Welcome Tom Brown | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Tom Brown

We just got absolutely flogged. Let's have a look at Kaleb Smith or James Trezise. Rotate these kids through.

I don't mind that approach but I don't see why that means Brown is out. His formline was ok, had a bit of a downer at the weekend (not unheard of with young kids), but we need to get him more involved not less. The one area we need to be targeting from him is handball receives and the UP that provides. Only had 4 UP's at the weekend (thats the worst he's had) but he still had 6 CP's which is fine for his role, just didn't get involved in transition the way we'd like him too. The aim must be to have between 10-15 UP's per game. That will help with DE and allow him to use that kicking ability to our advantage.

Personally I'd like to see Smith play this week and we "rest" Short off a 6 day break. Ooze suggested that more than just Dusty would be rested over the coming weeks, Short is 1 of our older players so makes sense to leave him out, and allow those cheap possessions in the back half to be accumulated by Brown and Smith instead.

Reactions: 6 users
I don't mind that approach but I don't see why that means Brown is out. His formline was ok, had a bit of a downer at the weekend (not unheard of with young kids), but we need to get him more involved not less. The one area we need to be targeting from him is handball receives and the UP that provides. Only had 4 UP's at the weekend (thats the worst he's had) but he still had 6 CP's which is fine for his role, just didn't get involved in transition the way we'd like him too. The aim must be to have between 10-15 UP's per game. That will help with DE and allow him to use that kicking ability to our advantage.

Personally I'd like to see Smith play this week and we "rest" Short off a 6 day break. Ooze suggested that more than just Dusty would be rested over the coming weeks, Short is 1 of our older players so makes sense to leave him out, and allow those cheap possessions in the back half to be accumulated by Brown and Smith instead.
In fairness, Brown was very ordinary against Hawthorn the week before.
I’d rest him and bring in Trezise to see what he can do.
You can’t carry young players out of form forever but Brown is definitely not the first one I’d drop

Reactions: 2 users
Don't mind that but am mindful of playing too many kids at once is all.

Brown does some great stuff. Kicking. Marking. Haircut. He has the tools.

But he needs to do the great stuff more often, and make the fundamentals a non-negotiable part of his game. (Actually, you could probably say the same for Bauer).

Essentially he needs to win more ball, and leak fewer goals.

He's had a pretty good chance to work on that at AFL level this season. Whether he stays in the seniors or continues the apprenticeship back in the 2's will have a lot to do with the relative formlines of Bauer and Tresize. Especially Tresize.

Reactions: 4 users
Brown does some great stuff. Kicking. Marking. Haircut. He has the tools.

But he needs to do the great stuff more often, and make the fundamentals a non-negotiable part of his game. (Actually, you could probably say the same for Bauer).

Essentially he needs to win more ball, and leak fewer goals.

He's had a pretty good chance to work on that at AFL level this season. Whether he stays in the seniors or continues the apprenticeship back in the 2's will have a lot to do with the relative formlines of Bauer and Tresize. Especially Tresize.
Tresize needs to work on his disposal by foot. It is pretty rugged. However he does have an appetite for the contest.

Reactions: 1 user
How does it hurt us to play Brown on ball at reserve level to run him into some ball winning? Get him used to getting it. That’s really his big weakness atm. He doesn’t get the ball. At half back.

Athletically he profiles like Heath Chapman who can get leather poisoning when he’s allowed to play loose. At the very least I think we could give Brown total licence to roll the dice for a month. Possibly at VFL level then up.

Reactions: 4 users
Tresize needs to work on his disposal by foot. It is pretty rugged. However he does have an appetite for the contest.

Yep, very true.

Question for the short term is, do we play a butcher who finds the ball, or a surgeon who doesn't?

Better question is, what's the best environment for either of them to overcome their deficiencies? The answer is probably VFL under the no-nonsense tutelage of Steve Morris for both of them, but assuming you want to keep one in the seniors, I think there's benefit in getting Tresize in a for a few weeks, even if it's only to keep him in touch with the pace of the game.

Reactions: 2 users
Yep, very true.

Question for the short term is, do we play a butcher who finds the ball, or a surgeon who doesn't?

Better question is, what's the best environment for either of them to overcome their deficiencies? The answer is probably VFL under the no-nonsense tutelage of Steve Morris for both of them, but assuming you want to keep one in the seniors, I think there's benefit in getting Tresize in a for a few weeks, even if it's only to keep him in touch with the pace of the game.
It's a good question. I have no idea, but I look forward to seeing what Trezise can do at AFL level.

Yep, very true.

The problem is when pressure increases/time decreases (big games tend to create this) your surgeons can pretty quickly become butchers.

I query Brown's tank, usually if you are playing HBF and have a tank you can't help but find the pill. I think the idea of playing onball at VFL level has merit.

