2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Is Smillie tanking? Been told to put his cue in the rack?
Last couple of games in the championships have been extremely underwhelming for such a fancied talent.

I think theres some manchild effect at play?

Coming back to the pack size-wise a bit?

Pretty sure He was 195/85 at 16 and i reckon he'd grown all he was gonna???

Reactions: 2 users
.lSo Jagga gets it on average 30+ times a match.I hear his mtrs gained isn't that flash but surely if he's getting it 30+ times a game thats 30 less times the oppo have it.Can't see it being and issue if he has the football smarts.
That's only the first part of the equation DDD. Next point of interest is what happens after he's disposed of the footy. Is it a turnover? Does he release a team mate into space and enable him time to hurt the opposition? Does he simply put a team mate under the pump with his dinky little possessions? Does he instigate scoring chains off his initial possessions?
Where's the junior watchers, what's the verdict on what happens when Jagga does his thing? Butcher or Inventor?

Reactions: 1 user
That's only the first part of the equation DDD. Next point of interest is what happens after he's disposed of the footy. Is it a turnover? Does he release a team mate into space and enable him time to hurt the opposition? Does he simply put a team mate under the pump with his dinky little possessions? Does he instigate scoring chains off his initial possessions?
Where's the junior watchers, what's the verdict on what happens when Jagga does his thing? Butcher or Inventor?
Inventor.
Elite at holding onto the ball long enough to draw the opponent and to give him the extra time to find the best option to hit his team mate

• Love
RCD never got enough of the ball to be considered a midfielder. They were hoping he would after drafting
I know there are exceptions, but in general if you can’t find the ball against your u18 peers, how on earth are you going to find it against the best players in the land from the last 15 years?

I hope we remember this come draft time.

Reactions: 8 users
I know there are exceptions, but in general if you can’t find the ball against your u18 peers, how on earth are you going to find it against the best players in the land from the last 15 years?

I hope we remember this come draft time.

Yeah thats broadly the simple rule ive come to understand.

25yos generally play the way they did when they were 17 yos

Reactions: 1 user
Certainly not the first crap game he's had this season, at his pay rate they should be extremely rare.
Plays petulant and totally individual figjam footy, which makes him a highlights reel when he's on but an unreliable team breaker when he's not. One of the first I'd have on the table.
I'm against trading senior players normally. You need them to maintain the fibre of your club as you rebuild. But I'll make an exception for Bolton. He brings nothing in the way of leadership and character. If we got a high pick for him and we drafted in a kid with speed, skills and grit - that would be a win for me.

Tip of the hat to Cal Twomey. Proposes a draft 'time capsule' to deal with endless hindsight revisionism. All the recruiters anonymously submit their top 30 or 40, it gets opened in a year or 2. Lifts the veil of secrecy and will take out a lot of speculation. I've said for years, if everyone rates player X at pick 4, and he gets drafted at 4 or beyond, and he doesn't make it, was it a bad pick? I like it.

Reactions: 5 users
Tip of the hat to Cal Twomey. Proposes a draft 'time capsule' to deal with endless hindsight revisionism. All the recruiters anonymously submit their top 30 or 40, it gets opened in a year or 2. Lifts the veil of secrecy and will take out a lot of speculation. I've said for years, if everyone rates player X at pick 4, and he gets drafted at 4 or beyond, and he doesn't make it, was it a bad pick? I like it.
If everyone was wrong, does that make one of the people who was wrong, wrong?

Yes.

If everyone was wrong, does that make one of the people who was wrong, wrong?

Yes.
Of course. But it provides bucketloads of perspective and context. If if everyone was wrong, you can't relentlessy pillory and bag and troll one person who was also wrong.

Of course. But it provides bucketloads of perspective and context. If if everyone was wrong, you can't relentlessy pillory and bag and troll one person who was also wrong.
Sure. But you also can't retrospectively make Tambling the right pick just because everyone was wrong.

Reactions: 1 users
Sure. But you also can't retrospectively make Tambling the right pick just because everyone was wrong.
Of course. Its an excellent example. I'm skeptical that everyone, or even most had him before Buddy. Thats a myth thats been peddled, it may be true, half true, or total BS. But with Cal Baby's little time capsule we'd know. I'd be interested anyway.

Of course. Its an excellent example. I'm skeptical that everyone, or even most had him before Buddy. Thats a myth thats been peddled, it may be true, half true, or total BS. But with Cal Baby's little time capsule we'd know. I'd be interested anyway.

The AFL would keep the time capsules secret.

Or maybe just show geelong, who would develop an AI draft predictor.

Sportsbet would also frame a market

'Draft revisionist multi'

*smile* the AFL - its all *smile* and getting *smile* er

Reactions: 1 users
It's not going to happen. Clubs won't hand over their IP just so Caldum can create content.

Reactions: 3 users