Welcome Tyler Sonsie | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Tyler Sonsie

Jack I don’t think he has an issue with finding targets. He was finding them at will last week during the intra club. His issue right now is consistency & fatigue. The kid didn’t start a proper preseason until mid January.

This is a fine point, SA. But I think we might agree that Sonsie was ok with hitting targets in the intraclub. And that he was surprising in missing them in the praccy.

I'm saying that we have limited evidence and that it is contradictory atm. I'm not saying that the Sonsie disposal thing is a myth. Just that he missed a lot of targets last week.

To express this in my native tongue, Boganese - can this Kant kick or is it a *smile* rumour?

Because of our recent recruiting history I am habitually bearish. (Maybe I would be anyway.)

Reactions: 2 users
This is a fine point, SA. But I think we might agree that Sonsie was ok with hitting targets in the intraclub. And that he was surprising in missing them in the praccy.

I'm saying that we have limited evidence and that it is contradictory atm. I'm not saying that the Sonsie disposal thing is a myth. Just that he missed a lot of targets last week.

To express this in my native tongue, Boganese - can this Kant kick or is it a *smile* rumour?

Because of our recent recruiting history I am habitually bearish. (Maybe I would be anyway.)

Just revisiting draft central kicking does not seem to be an issue going by the below quote, although Judson Clarke may be a better dual sided player :) ;) .

"Sonsie is arguably the most dual-sided player in the draft, capable of kicking competently on either foot"

Weaknesses/Improvements were listed as gut running and consistency, the former could affect the later?

Anyway his first pre-season with us has been very limited, he was basically doing nothing pre-christmas due to leg/foot injury, even in January he was doing limited running and virtually no kicking so I reckon it was more likely a foot injury so it has really been a slowly slowly approach with him. I were actually surprised that they deemed Sonsie had enough prep. under his belt to play the intra-club.
That Sonz showed what he did both in intra and practice game has me excited for what's to come but it may require more conditioning before he is in the selection frame?

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I did some U18 form, caesar and saw good things in the intra club. I am not predicting.

I don't want to hit the point too hard.

Gibcus was very smart with the ball yesterday. True. Brown was very smart with the ball yesterday. True. Sonsie was very smart with the ball yesterday. False.

Let's see that happens next week.

Reactions: 1 users
Coming off a reduced pre-season a first year player would hardly be expecting to make the team, at least not a team that has the number of experienced premiership players as ours.

Let him develop, we don't need to be throwing young players in early. Give them some time in the VFL, develop fitness, get used to the higher level, then give them a game here and there for some experience at the top end. Get them ready and then unleash.

Sounds like Sonsie is a great prospect, but that doesn't make him an AFL level player now, give him some time and experience.

DS

Reactions: 4 users
For the junior watchers. When Sonsie was being touted as a potential #1 pick, what was JHF doing at the time? Did JHF take a few steps up, or was Sonsie always as good? I know it's harder to compare 17yos especially during the covid affected years, but it seems odd he could slip to 23.

Alternatively we could claim that being a mad Tigers supporter in a mad Tigers family, we coached him to drop his performance and tank interviews so that we could pick him up with a later pick.

Coming off a reduced pre-season a first year player would hardly be expecting to make the team, at least not a team that has the number of experienced premiership players as ours.

Let him develop, we don't need to be throwing young players in early. Give them some time in the VFL, develop fitness, get used to the higher level, then give them a game here and there for some experience at the top end. Get them ready and then unleash.

Sounds like Sonsie is a great prospect, but that doesn't make him an AFL level player now, give him some time and experience.

DS
Very good points. We must remember these kids have missed a lot of footy compared to boys drafted two years ago. If any of them play senior football this year it would be a terrific achievement. Early signs do look good but we can't expect too much this year I wouldn't of thought.

has 2 years to build a decent tank to play at the highest level. Would fatigue in 40min of AGL footy at this stage. Patience.

Not if everyone is fully fit. But they have the mileage in the legs. The tempo raises ten fold when its for premiership points. Sonsie needs mileage in his legs.

this is true, its also true that in comparison the others lack the talent

Reactions: 1 user
Limited pre season just want to see him get some fitness in the 2nds maybe a debut second half of season if he deserves the chance

For the junior watchers. When Sonsie was being touted as a potential #1 pick, what was JHF doing at the time? Did JHF take a few steps up, or was Sonsie always as good? I know it's harder to compare 17yos especially during the covid affected years, but it seems odd he could slip to 23.

Alternatively we could claim that being a mad Tigers supporter in a mad Tigers family, we coached him to drop his performance and tank interviews so that we could pick him up with a later pick.
A mate from up Warburton way knows the family, and says he was a junior star out in the east. Won all team B&F’s and lots of league medals as well.

Great duel sided player who lots say plays like Cotchin…but my mate says he looks/runs more like a young Ackermanis to him and is very happy we grabbed him.

Reactions: 7 users
has 2 years to build a decent tank to play at the highest level. Would fatigue in 40min of AGL footy at this stage. Patience.
You suggesting he’d run out of gas?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Jack I don’t think he has an issue with finding targets. He was finding them at will last week during the intra club. His issue right now is consistency & fatigue. The kid didn’t start a proper preseason until mid January.
Spot on,like most of our list last year Jan start pre season means more fatigue which will show out with more mistakes,we have a very talented kid whom if only playing vfl is a huge step up, remembering he barely has played a full season since he was 15-16 years old.

I did some U18 form, caesar and saw good things in the intra club. I am not predicting.

Gibcus was very smart with the ball yesterday. True. Brown was very smart with the ball yesterday. True. Sonsie was very smart with the ball yesterday. False.

Arthur's positioning was innately good. Very very high footy IQ. Similarly with the Brown Boy. The Brown was also very clean as was Jibcus. Arthur was however also playing in the guts....but lacks the required conditioning. No preseason or indeed any serious football for a long time. His ball use clearly suffered as a result of this fatigue.

He is one of our rare shining lights coming through Jack! A potential future AA IMHO.

Who knows what goes through the mind of a Kid. maybe perceived pressure?
My son had talent was in the local AFL u15 squad..one day he just comes out and says i am no good at footy. his form dropped off. until he played in a reserves match against men. He got BOG. I asked him how come he played so well? his answer, there is no pressure playing in the Ressies. I just want to have fun. sometimes kids with talent are crippled by the expectations.
Sonsie has the Talent...he needs to be allowed to mentally grow into his talent.

Reactions: 3 users