Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett!

You can bookmark it Pickett finishes on 98 or 99n games and his kids all become guns for the Doickers,,,,,
I see us giving Pickett another year and come draft year his eldest has to choose between his two loves AFL and synchronised swimming and chooses the latter.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
In pre-season he was leading the 1-4 year players. At every training session with a key focus to teach and show. I think he very much has a role in "leading" the young kids.
Was Dow part of 1-4 year players? I don't think he was listening during defence tactics 101 sessions.

• Haha
In pre-season he was leading the 1-4 year players. At every training session with a key focus to teach and show. I think he very much has a role in "leading" the young kids.
They’ve all come on in leaps and bounds ;) In all seriousness , there’s no doubt he is a good and popular club man , I’m just no longer convinced we need Marlion in anyway, we need better

We may as well start giving away Richmond guernseys out of Cornflakes boxes, if we’re going to keep giving them to Marlion each week because there’s a <1% chance some fairytale could come true in half a decade.

His performances are declining, it’s a young man’s game, and it’s a business. Soft-headed sentimental decision-making is exactly why we are in our current mess instead of the broom that should have gone through post-2020.

• Dislike
Reactions: 3 users
We may as well start giving away Richmond guernseys out of Cornflakes boxes, if we’re going to keep giving them to Marlion each week because there’s a <1% chance some fairytale could come true in half a decade.
The story of Marlion Pickett will be spoken by people for ages. More than a fairy tale, it's the stuff of legend! Reckon there are still a few more lines to be told!

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
In a full strength side Marlion is clearly still best 23. He wouldn't be asked to play as a tall forward, or as a medium forward. He would be on his wing or on the ball like he was on debut in the GF, his best positions.

Reactions: 2 users
His performances are declining, it’s a young man’s game, and it’s a business. Soft-headed sentimental decision-making is exactly why we are in our current mess instead of the broom that should have gone through post-2020.
Yep. Should never have carried Shedda n Cotch or even Dusty to 300 games the last couple of years, nor played Jaaack last year. All of these blokes been shuffling along at around 60% of prime capacity during that time n we shoulda punted the lot of them n run the kids. No room for sentiment, just bring out the dunny brush n pine-o-clean. Problems solved.

I can’t buy the Pickett as a forward from anyone , 18 months of nothing proves this , one game where commentators highlighted MP doing a tap on was all we could find as a highlight .
Pickett was never played forward because he was any good there, he was played there because he was the best we had available.

Yep. Should never have carried Shedda n Cotch or even Dusty to 300 games the last couple of years, nor played Jaaack last year. All of these blokes been shuffling along at around 60% of prime capacity during that time n we shoulda punted the lot of them n run the kids. No room for sentiment, just bring out the dunny brush n pine-o-clean. Problems solved.
Username checks out! You clearly prioritise other things over winning games and flags. That’s not a knock - the Richmond Footy Club means different things to different people.

I personally don’t want another 35 years in the footballing wilderness. Quickest way back there is poor/weak decision-making. This can be a 2-year rebuild, or a 20-year one (but hey at least a few more individuals might hit individual milestones). Which one would you prefer?

Pickett was never played forward because he was any good there, he was played there because he was the best we had available.
Our best available was *smile* then Brodders , it’s easy to understand the theory behind it , fact is he wasn’t any good there in any capacity, I agree with his fans , wing is his go and he’s been a superb gut running wingman in a good side , I’d just rather see a Hugo get the games under his belt on a wing now in front of Marlion . Rightly or wrongly I’d only go forward with one of KMac or Marlion and I much prefer KMac .

One things for sure the MP fans are loyal and MP still shows the odd bit of brilliance and why he has many fans , however he also gives his critics plenty to be critical of . For me he’ll always be my favourite “ whipping” boy , brilliant and woeful within a minute , hits an opponent as hard as any , then goes as soft as a junior player , greatest mixed bag of a footballer I’ve ever seen .

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

disagree.

Username checks out! You clearly prioritise other things over winning games and flags. That’s not a knock - the Richmond Footy Club means different things to different people.

