Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

I'd like to know how much territory the amigos are covering ? Ground there covering is at pace too. Time to end the farce, Rioli to the wing.

CC TIGER said:
I'd like to know how much territory the amigos are covering ? Ground there covering is at pace too. Time to end the farce, Rioli to the wing.
Rioli is too short for the wing. All-Australian defender Smith had him covered all day mostly due to our terrible kicks in his direction but also consider this...last year Daniel was at Jack's feet getting the crumbs off the pack but he's not playing that role this year bc Butler, Bolton, etc. are doing it. So Daniel is being used further up the ground but he's not tall enough to compete!! Club must choose 3 out of Rioli, Castagna, Butler, Bolton and Edwards playing all 5 does not work. When you add Prestia that's 6 smalls which is too many.

When a taller team stacks the defence against us, like Sydney did on the weekend, I wouldn't be surprised if the best bet would be to kick a chaos ball into the forward-50.

Just get us to deliberately kick the ball into the ground in a way that gets it bouncing and moving and shifting and favours our smalls.

tigermike said:
Club must choose 3 out of Rioli, Castagna, Butler, Bolton and Edwards playing all 5 does not work. When you add Prestia that's 6 smalls which is too many.

Add in Lambert (178cm) & Short (177cm).

BTW Castagna & Butler aren't all that small.

I agree with everyone that he has potential, but I have been underwhelmed with him for well over a month now. Has consistent tackling numbers (although I think he can be very reactive) but the rest of his stats are poor.

tigermike said:
Rioli is too short for the wing. All-Australian defender Smith had him covered all day mostly due to our terrible kicks in his direction but also consider this...last year Daniel was at Jack's feet getting the crumbs off the pack but he's not playing that role this year bc Butler, Bolton, etc. are doing it. So Daniel is being used further up the ground but he's not tall enough to compete!! Club must choose 3 out of Rioli, Castagna, Butler, Bolton and Edwards playing all 5 does not work. When you add Prestia that's 6 smalls which is too many.
While I don't disagree that we are too short as a team, there have been plenty of excellent wingers of Daniel's stature. Brad Hill is 2cm taller (on official figures, Danny looks as if he has grown) but Dan is better in the air. Montagna, Aussie Jones, Akermanis, Mainwaring, Long, Graham Wright, all slightly shorter than Dan. David Murphy the same height. Matera 4cm taller.

spook said:
While I don't disagree that we are too short as a team, there have been plenty of excellent wingers of Daniel's stature. Brad Hill is 2cm taller (on official figures, Danny looks as if he has grown) but Dan is better in the air. Montagna, Aussie Jones, Akermanis, Mainwaring, Long, Graham Wright, all slightly shorter than Dan. David Murphy the same height. Matera 4cm taller.
There may be some exceptions but I just prefer tall wingers with pace, like Premiership players Bourke and Clay both 185cm about 6 feet 1 inch. Castagna is 181 (5'11"), Butler is 182 just under 6ft but I would not call either of them good contested marks, just good marks on a lead. Rioli is only 179cm (5 '10") and best in fwd pocket or HFF. We need more height for marking contests even with kick-ins, that's why I'd like to see both Markov (188) and Menadue (187) put on the wings and left there for a few weeks to settle in. Dan has been out of form the past month or so.

tigermike said:
I don't disagree we are too short, but that's a different subject, you could also say we lack class in the forward half, however Rioli too short to paly on a wing/ midfield I totally disagree, as others have mentioned there has been countless stars under 6 foot play through the middle.

Rioli has been poor for a few weeks now. Should get a game or 2 in the reserves. In saying that only Bolton earned his pay last week from the small forwards

Seemed to play much of the second half on Hannebery. Did ok at times. He is losing his feet a bit too often but I think he's gassed and stretched all in the same game.

He's plateaued in performance, maybe even declined a little but against better opponents. From Smith to Hannebery. That's the big time.

Growing pains here for Rioli, IMO. All good. It can happen this year. He can just level up. We're giving him the chance to do that. This is risk taking. This is good.

Hit a real flat spot and could have easily been dropped any one of last four weeks , looks to be lacking the confidence to do what looked like instinct in first few rounds , go to ressies and get some belief back

tigermike said:
There may be some exceptions but I just prefer tall wingers with pace, like Premiership players Bourke and Clay both 185cm about 6 feet 1 inch. Castagna is 181 (5'11"), Butler is 182 just under 6ft but I would not call either of them good contested marks, just good marks on a lead. Rioli is only 179cm (5 '10") and best in fwd pocket or HFF. We need more height for marking contests even with kick-ins, that's why I'd like to see both Markov (188) and Menadue (187) put on the wings and left there for a few weeks to settle in. Dan has been out of form the past month or so.
Just to back up my argument for tall wingers you would have noticed that key contest on the wing late in the last qtr when Nick Newman (2015 Rookie draft) beat Daniel which kept the ball in Sydney's fwd half...Newman is 187cm, Rioli 179. Height does matter.

tigermike said:
Just to back up my argument for tall wingers you would have noticed that key contest on the wing late in the last qtr when Nick Newman (2015 Rookie draft) beat Daniel which kept the ball in Sydney's fwd half...Newman is 187cm, Rioli 179. Height does matter.

Rioli lost his feet and Newman beat him for the ground level ball.

Not sure how being taller helps him at ground level.