Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

I heard that ‘twilight’ comment.
He’s only 27!

Reactions: 1 user
I still remember watching Daniel hobbling up to wave to the crowd at Punt Road that Sunday after the 2017 GF.
Farewell and good luck, one of my all time favourite players.

Reactions: 2 users
Geez, a lot of negativity about a guy who played his guts out this year and won our B&F in an otherwise crappy season.

He helped us win three flags, the first with a busted foot in the last quarter. He did whatever was asked of him. And he did it with class.

He owes us nothing. Just because he can't or won't articulate a good reason to satisfy fans as to why he's making this chsnge in his life doesn't mean he doesn't have good reasons.

Goodnight sweet prince, and may flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

Reactions: 8 users
All the best with the move North Daniel.

I'll take this sad exit from the Tigers for the three flags you helped us win every day of the week.

But..... I have a sneaking suspicion you are going to regret the move.

Reactions: 3 users
Love Daniel but the reasons behind Daniel leaving are really shallow. Not that it's the club's fault for not providing something more meaningful. Talking more about Daniel himself. "Looking for a change." Is that it ? Really ?

Just seems like he's quitting to me. At least the others have some form of foundation for wanting out. I'm yet to hear anything of any substance with Daniel.

Incredibly disappointing decision by Daniel. The one that hurts the most, by far.

Agree his departure hurts the most.

I read somewhere in the last couple of days that his wage this year was $600,000. I have no idea if that is correct, but if it is you can fully understand his motives for leaving. The Suns would have offered him way more than that.

Given the limited time footballers have to make decent coin I don’t begrudge him the right to maximise his earnings.

Agree his departure hurts the most.

I read somewhere in the last couple of days that his wage this year was $600,000. I have no idea if that is correct, but if it is you can fully understand his motives for leaving. The Suns would have offered him way more than that.

Given the limited time footballers have to make decent coin I don’t begrudge him the right to maximise his earnings.
If he wanted to stay we could have renegotiate especially after B&F win. Stop looking for excuses. He checked out and wasn’t interested in staying and doing the hard yards.

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks Dan, Shai, Fridge and Liam for your service's, I hope you like flying and waiting around in airports.

I didn’t say he’d checked out on field. There was no reference to his on field performance (apart from my reference to him winning the B&F) He’d checked out on a future with the RFC.
Hes leaving, so yeah in that sense hes "checked out," just like Jack, Shai and Leon.

He gave everything on the field for us every season he played and three flags He owes us nothing, I wish him the best.

Reactions: 2 users
Hes leaving, so yeah in that sense hes "checked out," just like Jack, Shai and Leon.

He gave everything on the field for us every season he played and three flags He owes us nothing, I wish him the best.
If like Baker he’d be coming out of contract, I’d agree, but he broke a contract, and I think he does owe the supporters an articulate explanation as to why.

Reactions: 5 users
Thanks Dan, Shai, Fridge and Liam for your service's, I hope you like flying and waiting around in airports.
Yep, it's simply thanks for the old n fading memories. They all wear oppo colours so they're the on field enemy now. Come back for a beer n anniversary reunion in a few years time.
Footy's a professional sporting career n we don't get to own the player, we simply rent / employ them for a portion of their time. Job's done well or poorly, whatever n then it's see ya, thanks for coming n on with the next young fella that's gunna be a premiership star for us, we hope.

If he wanted to stay we could have renegotiate especially after B&F win. Stop looking for excuses. He checked out and wasn’t interested in staying and doing the hard yards.

If the club really wanted to keep him they would have held him to his contract. Re-negotiated or not.

But an opportunity to refresh with the other departures was identified and a plan put in place.

Good business by the RFC. I hold no ill will towards any of the departing players.

Got to do what's best for the club. And I have no problem with any player doing what's best for themselves.

I’m still annoyed Dan has left tbh. I still don’t understand what the appeal is for wanting to go to the Sun’s (apart from Dimma and a pay rise).

When Gold Coast are still dog5hit in 3 years time and we are back in finals after our rebuild, I hope he doesn’t request a return to Richmond. And if he does, I hope the club tells him to GAGF.

Going to be strange seeing so many players “of ours” playing against us next year. All of them. At the same time. Who wooda thunk it while we were hoisting the premiership cup in 2020. But. There you go.

Expect to be drawn against The Eagles, Dockers and Suns in the first half a dozen weeks next year (probably all away as well).

Reactions: 1 users
When you look at the players we have traded to other Clubs over the years (I am not going back to the 70’s), I struggle to think of any that have gone on to big things at other clubs. Butts and Higgins are going ok at St Kilda, they would be the 2 going best in terms of value to their side. Brandon Ellis was solid at GC, Chol came and went for GC, going ok at Hawthorne, Oleg a fringe player at the Pies. The Vickery’s and Platts never did much. Even guys like Jeff Hogg and Michael Pickering didn’t set the world on fire. This, I think, will be the first time that we will watch some of our former players be seriously good at their new Clubs. So, certainly hope we make, what was fair value in terms of trade, winners with our draft picks. Don’t want a repeat of the Deledio, through to Polo draft where we had 5 picks inside 20 and only got one to stick. Fingers crossed.