Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett!

The NSW/QLD experiment is a failure. And no I'm not narrow-minded (poor comment from you), I have considered all scenarios. The only reason Sydney & Brisbane are faring better is because they already had a strong Victorian following being ex-Victorian clubs. GWS and Gold Coast have virtually zero following after all these years, I don't see how that grows the game, honestly it's an embarrassment, as many knew it would be. Richmond vs GWS grand final, GWS tickets were allocated to Tigers due to lack of demand. TAS will fare much better as they will have an organic, real following. As I said growth isn't necessary a good thing if it's being propped up with no return. AFL will never die and will never be overtaken by NFL in the AFL states. It's an uninteresting one-dimensional sport in comparison. Crowds are as strong as ever and it's not coming from NSW/QLD growth. One team in those states was plenty. SA and WA different argument, they are AFL states and can support 2 teams and made sense. Less teams induces a better spectacle, better players on average in each team. Creates growth but not by expansion of the competition. Agree to disagree. It is what it is.
Always a two or three generation build not a half gen waft. Only way for AFL n Aussie rules to survive as a genuine premium competition is to have at least two teams in each of the major states, should ideally probably have been a couple more Vic teams that got trans shipped rather than having to create two entire new teams one after the other. But without a full national comp, Aussie rules would soon have got relegated to the third string game in the country. Crowds at grounds aren't the big money spinners of the competitions, it's arse holes sitting in front of the T.V. sucking up all the advertising that generates the shekels.

Reactions: 1 user
Always a two or three generation build not a half gen waft. Only way for AFL n Aussie rules to survive as a genuine premium competition is to have at least two teams in each of the major states, should ideally probably have been a couple more Vic teams that got trans shipped rather than having to create two entire new teams one after the other. But without a full national comp, Aussie rules would soon have got relegated to the third string game in the country. Crowds at grounds aren't the big money spinners of the competitions, it's arse holes sitting in front of the T.V. sucking up all the advertising that generates the shekels.
Yep - a National competition with 18/19 teams total and 10 from Vic is ludicrous
It's obviously not something anyone would pre-plan - and now it must belatedly evolve away from that distortion

Reactions: 1 users
Firstly, I assume that you are not a very tall person, as usual the point of my post has flown straight over your head.
I'm about four foot eleventy nine tall, not to sure if that's tall or short but it feels about right for me so I guess I'll just have to make do. maybe if ya didn't random chuck *smile* so high I could catch it on the way through.
Secondly, to ensure "that the game will properly survive and thrive" the AFL should be pumping multi-millions of dollars into junior and feeder leagues (by the way, just in case you didn't know - they're not). Instead they are pumping millions into the suits at AFL house.
Well considering that the AFL is pumping millions into Mold Coast n they've just managed to rort four home grown academy kids in one draft for not much. Then I guess some of those millions are going in the right direction.
Funny thing about companies and industries in Oz with billion dollar turnovers, all their manager type people get paid *smile* loads, so no surprise the flogs in suits at AFLHQ all get a fat pay cheque. They're sure as *smile* not gunna be doing them jobs for $27.00 an hour.
Seriously mate - could you try to read and understand someones post before replying. My point was not a whinge about rights or agendas - it was that the AFL are completely disingenuous when they champion these social causes. They don't give a toss about them. They only care about money. And FFS stop using the word competition. It isn't a competition and hasn't been one for a long, long time.
Meh. They're only one of hundreds of corporations that jump all over the social engineering causes because it's politically, socially and financially correct to jump on board all the social justice agendas and steer the good and kind hearted citizens onto the pathways of community righteousness.
O.K. then I'll try not to call it a competition any more just for you. How about if I call it a sporting manipulation then? Would that suit your wishes?

Yep - a National competition with 18/19 teams total and 10 from Vic is ludicrous
It's obviously not something anyone would pre-plan - and now it must belatedly evolve away from that distortion
Could always have been worse. It could have been purely an expansion from the old VFL to AFL without Sth Melb and Fitzroy having been squeezed interstate.
A new Sydaknee and a new Brisvegas instead all those years ago n we'd already have a twenty team sporting manipulation with 14 clubs being based in Vic.

AFL star Marlion Pickett pleads not guilty to stealing more than $380,000 in Perth​

ByRebecca Peppiatt

August 1, 2024 — 12.34pm

Richmond player Marlion Pickett will face trial over allegations he was involved in stealing more than $380,000 in a spate of commercial burglaries across Perth last summer after pleading not guilty on Thursday.
The 32-year-old is facing 12 charges, including stealing, criminal damage to a property and aggravated burglary, after police alleged Pickett and his brother-in-law, along with four other co-accused, targeted businesses in Perth and the northern suburbs of Nollamara, Girrawheen and Beechboro, and the regional town of Beverley, between December 2022 and January 2023, taking money from safes.
Marlion Pickett (centre) outside court in Perth.

Marlion Pickett (centre) outside court in Perth.Credit:AAP
On one occasion, $325,000 was allegedly taken from a currency exchange.
After Pickett was charged, prosecutors alleged he was tied to the crimes because his phone “pinged” near one of the burglary locations at the time the offence was being committed.

It was also alleged a campervan that was used to transfer some money interstate was rented in his name, and that he purchased clothing worn by the offenders.
Pickett then allegedly received payments of $6000 and $9000 into his bank account.
During his bail application last year, Pickett’s defence lawyer David Manera said the case against his client was weak.
Since then, Pickett has not made any appearances at court in person, and on Thursday his lawyer formally entered his pleas of not guilty to all of the charges on his behalf.
The matters will now proceed to the Perth District Court and be prepared for a trial.

Pickett has been given special bail conditions that allow him to continue his interstate football commitments. He has been supported by the club.
He was selected by Richmond in the 2019 mid-season draft and made his debut in the 2019 grand final, becoming a premiership player and Richmond life member after just one game. He has now played 90 games.
His matter will next be heard Perth District Court on October 11.

Just noticed in the Hun that Marlion has been back home on personal leave as his father has passed away. Commiserations to the Foosh n his family on their loss.
Hoping to see him back next year.

• Sad
Reactions: 23 users
Retiring. Great career Pickett, plenty of highlights. So much for the 'must get him to 100 games at any cost' hoo ha.

Reactions: 4 users
Congratulations Marlion on your AFL career with the Tigers. Your Grand Final debut was a massive thrill for me, I'll never forget the blind turn and Dusty hitting you up for your first goal.

All the best to you and your family.

Reactions: 12 users
I personally think a year too early… still a solid depth/injury coverage player… limited, but man was he hard as a cats head!

Reactions: 15 users
Great football story. Will never forget that roar and emotion being at the ground in 2019GF. Couldn’t have been scripted any better. Thanks Fish.

Reactions: 5 users
Thanks for the memories Marlion. The blind turn in the 19 GF is one of my favourite of all time, I thought I was hallucinating. Yes, incredible story. Would only have ever happened at the Tigers.

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
Incredible story. Apart from all the playing stuff I hope he is ok and from here on things work out for him.

Reactions: 6 users
A Tigerland fairy tale.

Marlion added steel to our dynasty and made some of our greats better.

He will endure as one of my all time favourite tigers

The GF pirouette on debut, the magic in slow motion, is folklore

but I also wont ever forget the sound of his three-step, ribcage crunch.

thanks Marlion and all the very best.

• Love
Reactions: 20 users
What a recruit Marlion has been. Been a fantastic premiership player

Wish Marlion and his family all the best