2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Just means clubs would have two sets of books. It’s not like that’s never happened before
The proposal is for info to be anonymous, unattributed. It could happen. He's shown himself to be an effective footy journo/ footy political operator has Cal. To me its just interesting, Its not something I'd get upset about if it didn't happen.

The proposal is for info to be anonymous, unattributed. It could happen. He's shown himself to be an effective footy journo/ footy political operator has Cal. To me its just interesting, Its not something I'd get upset about if it didn't happen.
How are they going to submit their lists truly anonymously? Some kind of ballot box scenario?

Is that like those anonymous surveys where the details of who responded and what their responses were are provided to the organisation that commissioned them? I’ve seen it in action a couple of times and would never take part in any survey regardless of how anonymous they claim to be.

How are they going to submit their lists truly anonymously? Some kind of ballot box scenario?
Anonymously, or unattributed data is pretty common. I've worked with it and sourced it myself with data that is connected to sensitive, commercial-in-confidence matters. Its just a matter of professional integrity, and signing non-disclosure agreements, and all parties have to be clear and in agreement about how its used.

Thinking it through, you wouldn't be able to look at Anonomous Club X's top 40. That could be identified. You could only look at consensus at a certain pick, eg 20% of clubs picked Smith at 3, 80% picked Jones. That can't be linked to any club.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Is that like those anonymous surveys where the details of who responded and what their responses were are provided to the organisation that commissioned them? I’ve seen it in action a couple of times and would never take part in any survey regardless of how anonymous they claim to be.
Fair enough. A lot of organisations and people do though. Especially if there is a benefit to the organisation or the industry. That is the case here. It would temper and reduce the endless hindsight expert bagathons.

Fair enough. A lot of organisations and people do though. Especially if there is a benefit to the organisation or the industry. That is the case here. It would temper and reduce the endless hindsight expert bagathons.
No way a club gives up how it ranked players, imagine if Brad Scott had access to that info in his AFL role and could take IP to Essendon in his current role.

Love to know the slider percentage, you know the one the club says “ can’t believe he was still available “ when they really mean what are we missing here.

RCD and the Sonz are sliders who many were wrapt we got who seem like clubs let them go for right reasons . Then we get the Baker sliders , *smile* it’s a tough gig . The off field stuff is the hardest part I say , some champs nearly don’t get picked up because they like the night life or have flog mates , then you get the kid who does it all right , just can’t play .

Best of luck Toce , hope u become a Tiger legend

Reactions: 3 users
That's only the first part of the equation DDD. Next point of interest is what happens after he's disposed of the footy. Is it a turnover? Does he release a team mate into space and enable him time to hurt the opposition? Does he simply put a team mate under the pump with his dinky little possessions? Does he instigate scoring chains off his initial possessions?
Where's the junior watchers, what's the verdict on what happens when Jagga does his thing? Butcher or Inventor?
By the sounds of it he's a smart footballer.He'll find a way.

No way a club gives up how it ranked players, imagine if Brad Scott had access to that info in his AFL role and could take IP to Essendon in his current role.
It wouldn't be available until after the draft is done and dusted. I can understand the suspicion, this is the AFL we're talking about, but it could be done.

Just read his proposal in full, had only skimmed it. So clubs would anonymously submit top 30. Players would be assigned points, and that would generate a single 'consensus draft'. So no exposure or references to any individual anonymous clubs ratings at all.

Last edited:
Don't think clubs will do it. Apart from making good discussion for the general public, There's just not the tangible benefit.

Most (of not all) clubs will do their own internal rankings every year, then review and get learnings anyway.

Reactions: 3 users
Wouldn't clubs have to do a Draft ratings ,IF clubs where forced to use there 1st rounder on Academy/nga/Fs ,without trading out for later draft picks .

Don't think clubs will do it. Apart from making good discussion for the general public, There's just not the tangible benefit.

Most (of not all) clubs will do their own internal rankings every year, then review and get learnings anyway.
You can argue that footy is just a game and that none of this matters, and thats fair enough. But in my experience, any efforts to increase transparency can only be a good thing. Thats a tangible benefit, and as I've said, would reduce a lot of half-cocked hindsight bagging.

Thinking about it more, there could be instances where clubs could be painted in a bad light. It would be rare, especially these days, but it could happen. For example if say Geelong draft player X at 4, and the consensus ratings have him at 25, its obvious Geelong were the only side that rated him. If Player X turns out to be a gun, they are inspired geniuses, if he's a dud....

As for the clubs going along with it, if this grows legs, even if clubs aren't keen, the AFL could just add it to the list of clubs reporting requirements.

If clubs are forced to supply a list that they are not bound in any way to follow, how accurate do you think that list would be?

I reckon they’d spend 9 10ths of sweet f all putting it together. And for what; so some crappie juorno can make himself look good, and people on these types of forums can feel better about their own phantom draft’s, or argue about who picked who way back when.

I think the clubs would treat it with the contempt it deserves to be honest.

Reactions: 7 users
If clubs are forced to supply a list that they are not bound in any way to follow, how accurate do you think that list would be?

I reckon they’d spend 9 10ths of sweet f all putting it together. And for what; so some crappie juorno can make himself look good, and people on these types of forums can feel better about their own phantom draft’s, or argue about who picked who way back when.

I think the clubs would treat it with the contempt it deserves to be honest.
Its not something I feel that strongly about, and I take the crappy journo comment on board. But as someone who has a fair bit of experience both in getting and using high-stakes, commercial-in-confidence data, that is either anonymously submitted and/or submitted on the basis that the source won't and can't be identified, its not that big a deal AFAIC.

And besides, people on this forum feeling important is of huge international importance!

Wouldn't clubs have to do a Draft ratings ,IF clubs where forced to use there 1st rounder on Academy/nga/Fs ,without trading out for later draft picks .

Depends on where the Academy/nga/FS falls.

If say a club has a first round pick that they use to pick another draftee then a bid comes in for their Academy/nga/FS a few picks later how do they get that player?? They have already used their 1st round pick and using their second round would not be fair as too cheap. So they would need to chase a pick trade of some sort.

So thinking there would need to be some sort of point system so we can get to a reasonably fair trade.

• Haha
I believe that the dude that is Carlton's legal adviser at the Tribunal and is a King's Counsel, and has had amazing success for Carlton at the Tribunal, is none other than Harry O'Farrell's father. They own a huge house in......Richmond.

We could kill a few birds with one stone here. :ROFLMAO:

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users