West Coast has won 524 more free kicks than its opposition....... | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

West Coast has won 524 more free kicks than its opposition.......

Chiang Mai Tiger said:
Didn't Worsfold come across as a 'Thompsonesque' smug arrogant pr!ck at his presser the other day.

Yes he did !

The eagles have only slaughtered weaker teams this year and come very close to losing against us , the hawks and kangaroos!
We didn't lose because of free kicks to them we lost because we didn't quite have the skill to nail the important goals !
Never the less they are ducking and shirking the shoulder in order to turn a legitimate tackle into a free kick ! That much can't be disputed , I think sooner rather than later umpires will be more hesitant when paying it ! Personally I hate any sort of " professional free kick " it's not part of our game !

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Since 2008 it's up to more than 6 frees a game. It's not as though it's anything new, the Eagles were getting a good run even when they were sh!t. Your posting over the years suggests you have one foot in the Eagles' camp, so I can understand you being cynical regarding the timing of the article.

Maybe the umpires just like the Eagles' colours.
When you live over here, you can't help but watch them, and how well they are run and how they are never out of finals contention for too long and they don't tolerate failure, and in regard to the advantage at Subi, sorry Pattersons Stadium, they don't share the same luxury when playing away, the fact they are enjoying a good rub of the green the last 18 months is due to the fact they are winning and when they do lose, they are usually in the game up til the final siren, so it's to be expected they would be more than competitive in free counts!

Chiang Mai Tiger said:
Didn't Worsfold come across as a 'Thompsonesque' smug arrogant pr!ck at his presser the other day.
How do you expect him to be, he's been questioned about the ducking issue for a few weeks now, you do tire of it, remember he was apart of the first 10 years of West Coast, he would have a long memory of the lopsided free kick counts that used to go against the successful team he lead, if you had seen the whole press conference, there was a bit of joking around, bit of serious stuff, typical Q & A with a coach!

arlobill said:
Yes he did !

The eagles have only slaughtered weaker teams this year and come very close to losing against us , the hawks and kangaroos!
We didn't lose because of free kicks to them we lost because we didn't quite have the skill to nail the important goals !
Never the less they are ducking and shirking the shoulder in order to turn a legitimate tackle into a free kick ! That much can't be disputed , I think sooner rather than later umpires will be more hesitant when paying it ! Personally I hate any sort of " professional free kick " it's not part of our game !
They beat WBulldogs, Melbourne and GWS quite easily, to be expected, they beat Hawthorn in a tough game, they probably should have won by 3 goals and sealed it earlier, They beat the Tigers, after losing 2 before half time, which happened against GWS as well, they thrashed North Melbourne everywhere but the scoreboard last week and all this with anywhere from 6-9 of their best 20 not playing, they are missing close to 200 goals from last year, yet still winning, I'd take the 6 wins if I was in that position, they are blooding their next ruckman in Lycett for when Cox pulls up stumps and he looks the goods, some of their young big men are going well in the WAFL, I can see the flag heading west in 2013!

If you thought this was an AFL umpire you were mistaken. Its a West Coast sub who forgot to take his vest off.

The free kick performance against Brisbane today was a disgrace even by West Coast standards

Attachments

• 555243-umpire.jpg
    555243-umpire.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 7
They can bank on 6 more frees and 2 shots at goal more than their opponents.
Just amazing, they're rapidly overtaking Carlton and Collingwood as my most hated team.

If anyone watched the game from start to finish, I'd be interested to hear what their thoughts on the umpiring were and who they thought touched the Darling sealer that the umpire signalled was touched, considering the Brisbane player never got near it and with 90 seconds of play would have had West Coast up by 9 points, instead allowing Brisbane to run the ball down field pretty much uncontested and win the game, I noticed the offending goal umpire was very sheepish when running, and he was running past the West Coast players at the end!

Talon said:
If anyone watched the game from start to finish, I'd be interested to hear what their thoughts on the umpiring were and who they thought touched the Darling sealer that the umpire signalled was touched, considering the Brisbane player never got near it and with 90 seconds of play would have had West Coast up by 9 points, instead allowing Brisbane to run the ball down field pretty much uncontested and win the game, I noticed the offending goal umpire was very sheepish when running, and he was running past the West Coast players at the end!
get a grip claw this lot average 8 free kicks a game more than their opposition. The next best is 3. And you want to pluck a touched ball decision. What about the shoulder to the head up the other end that went unnoticed. It's a joke week in week out

i'm staggered that this farce has been highlighted in the media a lot in recent timeas and they are still getting an armchair ride. they talk about how the selwoods keep getting free kicks, but just watch that hams guy. i'd like to see his free kick stats

Ian4 said:
i'm staggered that this farce has been highlighted in the media a lot in recent timeas and they are still getting an armchair ride. they talk about how the selwoods keep getting free kicks, but just watch that hams guy. i'd like to see his free kick stats

Top 5 WC frees for

Shuey 30 - 9 games
Cox 24 -10 games
Hams 17 - 7 games
Kerr 17 - 10 games
S Selwood 16 - 10 games

2012 Frees differential (FF minus FA). WC has most FF and least FA.

West Coast 86
Port Adelaide 31
Essendon 15
GWS Giants 14
Western Bulldogs 10
Sydney 8
Richmond 2
North Melbourne 1
St Kilda 0
Fremantle -3
Brisbane Lions -4
Adelaide -8
Collingwood -13
Hawthorn -19
Melbourne -22
Carlton -20
Geelong -25
Gold Coast -26

Jukes Extended said:
I watched the game this weekend...every high tackle was there.
I thought so too Jukes, the only one who actually does duck his head is Adam Selwood and has done for years, West Coast are enjoying a good run with frees but were on the wrong end of several holding the ball non decisions yesterday that were quite obvious, most post their comments without actually seeing footage of the game!

Jukes Extended said:
I watched the game this weekend...every high tackle was there.
Including the one on Green for which Glass is likely to be cited but no free kick paid. And the not facing the ball arm around the head on McGrath minutes earlier. I think you were only looking at it one way.

Talon said:
I thought so too Jukes, the only one who actually does duck his head is Adam Selwood and has done for years, West Coast are enjoying a good run with frees but were on the wrong end of several holding the ball non decisions yesterday that were quite obvious, most post their comments without actually seeing footage of the game!

Laughable.

Bill James said:
Including the one on Green for which Glass is likely to be cited but no free kick paid. And the not facing the ball arm around the head on McGrath minutes earlier. I think you were only looking at it one way.

I was talking about the frees given to wce...not the ones missed for brissy.

Ian4 said:
don't think the stats have improved, despite the high public debate on this

According to the Giesch and Fraser they were all there
:eek:
Over 22 games you would expect them to average out evenly but a large discrepancy tells me there are other factors
Which unfortunately leads to crowd bias ,ducking tactics, Umpire favouring them in games where they play sides well below them etc etc