I personally don’t want another 35 years in the footballing wilderness. Quickest way back there is poor/weak decision-making. This can be a 2-year rebuild, or a 20-year one (but hey at least a few more individuals might hit individual milestones). Which one would you prefer?
Seeing as I'm an old fart n have already banked watching 8 Tiger flags, I'm beyond being desperate enough to insist we're contending for flags every single season. *smile* like that simply doesn't happen in real life. Do know one thing that's an irrevocable absolute when it comes to sporting clubs and even all walks of life. You simply gotta look after your people properly, so I'm happy that the club has gone about looking after our players that have given us so much enjoyment in recent years.
So what if we're flat lining a bit at the moment, they put in plans and system to get a heart kicker going to reboot n revitalise the team. Unfortunately covid had some unforeseen influence on our 5 early picks strategy in 2021 n AFLHQ proposed rule changes might *smile* up our plans for the 2024 draft. That's unavoidable and uncontrollable outside influence on what we were doing, just as this years crazy injury toll is an uncontrollable influence.
Reckon there's still plenty of under developed potential in the blokes from 21 n we should also be able to get another large batch of good talent this draft, so we'd be looking at probably 10 youngsters growing up together supported by a decent mob of players currently in the 24 to 29 bracket.

• Love
Reactions: 18 users

Keeping Marlion Pickett 1 more year afte Jack , Cotchin , Grimes are all gone and possible departures of Baker , Rioli or even bolton
and the under performing guys like Graham , Cumberland

Trust me our rebuild wont be held back by giving Pickett another year

Reactions: 12 users
Seeing as I'm an old fart n have already banked watching 8 Tiger flags, I'm beyond being desperate enough to insist we're contending for flags every single season. *smile* like that simply doesn't happen in real life. Do know one thing that's an irrevocable absolute when it comes to sporting clubs and even all walks of life. You simply gotta look after your people properly, so I'm happy that the club has gone about looking after our players that have given us so much enjoyment in recent years.
So what if we're flat lining a bit at the moment, they put in plans and system to get a heart kicker going to reboot n revitalise the team. Unfortunately covid had some unforeseen influence on our 5 early picks strategy in 2021 n AFLHQ proposed rule changes might *smile* up our plans for the 2024 draft. That's unavoidable and uncontrollable outside influence on what we were doing, just as this years crazy injury toll is an uncontrollable influence.
Reckon there's still plenty of under developed potential in the blokes from 21 n we should also be able to get another large batch of good talent this draft, so we'd be looking at probably 10 youngsters growing up together supported by a decent mob of players currently in the 24 to 29 bracket.
Super post. There’s life in the OF !

The other thing to me is that if we think the Pickett juniors have high potential then keeping Daddy Pickett for another year doesn’t sound like a soft headed sentimental decision to me. It’s sound like being smart

Reactions: 4 users
Super post. There’s life in the OF !

The other thing to me is that if we think the Pickett juniors have high potential then keeping Daddy Pickett for another year doesn’t sound like a soft headed sentimental decision to me. It’s sound like being smart
That's one of the core things about recruiting the kids these days isn't it ?? They follow the youngsters growth n development right through from U14 / U15 if they show any sort of talent for the game and also dig deep into the core values with family, teachers, junior coaches n club staff. Costs time n money to do all that stuff, at least with current players kids they actually already have a good handle on the family back ground n up bringing as well as the footy talent.

Seeing as I'm an old fart n have already banked watching 8 Tiger flags, I'm beyond being desperate enough to insist we're contending for flags every single season. *smile* like that simply doesn't happen in real life. Do know one thing that's an irrevocable absolute when it comes to sporting clubs and even all walks of life.
You obviously don't understand the AFL's agenda regarding the Northern teams.

They are handing all the Northern clubs massive draft concessions every year so that they are able to contend for the flag every year. Every *smile* year. Because if the Northern clubs are successful that will maximize profits, and regardless of their virtue signaling money is the only thing the AFL truly cares about.

Player welfare - Nup.
Women's rights - Nup.
Gay rights - Nup.
Climate change - Nup.
<Enter current topical social issue that the AFL bang on about> - Nup
Money - Yep.

That's one of the core things about recruiting the kids these days isn't it ?? They follow the youngsters growth n development right through from U14 / U15 if they show any sort of talent for the game and also dig deep into the core values with family, teachers, junior coaches n club staff. Costs time n money to do all that stuff, at least with current players kids they actually already have a good handle on the family back ground n up bringing as well as the footy talent.
Yep. I don't know if the Pickett boys are good or not but I suspect the club does !!

3 F/S's worked out well for the cats.