2015 Leadership Group | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2015 Leadership Group

Tigion said:
there is more to being a leader than playing on the footy ground - i seem to remember the same things were being said about the man he replaced jacko when he was moved to the leadership group and look how that ended -
Yep. Lot of that leading stuff involves helping develop the character n discipline of the younger players, on and off field, plus community involvement, plus media, sponsor n supporter involvement.
There's a little bit more to leadership around footy clubs these days than just having a Carey, Fevola or Percy running the show.

IanG said:
Don't mind Morris being included but the omission of Rance and Reiwoldt merits explanation, on the face of it its quite bizarre.

Houli as well.

The real leaders at Richmond are Cotchin, Maric, Rance and Jack.

Kingy also before his injuries and retirement.

Morris does speak and present well.

Probably there to represent the little skill high G & D demographgic now that Jacko has gone.

Or maybe Morris goes about it in and out of the club, on and off the field, in a way that makes him an obvious selection for the Leadership Group

Real leadership manifests in the respect from your team mates.....obviously the people that matter at the club are smarter than a lot give credit for.

A wise choice in that he displays courage and desperation.

Like his dad...tough and reliable....uncompromising and there to be seen....

Not sure what the criteria is for being part of the leadership group is but Jack and Rance should be there

pervian said:
Not sure what the criteria is for being part of the leadership group is but Jack and Rance should be there
If you don't know what the criteria is how can you judge who should be in it ?
St Kevin said:
There is a fine line between desperation at the contest and being a bit of a dumb footballer.

That 'habit' more often than not involves him lunging at the ball and losing his feet, thus leaving him out of the contest when someone else takes possession.

As I said before though, best of luck to him and I hope he gets back to his 2013 level.
Disagree.
His desperation is inspiring at times. Say what you like about Morris as a footballer but I bet he is loved as a teammate for his uncompromising desperation

Sintiger said:
His desperation is inspiring at times. Say what you like about Morris as a footballer but I bet he is loved as a teammate for his uncompromising desperation
Only have to look back at that double tackle in the wet against Wet Coke last year. The players were still sliding along the turf n Morris reached across n ruffled his team mates head, think it was Batch from vague n boozy memory. The instant acknowledgement of his inexperienced n borderline, team mate would have been inspirational for all involved.

I just think back to Morris' late season effort on Eddie Betts and it was as good an effort on a dangerous small forward as it gets.
Steve can play alright. He is a damn fine shutdown small defender the likes of which we haven't had in years.
It's damn important that he get his body right because he is part of the puzzle if he can.
Yes he made some mistakes this year but to play for a whole year with a busted shoulder speaks volumes for his character.
Not hard to see why players respect the guy.

Was a liability for much of the season ILHO.

We can afford one kamikaze defender i.e. Rance because of everything else he provides. Not two who's first instinct is to attack the ball with no regard for teammate nor keeping feet for next contest. Lest, and as we've seen, easy opposition goals follow.

Needs to get back to 13' form or position should be in jeopardy.

Leysy Days said:
Was a liability for much of the season ILHO.

True Daisy Lays. 8-
Anyone with half an insight into footy could see Morris was battling at times this season.
No doubt the coach, administrators and even Steve at times this year felt the same way as most of us as too his shortcomings. Hardly revelatory stuff.

Facts are unless we have a better option at hand, Steve's still the clear BP incumbent.

Steve's 2014 season was the most obvious example of an injury affecting a player's performance that you will ever see in your life. Every week he clutched his shoulder in pain and kept going. Yet somehow, some people choose to take his 2014 season as a stronger indicator of future performance than his 2013 season.

I look forward to seeing him do very well next year and remain a best 22 player during our tilt at greater ambitions. Either Morris will be touching that premiership cup one day, or he's injured that day, or RFC won't be winning one anytime soon. Provided it's a Hardwick team.

Whilst I do expect that a member of the leadership group should ideally be in the best 22 the playing group are not voting for the 5 best players.

When i think of Stevie Morris the image I have in my head is him walking off the ground after the elimination final, head bandaged with tears streaming down his face.

Bleeds yellow and black and that's a great start and he is clearly valued by the playing group.

I've been thinking that players are the last people you'd ask who you want as your leaders.

Players seem to equate seriousness and dullness as a pre requisite for leadership.

Extroverts with a sense of humour fare badly in leadership calculations.

But if we are level at three quarter time in a final next year, who would you be banking on to lead us home - Morris or Rance, or Morris or Jack ?

I'm sure Steve leads the way on the track, he is level headed and presents well. So good luck to him.

Not quite in the Vanderberg leadership class yet.

He's the player I'm most conflicted about. I really want him to do well. But he was awful this year in so many ways. He was caught spectating again and again, his man got inside him and lead him back into space again and again, he went to ground again and again. Yet he could do the mercurial and alarmingly courageous feats.

I really hope you gets it right next year and just flays'em.

I have to admit to being a little surprised and perplexed by this announcement. I hope there is a commensurate improvement in his 2015 form.

Have just heard Ross Lyon praising his leaders after the stoic win against Port in a game that had finals like intensity. Saying he expects his leaders to lead and they did that tonight.

Whilst it was pleasing the other night that we won against Carlton without a huge input from many of our senior players and 3 from our current leadership group in Lids, Cotch and Chaplin there will be plenty of times this year against quality opposition that they are going to be needed.
I hope Gerard Murphy is just the tonic to get our leaders to perform on the big stage. We've been to the big dance a couple of times now and some of them have barely fired a shot.
No more excuses now the leaders need to stand up when it counts.

Tigers of Old said:
Have just heard Ross Lyon praising his leaders after the stoic win against Port in a game that had finals like intensity. Saying he expects his leaders to lead and they did that tonight.

Whilst it was pleasing the other night that we won against Carlton without a huge input from many of our senior players and 3 from our current leadership group in Lids, Cotch and Chaplin there will be plenty of times this year against quality opposition that they are going to be needed.
I hope Gerard Murphy is just the tonic to get our leaders to perform on the big stage. We've been to the big dance a couple of times now and some of them have barely fired a shot.
No more excuses now the leaders need to stand up when it counts.

great point!