Welcome Tom Brown | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Tom Brown

Reminds me of Joel Bowden
Joel Bowden was laconic but had elite football I.Q.
Also from an era where athleticism wasn’t at such a premium.
Brown looks similar and makes good decisions but I don’t see the speed or endurance to make the contest as a 3rd up. I also see his man running off him at will.
I’d like to see him forward of the ball and replaced by Trezise.

Reactions: 1 users
Joel Bowden was laconic but had elite football I.Q.
Also from an era where athleticism wasn’t at such a premium.
Brown looks similar and makes good decisions but I don’t see the speed or endurance to make the contest as a 3rd up. I also see his man running off him at will.
I’d like to see him forward of the ball and replaced by Trezise.
I think Brown has some wheels and a leap, really athletic traits. Don't think he has really used them yet.

He lacks the Vlas committment. Although not many have that.

Reactions: 3 users
I think Brown has some wheels and a leap, really athletic traits. Don't think he has really used them yet.

He lacks the Vlas committment. Although not many have that.
Defiantly has wheels and athletically gifted his commitment to tackle has been an issue since he sub luxed his shoulder half way through the year. But you can hardly shoot a kid for not wanting his shoulder to pop out every week

Reactions: 1 users
When I see a bunch of first 30 draft picks all 3 or 4 years into the AFL system 'still playing like first years and afraid of contact' I don't blame the individuals.

The common demoninator is the club. Is it poor on field leadership? (Not sure as Nank certainly isn't afraid of contact). Is it poor coaching? Poor development?

Either way, I doubt it's just luck and poor recruitment that we landed kids who've developed the way they have.

When I see a bunch of first 30 draft picks all 3 or 4 years into the AFL system 'still playing like first years and afraid of contact' I don't blame the individuals.

The common demoninator is the club. Is it poor on field leadership? (Not sure as Nank certainly isn't afraid of contact). Is it poor coaching? Poor development?

Either way, I doubt it's just luck and poor recruitment that we landed kids who've developed the way they have.
If they're timid and shirk contact or can't gut run at junior level it will be worse at senior level. It's a quality the recruiters need to identify.

Reactions: 1 user

I reckon a few on here, myself included, would dispute the idea that "a bunch" of our top 30 picks are 'still playing like first years and afraid of contact'.
First Gibcus never looked afraid.
Second I dont think we can rate Clarke- skinny yes, but dont think he showed he was scared.
Neither Brown nor Banks show Cotchin-like attack at the ball, but both go when it is their turn and both have put their bodies in harms way plenty.
Sonsie- maybe!

And they are halfway through their 3rd year in the AFL system.

Reactions: 5 users
I reckon a few on here, myself included, would dispute the idea that "a bunch" of our top 30 picks are 'still playing like first years and afraid of contact'.
First Gibcus never looked afraid.
Second I dont think we can rate Clarke- skinny yes, but dont think he showed he was scared.
Neither Brown nor Banks show Cotchin-like attack at the ball, but both go when it is their turn and both have put their bodies in harms way plenty.
Sonsie- maybe!

And they are halfway through their 3rd year in the AFL system.
Can probably also factor in the lost development time prior to being drafted due to COVID lockdowns

15 games and 16 tackles. In a backline got bombed weekly.

Shows effort. Shows lack of body contact.

One word competitiveness.

Banged on about it forever.

We went away from it this draft prioritising kicking and athleticism.

reckon that first box must ALWAYS be ticked offf before you look at anything else.

Only really Gibcus instinctively had it, the rest it's not 100% natural.

And it's the hardest thing to teach.

That was our mistake.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
One word competitiveness.

Banged on about it forever.

We went away from it this draft prioritising kicking and athleticism.

But that first box must ALWAYS be ticked offf before you look at anything else.

Only really Gibcus instinctively had it, the rest it's not 100% natural.

And it's the hardest thing to teach.

That was our mistake.
Absolutely spot on.
Was confirmed by both Clarke and Dimma that we prioritised kicking and athleticism.

Reactions: 3 users
*Sigh* No cause nobody is questioning his effort or competitiveness, now or never.

Not linked at all, the longest of bows. Strange reference point.
Sorry, i thought you said Browns tackling numbers showed effort and lack of body contact.
I thought the same would apply to Broad, who's tackle numbers are similar.

Did you actually read my post lol.
You quoted his tackle numbers and suggested they show a lack of effort and a dislike of body contact. What am I missing?

I certainly wouldn't suggest Broad lacks effort or dislikes body contact but his tackle numbers aren't much higher than Browns.