Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

It felt like to me, when he moved from the forwardline to the backline, he had a new contract soon after.
That move to me was about him being given the chance to shine as a running back, rather than in the publically undervalued role of pressure forward.

He was done with the team requirement, it was the Daniel Requirement. I didn't begrudge him at the time, as I've wanted to change roles at work before
myself. I needed a new challenge etc cause I was feeling stale. But it seemed more about Rioli needing the bigger profile to get more money. I get it, but
it seemed a very selfish approach. Always made me wonder whether it was a trait of his or not.

I'll genuinely miss him playing for us. Was resigned to him going a while ago, and excited about the potential picks we may get back in his place. As others have
said, not sure there's a "virtuous" (can't think of a better word, it's not what I really want to say!) reason for him choosing GC and this isn't pure self interest coming through. Previous behaviours leave me suspicious though.

Wasn't the move to half back what the team needed? You think Dimma said yeah you need a higher profile so Im happy to move you to halfback?

I don't buy that for one second General Lee.

I'm thinking maybe let the dust settle (in 25 and with Moju on the comeback), then in 26 Moju to slide into 17.

I know The Great Titch handed him 10 but by then time will be the right to make the move.

17 Like Father.
17 Like Son.

The Prince has abdicated. Boo.

Hail The Son King!
The prince is dead.

Long live the prince.

Reactions: 1 users
Plenty of factors:
  • Dimma - Yep, that's one, but I don't understand why he would consider that to be more important than playing alongside his uncle.
  • More money - I'm sure we could have matched this with the cap space we now have.
  • Home games in Darwin 3x a year - Its 2 games and who knows if that will be extended beyond 2026. Plus, you do know he moved to Victoria for high school, right?
  • Missus wants to - I haven't heard this.
  • Melbourne's cold and he's done 10 winters - As stated, its more like 16-17 winters. Or two thirds of his life.
  • No success at Richmond for the rest of his career - He signed a 5 year deal and we will be in the finals within 3-4 years. No guarantees the Gold Coast will.

It felt like to me, when he moved from the forwardline to the backline, he had a new contract soon after.
That move to me was about him being given the chance to shine as a running back, rather than in the publically undervalued role of pressure forward.

He was done with the team requirement, it was the Daniel Requirement. I didn't begrudge him at the time, as I've wanted to change roles at work before
myself. I needed a new challenge etc cause I was feeling stale. But it seemed more about Rioli needing the bigger profile to get more money. I get it, but
it seemed a very selfish approach. Always made me wonder whether it was a trait of his or not.
I reckon working in Dimma’s sweatshop as a small forward would take its toll on anyone.
His workrate for us over the Premiership era redefined small forward pressure. Elite.
I can totally understand why that hunger would start to disappear after climbing the mountain 3 times though. Half back a cool breeze compared to that tough role.

Reactions: 4 users
I reckon working in Dimma’s sweatshop as a small forward would take its toll on anyone.
His workrate for us over the Premiership era redefined small forward pressure. Elite.
I can totally understand why that hunger would start to disappear after climbing the mountain 3 times though. Half back a cool breeze compared to that tough role.
It cooked George physicallyu and mentally

Reactions: 4 users
And the fact he is pussy whipped by his DJ Missus who wants to be a Gold Coast celeb.
I am not sure I would put it in those terms but is it true that she is an influencer?
The reason I ask is that the son of a friend of mine moved up to the Gold Coast a couple of years ago because his influencer partner wanted to live there as it is evidently a major centre for those in that profession.
No idea if that is a motivation for Daniel

I think the long term contracts have worked out very well for the club and I expect we will continue to see more of these in the afl.

Bailey smith shows you what happens when it isn’t in place. Seller gets less.

Reactions: 3 users
Craig Lambert
Jay Schulz

It’s not an enormously long list for sure
Stengle is also a star at Geelong, although he did have to go through another club first so I dunno if you count that. We don't lose high-profile players to the same extent as some other teams like the expansion clubs or the Bulldogs, but we've lost a few that have hurt, Ottens most of all to me in recent-ish departures before this year.

Higgins' departure was the one I liked the least — most players leaving the club seem like professional decisions, his seemed pretty petulant.

Reactions: 2 users
Stengle is also a star at Geelong, although he did have to go through another club first so I dunno if you count that. We don't lose high-profile players to the same extent as some other teams like the expansion clubs or the Bulldogs, but we've lost a few that have hurt, Ottens most of all to me in recent-ish departures before this year.

Higgins' departure was the one I liked the least — most players leaving the club seem like professional decisions, his seemed pretty petulant.
Bugs me when people say Stengle was Richmond’s mistake. Much like they say we took Caddy from Gold Coast.

Reactions: 1 users
Wasn't Sausage punted down to boarding school in Victoria as a 14 or 15 year old kid? Dozen years down here 9 years n 3 flags for the Tiges, he's pretty much done it all. Pay rise n warmer climate for the last few years of his career, they say a change is as good as a holiday. Sometimes ya just gotta shift n re challenge yourself or ya get stale n stagnant.

Plenty of factors:
  • Dimma
  • More money
  • Home games in Darwin 3x a year
  • Missus wants to
  • Melbourne's cold and he's done 10 winters
  • No success at Richmond for the rest of his career
None of which justify breaking a contract & have any merit, particularly his partner “for the time being”, nor have a smidgen of loyalty or a willingness to help the club rebuild.

None of which justify breaking a contract & have any merit, particularly his partner “for the time being”, nor have a smidgen of loyalty or a willingness to help the club rebuild.
Meh. Contracts are like old newspapers, ya can wipe ur arse with them if ya have a need to.
Today, tomorrow, next week, days change n life changes, move on n make the best ya can of the one life ya have.

100% agree to the above. It would have been hard. Lots of running, lots of effort. Not a lot of touches of the footy.
I wonder if people remember we were dropping Rioli as his form was off, and giving him time at VFL so he could get to feel the leather again.
I remember Dimma saying at the time that Dan was having a hard time playing up forward and not getting the rewards of being able to
get the footy and use it.

I get why Castagna wasn't offered a role at HB (he couldn't kick or handball reliably), but think Dan may have got some special treatment
that wasn't afforded others. No proof that had happened of course, and it wouldn't be the first time that a talented player got treatment
a role player hadn't.

In any case, he's gone. I can't wait until November to find out who 6 and 23 will turn into.

Reactions: 1 user
I read yesterday that Pigsy just passed away recently. Always my favourite character
even more off-topic, sorry Prince.... but Damn... as I recall there were two actors who played Pigsy across the series. Of course, Tripitaka was played by a female model/actress who died very young - the BBC production dubbing has a lot of fun over the gender ambiguity using a female voice actress and some comments by the other characters about his/her attractiveness. The actor who played Monkey went on to have a successful cooking show on Japanese TV, and also played Colombo in the Japanese version of, well Colombo.

When you travel through Asia nearly everyone knows the story of Monkey (inspired by the Hindu Monkey God Hanuman) and Tripitaka, based on myth/legend and a famous 16th century book by a Chinese author, Journey to the West, surprisingly the series is pretty accurate to the chapters/episodes in the book.

Do I know way too much about Monkey? Yes, I do.

Here's the cast with recent photos - left to right Tripitaka (RIP), Monkey, Pigsy 1 (RIP), Sandy, Pigsy 2, Horse/Dragon.

Screenshot_2024-10-18-10-25-13_4480x1440.png
W

Reactions: 5 users