Welcome to Tigerland - Tim Taranto | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Tigerland - Tim Taranto

Agree. Just hurts more seeing your former club in the top 4 and finals.
Ok, so Dimma dumped the club ... and them. The other major aspect people are leaving out of the equation is three of our very best (and very few) top players are wanting out. Four if you add Graham.

Did they know or expect that would come about as well?

The common denominator to all this is the appointment of Yze as coach, after us losing the natural heir apparents in MCrae and/or Kingsley due to Dimma's thoughtless timing for his own best interest primarily. Then McQualter missing out, who the players seemed keen on. Plus Benny jumping on the Tassie bandwagon with JR8 and whoever else.

You can't blame them totally for all this. [It certainly has left me wondering and not at all happy]

Reactions: 6 users
He sounded as flat as most of the fans are. I feel a bit for him, he doesn't have the past successes to fall back on. He probably knows it will get worse for at least two years even if we nail the draft picks.

Reactions: 7 users
Not that they have said it, but if they are upset about our situation, I would ask Taranto and Hopper whether it's a coincidence that GWS got better when they left and we got worse when they came here.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
He sounded as flat as most of the fans are. I feel a bit for him, he doesn't have the past successes to fall back on. He probably knows it will get worse for at least two years even if we nail the draft picks.
12 months only coaching a complete and utter train wreck, not of his making and you are still banging on about him as the cause for some players jumping ship 😡

Hardwick fuc}%*ed the club and his relentless pursuit of Rioli is just another example of how this guy dances to his paymaster - in this case the bloody AFL.

The recruiting post 2020 has been appalling and arrogant no doubt led by Hardwick’s misguided belief we as a side were premiership material without responding to the changing nature of the game.

Senior performers and administrators at the club have left and are leaving and ALL OF THEM dropped the ball in planning correctly for continued on field success!!!

I’m backing our coach because we have not seen the best of him yet, because he was dealt a *smile* hand in 2024.

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Not that they have said it, but if they are upset about our situation, I would ask Taranto and Hopper whether it's a coincidence that GWS got better when they left and we got worse when they came here.
It's actually one of Yze's biggest challenges.
Fine for the young talent coming through but the word 'rebuild' is not an attractive one for players who are at the back end of their career.
We've just seen 4 of our best 25yr + players decide that it's not for them. Others might well be thinking the same thing..

Adem has got to find a way to keep the older players engaged.
If he can't then we're in for a lot of shellackings & he may not survive by when the time comes around in 5 years when we are ready to compete again.
So it's all well & good to bring some speculative youth through the door but without mentors providing leadership, culture building, development & direction, then all that we've built can disappear pretty fast.

It's a balance our snr coach & his footy dept. has got to strike..

Reactions: 6 users
It's a balance our snr coach & his footy dept. has got to strike..
true. and harder for guys like Taranto and Hopper who haven't been around RFC that long.

I watched the interview, it's not a great one by TT. He looks and sounds like he doesn't
want to be there. Talks leadership, but not sounding like a leader.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm surprised there hasn't been at least some trade speculation for Hopper and Taranto - they are a poor fit for us now - unless they are hyper motivated to go through a rebuild which would take unusual strength of character for players coming in under those circumstances.

I haven’t seen much of the interview but is everyone jumping the gun a little ?

It might be his personality to interview that way.

I would find it odd for someone to sulk so to speak in an interview etc

He is on good coin & wasn’t it reported it was he trying to lead the charge for the coming years with the new breed coming through ?

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

He is on good coin & wasn’t it reported it was he trying to lead the charge for the coming years with the new breed coming through ?
I've heard 3-4 Interviews with him, this one sounds different - maybe he's trying to come across as serious, but that's not how it sounds

It does seem to have a different tone to it than usual. Less spritely than the interview where he mentioned he was trying to convince the players to stay and sell the dream to the others and was excited about what we were building.
But it still also could be due to anything. He might of had a bad day. He may of not felt like doing media now the years over.
He might not like doing sit down interviews. Im sure there was nothing to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Haven't watched it yet. But when the title of the video on the RFC Website says "I'm looking forward to some improvements next year", I'm assuming he's talking about his disposal?

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
They could counter by asking how many grand finals GWS has played in since they left. Taranto won their B&F the year the made the GF (Hopper was third), and was their best player on the day.

There was no spin in that interview which I’m fine with. Came across as very honest and slightly sheepish that he was even critical. Made some excellent points about midfield continuity.

So get off his back. I’m sure he will be setting the running standards this year as we aim to get AFL fitness across our whole list again.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 10 users
on what? having an opinion?

nobody is slaughtering the guy Frenchy , it's just not the greatest vibration TT is putting out there, for whatever reason..

So get off his back. I’m sure he will be setting the running standards this year as we aim to get AFL fitness across our whole list again.
nobodys on his back. he does the interview, it gets put up for the world to see..
whether it's an RFC player or anything, people don't have to like it..

Reactions: 2 users
I agree that Taranto and Hopper were sold the notion that we were having one last crack at it, but surely no more than that.

They would have known that following that one last crack that a rebuild/reset, whatever you want to call it was required.
😂 There was never ever going to be another crack with our list. Blair got it all wrong and we lost four picks from it and are now two years behind in a rebuild