Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

I could never have foreseen a Rioli turning their back on Richmond, except in the most extreme of circumstances.

Leaving behind Maurice Jr and the club that gave him plenty of success is surprising and regrettable.

One of my favourite Tigers and I would not be shocked if he feels a tinge of regret now that it's real.

There are simple reasons very few players go to the Gold Coast Suns.

Daniel Rioli is about to find out how soul destroying it is playing for a dreary, manufactured backwater organisation in front of scant crowds.

A strange and sad choice.

Hardwick must not liked all the new toys as much as he claimed. Wanted an old toy to play with

Reactions: 5 users
So now my long time favourite Tiger is gone.
I couldn't believe the courage and skills of this skinny kid who formed a vital part of our three amigos under Jackmond.

I'm so pleased that the club used his forward work on the RFC goodbye highlight reel.
I love small forwards and he is one of the best assists and most creative players I have seen.

I maintain my (stubborn) stance until the end that he was far more dangerous around goal than running off half back.
He was at his physical peak, (although still plagued by his ankle injury) when he moved back and I feel a bit cheated. We all suffered through a series of panic merchants trying to kick goals as we lost close games.

But there were a few cameos goals to remind me.

I'm so glad he picked up the B and F before he left us. I wanted his name on the Jack Dyer Medal honour board. Who knows one day the great tradition may continue with a F/S pick...

And, he is a much respected, scrupulously fair, humble and decent human being.

Now I'm torn. I want Daniel to continue to do well, but not so much his new team and coach!

A credit to the #17.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 13 users
Love Daniel but the reasons behind Daniel leaving are really shallow. Not that it's the club's fault for not providing something more meaningful. Talking more about Daniel himself. "Looking for a change." Is that it ? Really ?

Just seems like he's quitting to me. At least the others have some form of foundation for wanting out. I'm yet to hear anything of any substance with Daniel.

Incredibly disappointing decision by Daniel. The one that hurts the most, by far.

• Angry
Reactions: 17 users
Love Daniel but the reasons behind Daniel leaving are really shallow. Not that it's the club's fault for not providing something more meaningful. Talking more about Daniel himself. "Looking for a change." Is that it ? Really ?

Just seems like he's quitting to me. At least the others have some form of foundation for wanting out. I'm yet to hear anything of any substance with Daniel.

Incredibly disappointing decision by Daniel. The one that hurts the most, by far.
I thought it was telling Rioli was the only player Hartley didn't have an explanation for leaving.

Reactions: 4 users
I thought it was telling Rioli was the only player Hartley didn't have an explanation for leaving.
That's right Dentures. That's what prompted me. Blair did his best, but unlike the others, he didn't have much to lean on where Daniel was concerned did he ?

Reactions: 2 users

Wasn't Sausage punted down to boarding school in Victoria as a 14 or 15 year old kid? Dozen years down here 9 years n 3 flags for the Tiges, he's pretty much done it all. Pay rise n warmer climate for the last few years of his career, they say a change is as good as a holiday. Sometimes ya just gotta shift n re challenge yourself or ya get stale n stagnant.

Yep.
Wasn't Sausage punted down to boarding school in Victoria as a 14 or 15 year old kid? Dozen years down here 9 years n 3 flags for the Tiges, he's pretty much done it all. Pay rise n warmer climate for the last few years of his career, they say a change is as good as a holiday. Sometimes ya just gotta shift n re challenge yourself or ya get stale n stagnant.
New priorities in his life.

Reactions: 1 users
Well said. Dan owes us nothing. It’s his life to live as he chooses. As much as I will miss him in the yellow and black I hope the remaining years of his footy career are magnificent. To think he has to justify to us his decision to leave for a fresh start is beyond belief.

Going to be strange seeing so many players “of ours” playing against us next year. All of them. At the same time. Who wooda thunk it while we were hoisting the premiership cup in 2020. But. There you go.

He needed a change of scenery
Brady Bunch K GIF

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Yet a couple of years ago he was very happy to sign a long term contract and state how happy he was at RFC and that he could never see himself anywhere else.

What changed? Oh that’s right we started losing games instead of winning flags and the plastic fantastics offered a truck load more cash.

Make the change, no worries. But don’t expect us to believe the *smile* reasons given. Dan left because he didn’t want to play in a *smile* side and he got offered a lot more money.

• Dislike
Reactions: 7 users
Yet a couple of years ago he was very happy to sign a long term contract and state how happy he was at RFC and that he could never see himself anywhere else.

What changed? Oh that’s right we started losing games instead of winning flags and the plastic fantastics offered a truck load more cash.

Make the change, no worries. But don’t expect us to believe the *smile* reasons given. Dan left because he didn’t want to play in a *smile* side and he got offered a lot more money.
You’re on the money, there, Riddles. I’ve lost a lot of respect for Rioli over this. I suspect that he and his Svengali mentor Hardwick are going to crash and burn up there.

Daniel Rioli was special. Richmond royalty. His departure hurts deeply yet I don’t begrudge his decision because he knew that Richmond would be richly rewarded by the GCS.

Richmond also knew that Richmond would be richly rewarded by the GCS. As Blair said, Daniel is in the twilight of his career….

A win for Daniel, a win for the GCS, and a win for the RFC.

Reactions: 3 users
Would be a significant pay jump too.
He was on his way out the back door before he got repurposed in the backline, then got a new contract which probably was at lower cash for longer years.
Now he gets years and proper coin.

It still hurts