West Coast has won 524 more free kicks than its opposition....... | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

West Coast has won 524 more free kicks than its opposition.......

PBoRSM said:
Tend to agree with you Eagle Claw. Not many rules in aussie rules refer to the "intention" of an act. No where does it say that a deliberate push in the back is more harshly punished or, indeed, that a accidental arm chop shouldn't be penalised.

Whether players are dropping to their knees deliberately or not, it is against the rules to intentionally, recklessly or accidentally make any sort of tackling contact above the shoulder.

There are four ways to solve this issue
1. change the rules to treat this sort of action in the same vain as ducking the head (hard to police but possible)
2. change the rules to make it illegal to take possession or dispose of the football whilst not on your feet. This takes away the advantage of "going to ground" whilst in possession of the footy
3. train players to not tackle players that drop their knees, but rather wait until they have gone to ground where their ability to have an effective disposal is reduced
4. train players to tackle better

I prefer option 4. Too many players tackle lazily, which leads to missed tackles, as well as these free kicks.

Richmond was notorious for missing tackles until 12 months ago - we have improved here fortunately.

This is a media beat up that will be forgotten by round 16 - someone can quote me on that!!

As for WCE getting 524 more free kicks in Perth (the actual topic of the thread) - it's called home ground advantage. One of the anomalies of our game is half the sides are in one city. Therefore interstate sides enjoy much better home support as a percentage and much less support away. A side like Richmond plays a great majority of home games where the crowd is maybe split 60-40 our way, not much more home support and hard to influence the umps a lot more than the Pies/Bombers/Dogs supporters at the ground. However, WCE play 10 of 11 home games in front of a crowd split 95-5 in their favour. Course the influence is going to be greater. Even when they play Dockers at home they enjoy a 75-25 split as Subi is not as big as the MCG.

I think you'll find their away free kick counts against Melbourne sides is a lot more against them than Richmond's away free kick counts against other Melbourne sides. One of the benefits of supporting a Melbourne based club is that three quarters of the games we play in are derbies. I wouldn't swap that to get a good run from umps every second game - NEXT TOPIC!!
I get a little concerned when people refer to me as some sort of CLAW!

Talon said:
L2R2R, Smasha and Arlobill, the hard done by crap is getting a bit too much

Wha? I said last week that we weren't greatly disadvantaged by the umpiring over the four quarters while most others would've lynched McBurney if they could.

You don't think West Coast get a consistently good run at home?

martyshire said:
IMO the AFL either needs to penalise people who they suspect are guilty of it or relax the ruling on legit bumps.

Actually, on second thoughts, what the AFL could do is reduce the amount of time a player has to get rid of the ball. These days, there is no point tackling around the hips and waist because the player with the ball raises his arms to get outside the tackle and then has a couple of seconds to get rid of the ball. Usually it's a clean possession. If the player with the ball who frees his arms is given less time to dispose of the ball, there is a higher chance the this player will turn the ball over or get pinged, so there would be less incentive for the tackler to pin the arms (i.e. he would tackle lower).

There would probably be more turnovers, but we didn't mind that in the olden days!

martyshire said:
Actually, on second thoughts, what the AFL could do is reduce the amount of time a player has to get rid of the ball. These days, there is no point tackling around the hips and waist because the player with the ball raises his arms to get outside the tackle and then has a couple of seconds to get rid of the ball. Usually it's a clean possession. If the player with the ball who frees his arms is given less time to dispose of the ball, there is a higher chance the this player will turn the ball over or get pinged, so there would be less incentive for the tackler to pin the arms (i.e. he would tackle lower).

There would probably be more turnovers, but we didn't mind that in the olden days!

