West Coast has won 524 more free kicks than its opposition....... | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

West Coast has won 524 more free kicks than its opposition.......

Watching the 2 finals last weekend makes me think the AFL have a pretty shallow po0l to select the Granny umpires from.

My other view is, its NOT at times the ones the Eags get, its the identical situtaion in a game when the other team DOESN'T get them, hence the huge discrepency. Sat night game was a perect example of this. How on earth Jacobs didnt get a free (blatant trip) when the ump had a perfect view, and how on earth a north bloke being taken out whilst on the mark were typical of what i mean.

IMHO, if they're the best umpires In the AFL, quite frankly the game is stuffed.

I don't think I have ever seen a more incompetent exhibition of umpiring in my life,& believe me I have seen a lot of games of footy.

West Coast Eagles crowds boo every free to the opposition and cheer wildly every free kick to the Eagles. Victorian supporters become frustrated by every free kick to the other team and, when their team gets one, they give a sarcastic Bronx cheer. You never hear a West Coast Eagles crowd giving the Umpire a Bronx cheer, they cheer enthusiastically every time the Umpire gets on their page.

Hence, it follows that at their games it is classic carrot and stick stuff. Free to them.......boo..boooo..free to us....yaayyyyyyyy .........woo hoooooooo.......

Other crowds are just not that smart and struggle to control their anger. These statistics clearly show that:

Umpire behaviour is classically Pavlovian
Weagles crowds are smarter than other crowds
Punishing umpires with Bronx cheers is counter-productive
Umpires are only human
Statistics can be used to support any argument.

How about if we ironically boo free kicks in our favour? We've got to do something to break this vicious cycle

antman said:
How about if we ironically boo free kicks in our favour? We've got to do something to break this vicious cycle

The old double negative? Won't work, we need to develop the yayyyyy...woo hoooooo......chuck stuff up in the air......technique to make them feel good about themselves.

Just as an aside, I was watching the future stars program at the gym yesterday and they interviewed Terry Wallace's son who is now an umpire. He was asked a question about a particular decision he made in a game and he used the term: " I was PLAYING in the Freo forward line......"

Interesting mindset. Umpires consider themselves to be playing in the game, they consider themselves part of the drama.

That is the umpiring problem right there. This is not a criticism of Brent Wallace, he is just parroting what he hears at training every night and hears from his bosses during games. What this is, is an insight into the mindset of the umpiring fraternity in general.

Umpires are not playing in the game. They are officiating. They are not part of the drama. They are officials and their job is to stop players breaking or bending rules. They are not there to attract attention, they are there to be impartial and completely objective.

Went to the VFL GF yesterday, umpiring was superb, only 1 free I disagreed with. & only 24 paid all game
None of the ridiculous stacks on the mill holding the ball decisions, they threw it up every time it happened.
Very easy game to watch

taztiger4 said:
Went to the VFL GF yesterday, umpiring was superb, only 1 free I disagreed with. & only 24 paid all game
None of the ridiculous stacks on the mill holding the ball decisions, they threw it up every time it happened.
Very easy game to watch
Yeah, the commentators had a few sly digs comparing the VFL umpiring go the afl umpiring.

taztiger4 said:
Very easy game to watch

yeah i though the umpiring was pretty good too. Not sure how it is split with the AFL fraternity and whether they have different bosses and thus directives. Good to see then not pay silly 50 metres or reversals for players pushing and shoving/wrestling off the ball.

Chimptastic said:
That implies the effect is entirely due to umpires being influenced by the crowd. Freo and Adelaide don't receive such an advantage, so it's more likely that they know the rules better than the opposition, which would be a pretty silent advantage otherwise.

Carlton's Mitch Robinson goes 3rd man up and taps the ball through for a rushed behind... this doesn't happen at West Coast. Knowing the rules is probably a big thing in their culture. How many players know every technicality surrounding the holding the ball? When to hold on and force a ball up. When to let the ball conveniently spill forward. If you know the rules perfectly, you can push those boundaries.

Doesn't wash when you look at individual players that leave the eagles and go elsewhere, you would assume the take that knowledge with them?