West Coast has won 524 more free kicks than its opposition....... | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

West Coast has won 524 more free kicks than its opposition.......

Chiang Mai Tiger said:
Yep, thanks to the Giesch I found myself barracking for Scumwood Saturday.

No mean feat I tell you!

Good Lord!

I hope you fixed your broken soul after the game by singing the greatest club song of all about 200 times while waving a Tigers scarf over your head!

I'm only every tempted to barrack for the Scabbies when they play Cartoon. And then I turn off the telly and find something else to do. ;D

its hard to dent that the umpiring advantage they receive places them up a rung or 2 on the hateable scale. some say they are smart by going about things the way they do, but IMO they lose a lot of integrity with the blatant playing for high free kicks.

Ian4 said:
now would be a good time to send a reminder to the umpires about the tactics of these jokers.

Should do it the week before we play them. ;)

Smart people would understand the rules n learn the right tactics to exploit maximum advantage of the rules instead of bleating about them.

Even our very own Jakey learnt how to lower the knees n shrug the shoulders so that he now gets free kicks for being decapitated instead of simply being ignored by the maggots.

TigerMasochist said:
Even our very own Jakey learnt how to lower the knees n shrug the shoulders so that he now gets free kicks for being decapitated instead of simply being ignored by the maggots.

I'm not sure I have ever seen Jake get a free kick for high contact. Indeed, I reckon I have seen at least a couple where the umpire has penalised Jake for striking his opponents arm with his head.

Streak said:
I'm not sure I have ever seen Jake get a free kick for high contact. Indeed, I reckon I have seen at least a couple where the umpire has penalised Jake for striking his opponents arm with his head.
Haven't you been watching games this year streaky one? For a ratbag hardnut who couldn't buy a free with a fist full of chooklotto tickets Jakeys been breaking better than even with the maggots.

TigerMasochist said:
Haven't you been watching games this year streaky one? For a ratbag hardnut who couldn't buy a free with a fist full of chooklotto tickets Jakeys been breaking better than even with the maggots.

I forgot my cute laugh at the end of my post TM.

He has been getting a decent run from the umps this year. The only thing I'd question is if this is due to him learning how to drop in a tackle. In his case, more likely he has learned to jump instead.

;D Jakeys got the Selwood shrug working very nicely this year.
Taking players a long time to work out that the head is a sacred site in football, way to many slow learners still falling into high contact trap n a handfull of smart operators keep gaining from others stupidity.

TigerMasochist said:
Smart people would understand the rules n learn the right tactics to exploit maximum advantage of the rules instead of bleating about them.

So you're encouraging cheating?

Ian4 said:
Every player thats ever played the game has pushed the boundaries of the rules as far as possible to manipulate a favourable result. Never cheating if you don't get caught n if you get caught it's penalised.

Interesting to hear Luke Darcy advocating the Selwoods propensity to shrug into "high" free kicks and that it was legal and "in the spirit of the game"! How is it in the spirit of the game?

If a player ducks his head to draw a high tackle then he's putting himself at risk. If KB is really serious about the head being sacrosanct then maybe they should have a free kick against them for dangerous play, much like the new sliding rule and kicking in danger.

That will never happen, but surely the rule could be tweaked so that the umpire can interpret whether a tackle is negligent and potentially cause injury, whereas a shrug of the shoulder isn;t negligent or dangerous and is therefore play on.

Thus a finger touching the top of a shoulder should be play on while dangerous/injurious/negligent contact would draw a free.

Tony Braxton-Hicks said:
If a player ducks his head to draw a high tackle then he's putting himself at risk. If KB is really serious about the head being sacrosanct then maybe they should have a free kick against them for dangerous play, much like the new sliding rule and kicking in danger.

That will never happen, but surely the rule could be tweaked so that the umpire can interpret whether a tackle is negligent and potentially cause injury, whereas a shrug of the shoulder isn;t negligent or dangerous and is therefore play on.

Thus a finger touching the top of a shoulder should be play on while dangerous/injurious/negligent contact would draw a free.
I said this on another thread but it shouldn't e over the shoulder but above the neck.

There really needs to be a reinterpretation of the rule around ducking, as it is essentially akin to "staging" for a free kick.

The Duckwood brothers are milking it for all it's worth. There was a reinterpretation of the rule whereby players charging head first into a pack, it was previously judged as high, is now "play-on". This should be adjudicated the same. If an umpire sees a player about to get tackled, and that player purposely drops his knees, and ducks into the tackle to draw a head high, then it should be called play-on.

Ian4 said:

I reckon cheating is too strong a word Ian. I don't like it, but the guys are not going outside the rules as they stand.

I cast my mind back to the days of KB and throwing the ball in front of himself when he was about to be tackled. He earned a lot of free kicks doing that until they changed the rule to stamp it out.

i would like to see a tackler swing their arm hard, especially in a GF, at a Selwood, Shuey ect, then when they shrug, hit them hard around the head, very hard. free kick but maybe knock them out and they are out of the game. be interesting if it went to the tribunal.

Brodders17 said:
i would like to see a tackler swing their arm hard, especially in a GF, at a Selwood, Shuey ect, then when they shrug, hit them hard around the head, very hard. free kick but maybe knock them out and they are out of the game. be interesting if it went to the tribunal.

Yep. I'd pay good money to see that.