2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

For the more knowledgable people on here, are there any decent forward prospects in the draft? Not even necessarily key forwards, just genuine skilful good forwards? Theres a need for players in many positions, and sounds pretty midfielder heavy, but I reckon we just need some genuine natural forwards

Is Smillie tanking? Been told to put his cue in the rack?
Last couple of games in the championships have been extremely underwhelming for such a fancied talent.

For the more knowledgable people on here, are there any decent forward prospects in the draft? Not even necessarily key forwards, just genuine skilful good forwards? Theres a need for players in many positions, and sounds pretty midfielder heavy, but I reckon we just need some genuine natural forwards
There’s quite a few just no Tom Lynch, Charlie Curnow etc..quite a few 191-194cm guys.
The other thing I’ve settled on is Coates League and the National Champs are not designed for key forwards. The density rule makes it so crowded and doesn’t allow the good players with decent forward craft to shine through. All it does it allow and encourage the mids to chip it amongst themselves endlessly.

Reactions: 1 user
Not that we didn’t already know, but today’s game re enforced again the desperate need for better footskills and speed. We utterly butchered it again today, and got carved up by some of their quicker players - not just Cripps.

Ffs. Fantasia ? Really ? Geez.

Reactions: 8 users
Considering the growing midfield depth of this draft, we need multiple picks in the top 20. I'm talking potentially 2 picks in the top 8 pick and another couple in the teens.

We critically need speed and skill.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Murphy Reid kicks it very well and makes good decisions. We need it.

But you wouldn’t take Reid and Smith in the same draft. FOS and Reid, big yes.

Reactions: 3 users
I have just watched my first FOS highlights. If we have pick 1 and pass on this they should all be shot. Sensational mover, strong hands, laser boot, tough.

Reactions: 2 users
And if it needs to be one of Bakes, Shai or Rioli to get it done so be it.

We need premium mids, not triers with limited skill.
Agree. We need two top 6 picks. Got to be sensible. It will need us to trade one of the three you mention. But we can’t afford to lose two.

Bolton had a shocker to day but he is our best.
Must keep, (and as I have been saying for some time, should be a starting mid).
D Rioli also a must keep.

Baker, Broad and Graham to W.C for pick 3, which would allow WC to additionally receive compensation for their own free agent trade, maybe Elliot Yeo.
Think Mathew Lloyd trade.

We currently have the lowest % in the competition. We are the weakest team.
Our kicking today was appalling. We are in a rebuild and to get ourselves in a position to draft 2 of the best mids is going to hurt.

Bolton had a shocker to day but he is our best.
Must keep, (and as I have been saying for some time, should be a starting mid).
Certainly not the first crap game he's had this season, at his pay rate they should be extremely rare.
Plays petulant and totally individual figjam footy, which makes him a highlights reel when he's on but an unreliable team breaker when he's not. One of the first I'd have on the table.

Reactions: 5 users
Yeah, precisely, and what’s the query on Jagga then ?
.lSo Jagga gets it on average 30+ times a match.I hear his mtrs gained isn't that flash but surely if he's getting it 30+ times a game thats 30 less times the oppo have it.Can't see it being and issue if he has the football smarts.

Had my first look at the carnival yesterday , my very uneducated thoughts .

Sims : Took a great contested grab in first 10 seconds I saw , agility seemed of the charts for a big bloke , definite huge upside for me.

Dodson: obviously helped by the constant talking up by the commentators, great sign for a basketball converter to win lots of footy .

Smillie , geez what a unit , do we question he’s hardness ? Looked all class to me but appeared in 3rd gear and not wanting to get injured , in saying that wouldn’t be unhappy to get him .

Oliver looked to have the AFL half back traits , lovely left boot .

Trainor loved his kicking , like a lot of big kids over the years , looks like he could be very good , however has he the size athletic ability needed when at the top level , certainly wouldn’t be unhappy for him to land at punt rd

Overall much higher standard then recent years I thought , not sure there’s a heap of AAs but definitely a lot of 100 gamers

Reactions: 1 user