Welcome Tyler Sonsie | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Tyler Sonsie

Who knows what goes through the mind of a Kid. maybe perceived pressure?
My son had talent was in the local AFL u15 squad..one day he just comes out and says i am no good at footy. his form dropped off. until he played in a reserves match against men. He got BOG. I asked him how come he played so well? his answer, there is no pressure playing in the Ressies. I just want to have fun. sometimes kids with talent are crippled by the expectations.
Sonsie has the Talent...he needs to be allowed to mentally grow into his talent.
Too true. The same just occurred with my nephew, although this was in soccer. A very talented and athletic kid with a bright future at his chosen sport, until about 6 months ago he decided he wasn't interested any more. He doesn't enjoy it any more (or for the previous 2 years) and he said that, in the end, he was only doing it so as not to disappoint his mum.

I'll just add that he has played at representative level for most of the time he has played and the pressure on these kids is ridiculous.

Reactions: 4 users
For the junior watchers. When Sonsie was being touted as a potential #1 pick, what was JHF doing at the time? Did JHF take a few steps up, or was Sonsie always as good? I know it's harder to compare 17yos especially during the covid affected years, but it seems odd he could slip to 23.

Alternatively we could claim that being a mad Tigers supporter in a mad Tigers family, we coached him to drop his performance and tank interviews so that we could pick him up with a later pick.
Firstly he had a really bad ankle injury.
Second with Vic being in lockdown it affected kids differently.
Thirdly he played at Eastern Ranges and they are awful. Was their only good player and all the defensive planning of the opposition was in stopping Stonsie.

Reactions: 5 users
For the junior watchers. When Sonsie was being touted as a potential #1 pick, what was JHF doing at the time? Did JHF take a few steps up, or was Sonsie always as good? I know it's harder to compare 17yos especially during the covid affected years, but it seems odd he could slip to 23.

Alternatively we could claim that being a mad Tigers supporter in a mad Tigers family, we coached him to drop his performance and tank interviews so that we could pick him up with a later pick.
Sonsie was never in front of Nick Daicos at least.

With Graham and Lambert out he might well play. As Niko points out, not that hard to be in front of the other potential onballers.

Too true. The same just occurred with my nephew, although this was in soccer. A very talented and athletic kid with a bright future at his chosen sport, until about 6 months ago he decided he wasn't interested any more. He doesn't enjoy it any more (or for the previous 2 years) and he said that, in the end, he was only doing it so as not to disappoint his mum.

I'll just add that he has played at representative level for most of the time he has played and the pressure on these kids is ridiculous.
Elite junior sport sounds awesome but it is hard work and a constant cycle of trialing to make certain squads/teams and for young immature kids this is really hard emotionally on them. Add in the psycho sports parents which is 75% of them and some of these kids are going to struggle. My son is in an NAB u16 program. Great level of coaching but it is stressful. My most common thing I say to him is “have fun” before training and “did you have fun” afterwards. The fun or pure enjoyment is being sucked right out of it.

Reactions: 11 users
Elite junior sport sounds awesome but it is hard work and a constant cycle of trialing to make certain squads/teams and for young immature kids this is really hard emotionally on them. Add in the psycho sports parents which is 75% of them and some of these kids are going to struggle. My son is in an NAB u16 program. Great level of coaching but it is stressful. My most common thing I say to him is “have fun” before training and “did you have fun” afterwards. The fun or pure enjoyment is being sucked right out of it.
Great advice Ghost. I have a background in soccer (sort of how my nephew got into it) and I have coached for many years, at varying levels. In the end I 'opted out' of coaching at that level for much the same reasons. The most enjoyable season I had coaching was when I coached my son's team, U16 in the what was basically 3rd division. It was a bunch of boys who either knew each other from school or the local area and got along really well and just enjoyed themselves immensely. We had a ball, pardon the pun.

Reactions: 3 users
Sonsie possesses enviable tranquillity with ball in hand, and balance when kicking with foot, but also has a hardened edge around the contest which will serve him well at AFL level.
The 2021 draftee runs natural midfield patterns, finding himself in the right spot more often than not, either winning the ball himself, or providing support for his teammates.

Nice work Manfred. Bodes well.