Many on here thought Brown should been the rising star against the Crows- that was 3 games ago. Now people want him dropped.

On his disposals count- he wins the ball back as well as almost anyone on our team, and he doesnt tend to lose contests. but yes he doesnt get many easy kicks. but we dont appear to try to get him those kicks. he never takes kick outs, and he never provides the short option for the kick out- almost always Miller.
It was noticeable earlier in the year after he got a bit of press that opponents were working to stop him get easy possessions. Not sure if that is the case.

Fatigue might be an issue as he is missing more kicks than he was, but i reckon he will continue to work through.

Reactions: 3 users
I’m guessing he’s been told to work on his defensive side and close check his opponent more , hopefully backs himself and gets a bit more half back easy ball for rest of season

Many on here thought Brown should been the rising star against the Crows- that was 3 games ago. Now people want him dropped.

On his disposals count- he wins the ball back as well as almost anyone on our team, and he doesnt tend to lose contests. but yes he doesnt get many easy kicks. but we dont appear to try to get him those kicks. he never takes kick outs, and he never provides the short option for the kick out- almost always Miller.
It was noticeable earlier in the year after he got a bit of press that opponents were working to stop him get easy possessions. Not sure if that is the case.

Fatigue might be an issue as he is missing more kicks than he was, but i reckon he will continue to work through.
Geez that's a coke bottle sized rose coloured glasses view.

Opposition teams are now tagging Brown? And he doesn't tend to lose contests?

There’s a real love affair going on for some on here with Brown.
Seduced by his smooth kicking action and aroused by his composure. I get it, it’s attractive.
But he doesn’t get the ball and I personally reckon he doesn’t like body contact.
Trezise, on the other hand, initiates body contact, rarely loses one on ones but looks scrappy.
Think some on here are willing Brown over the line atm but there doesn’t seem to be nearly the same enthusiasm for Trezise

Reactions: 6 users

Lost 1 of 10 contested defensive losses all season. I think where he loses them is when he is out of position, he learns that through playing.

What he needs to get are more handball receives coming out of the backline, we need that overlap run to stop us from having to just blindly lump the ball down the line like we currently do when exiting defensive 50, and thats a massive opportunity for us to get him involved in those chains. That part of it might be better to learn in the 2's, not sure, but the positioning relating to your original point is fine to be learnt in the AFL.

Lost 1 of 10 contested defensive losses all season. I think where he loses them is when he is out of position, he learns that through playing.

What he needs to get are more handball receives coming out of the backline, we need that overlap run to stop us from having to just blindly lump the ball down the line like we currently do when exiting defensive 50, and thats a massive opportunity for us to get him involved in those chains. That part of it might be better to learn in the 2's, not sure, but the positioning relating to your original point is fine to be learnt in the AFL.
So he's a competitive beast?

Would love to see how they measure those things - he was outbodied and outmarked by midget Watson of the Hawks during that game. Are you saying that is his only contested loss all season?

In that same game he fumbled a ground ball that resulted in a turnover and a score. Not sure where that gets recorded?

His lack of urgency is stark to me, often trailing his opponents and arriving too late.

He has some super athletic gifts but IMO isn't using them - either to affect more contests or get more of the ball. Whether that is desire/understanding or ability to read the play or soemthing else I don't know. But I think he is one whose rep is preceeding his output and impact, simply becuase he looks like a footballer and can kick it well at times.

So he's a competitive beast?

Would love to see how they measure those things - he was outbodied and outmarked by midget Watson of the Hawks during that game. Are you saying that is his only contested loss all season?

In that same game he fumbled a ground ball that resulted in a turnover and a score. Not sure where that gets recorded?

His lack of urgency is stark to me, often trailing his opponents and arriving too late.

He has some super athletic gifts but IMO isn't using them - either to affect more contests or get more of the ball. Whether that is desire/understanding or ability to read the play or soemthing else I don't know. But I think he is one whose rep is preceeding his output and impact, simply becuase he looks like a footballer and can kick it well at times.

Who said anything about a competitive beast? Talk about hyperbole.

I got the stats from the AFL website. That 1 you mention with Watson was a excellent mark, in fact both had probably pushed themselves under the ball as Watson marked it on its way back down as it came down over his head.

I think his positioning isn't quite where he needs it to be, but playing with Broad and Vlastuin should continue to help him get his positioning better.

No-ones saying he's outstanding at the moment, more that we should persevere and work on those areas (like handball receives) in the AFL team.

When are you going to get it into that think skull of yours that we were never going to take Max Holmes? Noone got angry

If you look at all the draft predictions for that draft he was nowhere

This is what Cal Twomey said, he had him at 23

There's always room for a smokey. Holmes would be a genuine surprising inclusion in the top-30, but it is not beyond the realms.

we grabbed a few somkeys early over the years ............ JON, C Ellis, Conca