Winderlich a Tiger? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Winderlich a Tiger?

bullus_hit said:
Sure he could but we have 7 spots available on the list. Fitness pending, Winderlich is best 22, no question in my mind. If he comes at no cost then I'm all for it, we lost White & it hurt us to some degree. I just want some balance restored to the list.

Do we still think we're top 4 or 6. Bewildering. Even Higgins was a no-no for most....and he's still just 26.

I understand your point, but IMO his age is way beyond this been acceptable. Can't we just let Lloyd and Gordon develop.....bloody hell.

bullus_hit said:
Sure he could but we have 7 spots available on the list. Fitness pending, Winderlich is best 22, no question in my mind. If he comes at no cost then I'm all for it, we lost White & it hurt us to some degree. I just want some balance restored to the list.

Quality player and agree entirely.

Didn't see this one coming. As long as he is cheap I'd grab him with open arms. Is quick, has good goal sense, not easily pushed off the ball for a smallish guy and is more than competent overhead. However, isn't young and has had continued injury issues. It's more the circumstances of him wanting out I find quite fascinating. Obviously not a Hirdite. Essendon will probably want Cotch, lids, Dusty, Flossy, Rance in exchange.

Has played some good games against us. I'm a bit skeptical given his age and injury history, but may be a cheap replacement for King/White. It might be sacrilege to say it, but I'd sooner he gets a game than Newman on 2014 form. And he comes without a SCN.

Is he going to be the assistant for the VFL team ?

TigerForce said:
Do we still think we're top 4 or 6. Bewildering. Even Higgins was a no-no for most....and he's still just 26.

I understand your point, but IMO his age is way beyond this been acceptable. Can't we just let Lloyd and Gordon develop.....bloody hell.
You can't compare him to Higgins. Totally different types of players.

No doubt his body holding up is the big unknown but he brings much needed pace to our team.

High risk - high reward proposition.

Smoking Aces said:

No doubt his body holding up is the big unknown but he brings much needed pace to our team.

why is he high risk

TigerForce said:

I think that was probably more because Higgins is slow and soft. Winderlich is a far more damaging player IMO

Smoking Aces said:

PSD or rookie. Nothing else.

Stuart Dew ... Retired, unfit (fat) and picked up by hawthorn at 29 yo. Won the grand final for them. Winderlich has that potential and if it costs us virtually nothing, why not - he's a bloody good footballer.

A 29 year old with a history of injuries????......not sure the long term vision is with this one....god help us if we pay overs like we did with Hampson last year....

TigerForce said:
PSD or rookie. Nothing else.
Won't happen that way. Essendon will use the contract extension as leverage.

Hopefully they grow a conscious and allow him to move for a late pick.

Smoking Aces said:
High risk in terms of whether his body will hold up.

low risk in that he will cost us peanuts and he is good enough to be in our best 22 easily, low risk because he will walk in and be the 2nd quickest player on the list. This one is a no brainer

Why go after Winderlich but not even try for Chapman last year. This club baffles me.

Backbone said:
Stuart Dew ... Retired, unfit (fat) and picked up by hawthorn at 29 yo. Won the grand final for them. Winderlich has that potential and if it costs us virtually nothing, why not - he's a bloody good footballer.

Yep, good example, Dew fulfilled an immediate need and was only ever expected to be around for 2 seasons, Winderlich is no different. Clubs do this all the time when the window is open, we lack pace and we can potentially get a quality player on the cheap.

Smoking Aces said:
Won't happen that way. Essendon will use the contract extension as leverage.

Hopefully they grow a conscious and allow him to move for a late pick.

He'd be OK if we were a top 4 or 6 primed for a flag, but we're not. Why doesn't he just walk out and claim free agency?

Barnzy said:
Why go after Winderlich but not even try for Chapman last year. This club baffles me.

Chappy is 3 years older and has lost a yard, their seasons were also comparable in terms of impact.