Reactions: 2 users
Great advice Ghost. I have a background in soccer (sort of how my nephew got into it) and I have coached for many years, at varying levels. In the end I 'opted out' of coaching at that level for much the same reasons. The most enjoyable season I had coaching was when I coached my son's team, U16 in the what was basically 3rd division. It was a bunch of boys who either knew each other from school or the local area and got along really well and just enjoyed themselves immensely. We had a ball, pardon the pun.
I have 2 nephews (sons of my cousin's)

Both boys were good at soccer but never made it to Ais level due to certain factions that controlled junior soccer in this country
their names are Ahmet & Ersan , Ahmet was the better midfielder / striker and the kid was just magic on the pitch and so hard to stop. Ersan was a defender and i was doubtful he would make it.

Both boys went to Turkey as 17 year olds to try their luck , Both got into 2nd division clubs and then selected to superleague 1st division clubs.

Ahmet the more talented gave it up after 2 years and returned home saying he missed australia and his girlfriend here and become a electrician ( What could have been ) lucas Niell actuall went to his home to try to convince him to continue as he and Harry kewell were both playing for Galatasaray at the time but couldnt change his mind.

Ersan ended up playing 8 years at Besiktas and later went to a chinese club for a sh!t load of cash and is now considered a star in turkey and cant walk down the street without being asked for autographs

The more talented player didnt have the determination but the less talented had the work ethic and determination

Reactions: 13 users

Hm, I'm not too sure about this 'having fun' philosophy. Young men perform at their best when they're devoid of all things positive. Surely elite sport requires obsessive dedication and a robotic mindset that can be upgraded with new software at a coach's whim?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
I've coached at the elite junior level for a few years, including a few of our players. Some very good points here in the recent posts.

You get your unicorn players such as Matt Rowell who loves absolutely every single facet of footy, but then you get players who are gifted but dont love it, and then even more who love it but arent good enough to make the grade. How certainly noticed a shift in the last decade in how players are coached, with more focus on enjoying the process of what they are doing vs being fixated on the scoreboard, and this is something ive observed at all levels from AFL, to VFL to NAB League.

Reactions: 12 users
I have 2 nephews (sons of my cousin's)

Both boys were good at soccer but never made it to Ais level due to certain factions that controlled junior soccer in this country
their names are Ahmet & Ersan , Ahmet was the better midfielder / striker and the kid was just magic on the pitch and so hard to stop. Ersan was a defender and i was doubtful he would make it.

Both boys went to Turkey as 17 year olds to try their luck , Both got into 2nd division clubs and then selected to superleague 1st division clubs.

Ahmet the more talented gave it up after 2 years and returned home saying he missed australia and his girlfriend here and become a electrician ( What could have been ) lucas Niell actuall went to his home to try to convince him to continue as he and Harry kewell were both playing for Galatasaray at the time but couldnt change his mind.

Ersan ended up playing 8 years at Besiktas and later went to a chinese club for a sh!t load of cash and is now considered a star in turkey and cant walk down the street without being asked for autographs

The more talented player didnt have the determination but the less talented had the work ethic and determination
Hard work beats talent every time

Reactions: 1 user
Dimma said this on the latest episode of Talking Tigers:

"what i love about this kid, (Sonsie), is that he just found it 27 times on the weekend , he has some work to do on his fitness but one thing you can't teach a player is how to win the ball". :clap2

• Love
Reactions: 14 users

"what i love about this kid, (Sonsie), is that he just found it 27 times on the weekend , he has some work to do on his fitness but one thing you can't teach a player is how to win the ball". :clap2

Is he a smokie for round 1 and if so, when was the last time we had 2 first year players debut in round 1 - assuming Gibcus plays.

Is he a smokie for round 1
I was surprised he didn't play against Hawthorn given his showing against the Cats.

By all accounts he went nicely in the Box Hill game. Was he getting a little spell given his apparent lack of fitness?

I'd pick him to play a Graham-like extractor role, all day every day.
when was the last time we had 2 first year players debut in round 1
If only @LeeToRainesToRoach's precious database could speak.

Reactions: 1 user

I dont want to put the mockers on this lad but I am very excited by what he can offer. Just quietly havent been so rapt with a draft pick since Dusty.

Reactions: 3 users
Prepared to wait for Sonsie to debut until he is fully fit
Once he has proven both by form and fitness he has demonstrated in the vfl he will most likely contribute at senior level, what role will he play? Does he fill in an injured player's vacancy, or does Dimma just fit him in and play him to his strengths and make some tactical adjustments?