Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

Developing very nicely. Will be a great player for us.

You can never have too much class in the side.

Along with Dusty and Riolis exciting way of playing the game its gone along way to rekindling my American sport loving sons love for the Tigers

casper68 said:
S.E.N footy ratings Dan got a 5 out 10.

In a game where it was a slog for a half he stood out a mile when he had the ball. Made it look dry at times. That can be the difference between winning & losing sometimes in those conditions.

If Rioli had got ten telling possessions then I would have given him a 10/10 rating.
Given that he got nine telling possessions I will give him a rating of 9/10.
The young fella is going to be a GUN, second only to Maurice and better than Cyril.
Just hope RFC sign him to a decent contract and keep the Hawks away from enticing him to join his cousin.
(Same goes for Martin, as the Hawks will throw the kitchen sink and more at him at season's end.)

casper68 said:
S.E.N footy ratings Dan got a 5 out 10.

Got a vote in the HS. As in best three on the ground. Maybe the journo was in the bar and went off the stats.

Just saw Murphy's goal that everyone's raving about. Gets handball receive, snaps goal. The end. Nice goal but they're kidding if they reckon it's on a par with Rioli's.

mjb said:
Neither coach could fit him in their top 5
Which was probably right.

He was exciting, very active and did some great things but didn't get enough to be in the coaches' votes. When he starts averaging 15-20 a game then watch out!

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Got a vote in the HS. As in best three on the ground. Maybe the journo was in the bar and went off the stats.
Old Leo Schlink must have been drunk. He couldn't find a vote for Cotchin.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:

Just saw Murphy's goal that everyone's raving about. Gets handball receive, snaps goal. The end. Nice goal but they're kidding if they reckon it's on a par with Rioli's.

Exactly. Rioli beat 2 players & running at full pace banana's one through

Michael Mitchell part2
Class brave skilful
Unbelievable to watch
Mcgovern is still searching for him on the wing..

LeeToRainesToRoach said:

It's like the "best" players list - more possessions = better, less = worse. The journos just read the player stats and judge accordingly.

Not sure how murphys goal can possibly be better. Rioli beat his taller opponent in the air, kept the ball in, changed direction and wrong footed his opponent while uo against the boundary line, gave it off got it back and banana'd it from 40 out on the boundary.

Exactly guys.

How people are talking up others is unbelievable. It's not biased. The other goals were good BUT Rioli's was goal of the week.

Harry said:
Not sure how murphys goal can possibly be better. Rioli beat his taller opponent in the air, kept the ball in, changed direction and wrong footed his opponent while uo against the boundary line, gave it off got it back and banana'd it from 40 out on the boundary.

Murphy was also under no pressure whatsoever and had a lot more time to line himself up. Rioli's was far better.

The things I really loved about Dans game (other than the goals obviously) were also those things that you don't get a stat for. The little taps when going up in contests to keep the ball in play. Really smart player, will just keep getting better.

antman said:
It's like the "best" players list - more possessions = better, less = worse. The journos just read the player stats and judge accordingly.

The H/S journos can't read.

mrposhman said:
The things I really loved about Dans game (other than the goals obviously) were also those things that you don't get a stat for. The little taps when going up in contests to keep the ball in play. Really smart player, will just keep getting better.

You do get stats for some of them, and you're right, Dan was credited with 4, 1%'s. Given that he was officially credited with 11 over 18 games last year, it's obvious the pre season gains in core strength have enabled his 75kg frame to stay on the ball. That and his lateral movement which is exceptional. His gains in strength and endurance since the beginning of his draft year have been off the charts. Give him another year of improvement and he will be shredding in the midfield, as well as kicking goals like we saw on Saturday.

This dual capacity sees him having the potential to be better than Cyril, and THAT is going to be phenomenal to witness.