I still think people are missing the point. Selwood started it at Geelong with the shrugg. Clubs haven't found a way around it yet, basically if he is stronger than the tackler he will be able to force the tackle to shift high. The Eagles have found a way to do this regardless of the difference in strength. That is, they start to pump one arm upwards (a bit like a goal celebration) as the tackler comes in to make contact. As the tackler starts to wrap his arms around this forces one arm to slide up over the shoulder. The reason I think this can be counter-acted is the obvious nature of it. Once the players start to wise up to it, it will go out of use, IMO. The unfortunate alternative is that they will start to copy it! If that happens I think you can expect a rule change.

Talon said:
I can't believe the embarrassing crap I'm reading on this site, some people need to take their heads out of their back passages!

HAHAHAHAH..sorry talon ....but i do not think a player who is first to the ball has some god almighty right to duck down and run into an opponent forcing a free kick...

you might think thats an embarrassing opinion...good for you

Isn't it a shame that West Coast are playing Essendon this week? They are almost being given the green light to rip off a few heads, without consequence, while the rest of the Football world cheers them on.

I'd hate to see those Schmucks win a game against WC because the umpiring fraternity decides to address the 524 free kick imbalance and the Duckers Affair all in one weekend, before they return to normality, business as usual the following week.

martyshire said:
Why. What will the tackler do instead?
Once they know the motion they are looking for, they will not try to pin both arms. That gives them a much better shot at getting a "holding the ball" free as the player trying scum a dodgey free will have an arm free but he won't be trying to handball. He'll be expecting a free for "head high" and will look like a goose.

martyshire said:
Why. What will the tackler do instead?

I'd hate to see it, but if a player ducked just when the tackler lifted his knee, I wonder what the umpire would do.

KnightersRevenge said:
Once they know the motion they are looking for, they will not try to pin both arms. That gives them a much better shot at getting a "holding the ball" free as the player trying scum a dodgey free will have an arm free but he won't be trying to handball. He'll be expecting a free for "head high" and will look like a goose.
I reckon they'd still have enough time to get a handball off (under the current interpretation of how long a play has to get rid of the ball). That's why the umpires should give players less time to dispose of the ball IMO.

martyshire said:
I reckon they'd still have enough time to get a handball off (under the current interpretation of how long a play has to get rid of the ball). That's why the umpires should give players less time to dispose of the ball IMO.

I would happily agree with this as long as it only applied to opposition teams.

personally i wouldn't like the reputation of ducking tackles... makes supporters think you're trying to shirk the contest - hence soft.

smasha said:
524 more .Unbelievable stat.

f'oath it is. and i'm glad its out in the media now (pity they're playing the bummers this week).

arlobill said:
HAHAHAHAH..sorry talon ....but i do not think a player who is first to the ball has some god almighty right to duck down and run into an opponent forcing a free kick...

you might think thats an embarrassing opinion...good for you
I'm not saying that Arlobill, I'm saying if your first to the ball, odds are the umpires are gonna see it in the ball players favour, not the tacklers, I don't think the West Coast go ducking down and run into opposition, the tackles are either starting out too high or starting low and slipping whether the ball carrier forces it or the tackler does it on his own accord. One thing I've notices with the heading for this subject is 524 frees, over the 12 year period that the stat is recorded on, West Coast play a total of 12 games a season there, so on average that's just under an extra 4 frees a game, now some games they would finish with 5, 10 maybe 15 more frees than the opposition, where in some games that allow them to be on the wrong side of the free kick ratio, the stat look damning when totalled up, but when looking at it for what it is, it really isn't a issue, it's just another point to hang your hat on when your getting beaten, cause you don't get beaten cause your no good, you get beaten because of outside influences and that everyone's against you!

Talon said:
One thing I've notices with the heading for this subject is 524 frees, over the 12 year period that the stat is recorded on, West Coast play a total of 12 games a season there, so on average that's just under an extra 4 frees a game

Since 2008 it's up to more than 6 frees a game. It's not as though it's anything new, the Eagles were getting a good run even when they were *smile*. Your posting over the years suggests you have one foot in the Eagles' camp, so I can understand you being cynical regarding the timing of the article.

Maybe the umpires just like the Eagles' colours.