West Coast has won 524 more free kicks than its opposition....... | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

West Coast has won 524 more free kicks than its opposition.......

Quite a large feeling of dread about how many they will get when we play them:
Team Differential
North Melbourne 34
West Coast Eagles 23
Geelong Cats 17
Gold Coast Suns 10
Melbourne 7
Essendon 6
Sydney Swans 5
Fremantle 2
Western Bulldogs 0
Adelaide Crows -1
Port Adelaide -1
Brisbane Lions -6
Collingwood -10
Richmond -10
Hawthorn -11
GWS Giants -13
Carlton -23
St Kilda -29

LOL Richmond near the bottom of the umpire popularity list as per usual.
:rofl

Could be a record low Monday Night with the 3 umpires named.

Stevic is he the Hawthorn member?

Bannister-Carlton Essendon player.

And the third umpire a proud West Australian.

west coast +201 in free kicks since the start of 2011. the next best is port with 96. so west coast are double the nearest team. lol. FYI, we are at -32.

i can't stand listening to kb,s self righteous rubbish anymore...how on earth can anyone who loves footy like seeing blatant milking of free kicks..?/ it boggles ones mind that the " selwood/priddas duck,shrug of the shoulders and fall forward to force a free kick" is something to excuse or even applaud!! what sort of an idiot enjoys or justifies this aspect of OUR game???
i have no respect for it,,,and no respect for players or repeatably do it...and can't fathom the umpires who pay it

oh the sweet irony would be to see a free kick payed to luke hodge against joel selwood in the dying seconds of this years grand final for a head high tackle,to give the hawks the winning goal...

what about mackenzie (i think it was). he got tackled late in the game and feigned high contact. from the normal camera angle it looked a free kick, but the side angle showed what a cheat he is. disgrace.

Drew Petrie tried his hand at it in the last quarter against Gold Coast the other night there were 2 real obvious acting efforts that were quite sad to watch.

Jukes Extended said:
Tackles the hips....case closed.

and leave the arms free?
if a player shrugs his arms or ducks his head or drops to his knees he is initiating the high contact. which as far as i can recall means it is not a free.

Brodders17 said:
and leave the arms free?
if a player shrugs his arms or ducks his head or drops to his knees he is initiating the high contact. which as far as i can recall means it is not a free.

I'd rather them tackle that way which rules out the possibility of players doing a Joel Selwood and giving a free away.

Ian4 said:
west coast +201 in free kicks since the start of 2011. the next best is port with 96. so west coast are double the nearest team. lol. FYI, we are at -32.
Thanks Ian, that is not a surprising stat, sadly! There was a caller to KB's show today lamenting the fact that the Eagles get 'murdered' away from Subi. Impressively, the caller didn't laugh at all :hihi

Ian4 said:

It was be comforting as a supporter to know you can go to a football game knowing you WILL be looked after by the umpires.

Ian4 said:
Just put that into some context. Since the start of 2011 West coast have played 55 Home and away games which means that over that period they average just under 4 more frees than their opposition.
That's 4 more possessions out of 600-700 possessions in a game.

Jukes Extended said:
Tackles the hips....case closed.

Yep, the skilled tacklers take one arm around the hips n hook an arm at the elbow joint. Elbow hinges so extremely hard to utilise the shrug n drop to drag high or keep control of any disposal attempt.
At worst the ball spills free or the tackler gets rewarded because the ball carrier can't effect a disposal.

arlobill said:
how on earth can anyone who loves footy like seeing blatant milking of free kicks..?/ it boggles ones mind that the " selwood/priddas duck,shrug of the shoulders and fall forward to force a free kick" is something to excuse or even applaud!! what sort of an idiot enjoys or justifies this aspect of OUR game???
i have no respect for it,,,and no respect for players or repeatably do it...and can't fathom the umpires who pay it

Hear hear. The way Joel Selwood and his brothers at the freegles (along with Shuey, Hams and half their team) duck their heads, drop at the knees, flail their arms, lurch themselves forward in tackles and squeal for free kicks is disgusting. It's a blight on the game and it goes completely against everything the game's about.

Ian4 said:
what about mackenzie (i think it was). he got tackled late in the game and feigned high contact. from the normal camera angle it looked a free kick, but the side angle showed what a cheat he is. disgrace.

Seems silly to point out just one instance but I remember in the North game there was one moment right near the boundary on the near side (before the robbery that happened later) where one of the Selwoods was clearly tackled around the waist and in typical fashion threw his head back and feigned high contact only this time it was so ridiculous even the umpire didn't fall for it. I've often thought this should be a free kick against but what really got me was I couldn't understand why the umpire just ignored it and didn't say anything about it. Not even a "cut that sort of thing out and just play footy"... Strange considering they often seem to be full of advice at other times when they've got no right to offer it.

Read this online at superfooty and it made me very angry.

JUMPING JACK? DUCKING JACK MORE FITTING

A VERY dubious free kick to Jack Riewoldt on the eve of half-time at the MCG yesterday which led to a goal drew the ire of commentator Paul Roos.

Adelaide were making a charge when Riewoldt gathered the ball and then very clearly ducked his head into a tackle when contact arrived.

He was able to milk the free kick, much to the frustration of Roos and many others.

"Players will now copy that," Roos said.

Too right they will, in fact it has already caught on.

When is the AFL's umpiring department going to wake up to this tactic?

West Coast have been doing this all year in every contest but let's hang Jack. Also watched the replay last night and the commentators were going on and on about it yet I watch West Coast games and hear nothing. ::)

It was as blatant as it gets. We can have a laugh that a rare one went in our favour, but as a neutral supporter you shake your head. The AFL has refused to act against West Coast, Selwood, Thomas etc; maybe they'll do something now that Richmond's caught on.

Yup i know our capt, (Joel) gets the frees for high tackles. "Prob" the only one in our side, anyway i digress (sorta) the eags on the other had have a gazillion of them shuey, selwood (both of em) priddis, hams, etc etc. My bigger question is this. If they are getting paid (as they have been for the past say 2years), and a team is clever enough to continue doing it, who are the fools?, the 17 teams who refuse to get the extra advantage, or the team that gets the advantage. As we know any advantage ya can get ya tend to exploit, no matter what it is?

Bump.

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/west-coast-free-kick-stats-reveal-huge-home-ground-advantage/story-fni5faul-1227383490467

West coast are +349 in the past 5 years, 240 ahead of the next highest team. What a joke.

Better check this years numbers before you advocate too much change.

Mrs Cox's little boy Dean's technique was to get in front at throw ins extended his arms backwards around the ruckman behind & as that ruckman tried to untangle himself Dean got umpteen free kicks for being manhandled.. Dean is now Weagles ruck coach & he has passed this onto Sinclair. New head down interpretation in this week so lets see our Weagles & The Whingers handled that today.