls. If they were smart they'd take Langford. He is what they need.

Reactions: 1 user
History shows pick 1 is rarely the best player from any particular draft but it’s nearly always a very good/great player.

Sure we can split picks but you significantly increase your risk of a bust and given our current situation, that’s something we cannot afford.

Pick one is as close to a sure bet as you’ll ever get drafting.
Is it like picking Doriumus? Or Vogue? Or Placid Ark??

How many picks would pick 1 be worth if we trade it for rookie picks??
Tracey was a rookie too??
Kids in the rookie draft are the best

hes been big bodied since he was 15, and his trajectory is going down IMO

im calling man child. Not saying hes no good, just not in my top 10

Harvey Langford is 190 mid and trajectory is consistently up over 3 years.

im calling Langford>Smilie

He's very clean with his disposal, nice left foot and a good decision maker plus has a bit of toe.

By my calculations, Only 8 No.1's this century havnt been stars,

And some of them may still turn out to be,

And the others were very good players.

Jack watts and jon patton the closest thing to No.1 busts?

No.2 picks pretty much the same.

Scott gumbleton, harley bennell, jon orourke and josh schache the busts this century.

Pick 1 or 2 buys stars in roughly equal measures.

But i think the value in 1 this year maybe in setting up for subsequent picks?

But statisically (dog balls test) there is no difference between 1 and 2

But the data does suggest it falls away pretty sharply at pick 3 with d martin and c judd the most notable exceptions
Shows how important it is to know what the kids like to do outside of footy hours .

Also never risk a high pick on a player who lacks “ competitiveness “

Reactions: 1 users
FWIW my current top 5, based mostly on obs, also pace, but with a bit needs and likes, and a pinch of wider ratings which you can't avoid:

Finn 'Shamrock' O'Sullivan
Leo "LL Cool J' Lombard
Sid 'haberdashery' Draper
'Bleeding Gums' Murphy Reid
Bo 'Didley' Allan

Plenty more good players who have strong claims.

• Haha
Shows how important it is to know what the kids like to do outside of footy hours .

Can’t find a link but from memory, if a player doesn’t get something like 30% of the possessions contested in u18’s they’ll struggle at AFL level.

Call it the Jimmy Toumpas rule.

Reactions: 3 users

as in; try establish if they have a vast collection of photographs of their own *smile*?

(odd that the male appendage written anatomically would be a filtered word? I wonder if vulva and vagina get through. handy to know for hypothetical interview questions for prospective AFLW players)

I wonder if scrotum is filtered. I have a vague memory of a Hawthorn player having a scrotum injury in the 70s?

FWIW my current top 5, based mostly on obs, also pace, but with a bit needs and likes, and a pinch of wider ratings which you can't avoid:

Finn 'Shamrock' O'Sullivan
Leo "LL Cool J' Lombard
Sid 'haberdashery' Draper
'Bleeding Gums' Murphy Reid
Bo 'Didley' Allan

Plenty more good players who have strong claims.

yeah we could use all those blokes with explosiveness and agility. Lombard is a doozy. Id say he'll be in the guts round 1 2025.

was 'Mick' Jagga Smith an oversight, or do you have him >5?

What do people know about Harry Armstrong?

Old mate Matthew Lloyd was talking him up and compared him to Jezza Cameron.

He's very clean with his disposal, nice left foot and a good decision maker plus has a bit of toe.

Geepers Hirsute you woolly behemoth you. What happens in the very first possession in this highlights package ? He almost gets mown down from behind due to a lack of 5-10m burst and quick hand to foot action.

And these are just highlights - for which i don't see a great deal of demonstration of having a bit of toe anyway. Most of it is in and under stuff or standing on his own to receive a kick or whatever.

He's been caught HTB several times over the Champs. He 'aint Jacob Hopper for sure. But he 'aint all that footy quick by leg just the same. 110% guaranteed.

Good player though. VC's best for sure the last few weeks.

What do people know about Harry Armstrong?

Old mate Matthew Lloyd was talking him up and compared him to Jezza Cameron.
Yeah. Taj Hotton I think it was (might have been someone else from Sandy) reckoned he was a potential surprise packet.

Geepers Hirsute you woolly behemoth you. What happens in the very first possession in this highlights package ? He almost gets mown down from behind due to a lack of 5-10m burst and quick hand to foot action.

And these are just highlights - for which i don't see a great deal of demonstration of having a bit of toe anyway. Most of it is in and under stuff or standing on his own to receive a kick or whatever.

He's been caught HTB several times over the Champs. He 'aint Jacob Hopper for sure. But he 'aint all that footy quick by leg just the same. 110% guaranteed.

Yeah someone, Tora Tora I think, posted there was a lot of loping in the Allies VERSE VC game yesterday. I agree with that. I was looking for pace, but saw a lot of loping.

those aren't highlights FWIW, they're compilations of every involvement in a given game.

Reactions: 2 users

Jordan Lewis type