Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

Plenty of factors:
  • Dimma
  • More money
  • Home games in Darwin 3x a year
  • Missus wants to
  • Melbourne's cold and he's done 10 winters
  • No success at Richmond for the rest of his career
More than 10, he went to St Pats Balla-bloody-Rat! Melbourne is like the Bahamas after that!

But yeah.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Huh? I've accepted it, but I don't love it.

I find the post odd, but on the buddhism thing, Buddhism has very limited applicability to footy. Its all about disconnecting and feeling no passion about anything. If that is your starting point, what is the point of footy? Anyway thats probably another thread ha ha!
You've "accepted it" but you still want an explanation because if you don't get it that means you will believe anything? Tells me you haven't accepted it.

It is for another thread, but Buddhism and other virtue philosophies don't try to eliminate all emotion - in fact they suggest you should experience joy in all that the universe gives you, but dont be surprised when the universe takes those things away, and don't unduly desire things that you don't have.

So enjoy the three flags and Rioli snapping that goal in the GF, but don't be sad that we are now in a rebuild, there is joy in that too. Totes applicable to footy Snakey.

Last edited:
You've "accepted it" but you still want an explanation because if you don't get it that means you will believe anything? Tells me you haven't accepted it.

It is for another thread, but Buddhism and other virtue philosophies don't try to eliminate all emotion - in fact they suggest you should experience joy in all that the universe gives you, but dont be surprised when the universe takes those things away, and don't unduly desire things that you don't have.

So enjoy the three flags and Rioli snapping that goal in the GF, but don't be sad that we are now in a rebuild, there is joy in that too. Totes applicable to footy Snakey.
No worries Tripitaka.

My ego wants to see misery heaped on geelong, and no amount of Buddhism is gunna change that!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Both arguments for him leaving or for him staying are valid and it's an eachway bet. My say on it is i was angry that it was organised in May this year and then we copped denial from him with limp excuses.

Positives are we're doing a proper rebuild now and if he'd had enough for whatever reasons then it's best we got the picks. We can set ourselves up for another launch now providing we draft well in the next 3 years with some big fish added later.

We have to be realistic our list was going nowhere with Graham, Bolton, Rioli and Baker as we only won 2 games all season. Bolton is the only player than can be a damaging mid /Forward which are worth their weight in gold. SO we get 8 cracks inside P25 to nail FOUR gun mids , kpf , a kpb back, a HBF and maybe a ruck.
We are really so lucky this has happened as old Richmond would've kept them going until they were worthless.
Let's all be content bc after a year of hell the God's are starting to smile on us.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I’m not all that salty about Shai. He had reasons outside of football (would have been nice if he’d considered that when he signed the contract, though), he also said why he wanted to return home. Rioli, on the other hand, doesn’t have that, and he’s never said why it was imperative that he break his contract to presumably complete his career elsewhere. He doesn’t have to, but he should be able to understand why people want to know. Especially in light of his comments when he signed that contract.
Who the hell is anybody to judge his motives for leaving? Or even knowing them. Unbelievable.

Reactions: 1 users
Wife or gf wanted to move to GC I think work opportunity honestly who wears the 👖.
Or maybe they are in a mature, equal relationship where they make decisions about where they live together, as a couple.

Its how the modern world is meant to work, but i do understand not all men are ready for it.

Reactions: 5 users
Who the hell is anybody to judge his motives for leaving? Or even knowing them. Unbelievable.

Yeah. I also think attaching too much weight to what footballers say when they sign or don't sign contracts is a mistake - some are articulate and speak for themselves, others just say what the club/management tell them to say because, let's face it, they arwnt really comfortable with public or camera-in-face speaking.

Anyways I'll shut up now.

But what about the Rioli legacy at the RFC? What about uncle Maurice?

I can understand why the other 3 left. They all had legitimate reasons. This one has never made any sense. It seems to be a completely selfish decision.

Uncle Maurice nearly left the Tiges, Edelsten signed him Summer 1985-1986, but Geoffey was signing everybody and salary cap saved us.

Reactions: 1 users
In a word, yes.

That's how it has to be, otherwise we'd wander though life believing everything we hear. . Number 1 is having a reason, number 2 is how legitimate and convincing that reason is. In a nutshell, Shai's is convincing, Dan's isn't.

I don't hate him, but its disappointing.
Only needs one reason n that's exactly the same as for everyone. It's his life n he's entitled to do what he thinks feels best for his life. Everything else is just window dressing.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Only needs one reason n that's exactly the same as for everyone. It's his life n he's entitled to do what he thinks feels best for his life. Everything else is just window dressing.
Yeah, agree with this.

You don't really need a public reason. It's what he wanted to do with his life.

I don't know who we are to value judge that being homesick is noble and everything else is traitorous.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm thinking maybe let the dust settle (in 25 and with Moju on the comeback), then in 26 Moju to slide into 17.

I know The Great Titch handed him 10 but by then time will be the right to make the move.

17 Like Father.
17 Like Son.

The Prince has abdicated. Boo.

Hail The Son King!

But what about the Rioli legacy at the RFC? What about uncle Maurice?

I can understand why the other 3 left. They all had legitimate reasons. This one has never made any sense. It seems to be a completely selfish decision.
It felt like to me, when he moved from the forwardline to the backline, he had a new contract soon after.
That move to me was about him being given the chance to shine as a running back, rather than in the publically undervalued role of pressure forward.

He was done with the team requirement, it was the Daniel Requirement. I didn't begrudge him at the time, as I've wanted to change roles at work before
myself. I needed a new challenge etc cause I was feeling stale. But it seemed more about Rioli needing the bigger profile to get more money. I get it, but
it seemed a very selfish approach. Always made me wonder whether it was a trait of his or not.

I'll genuinely miss him playing for us. Was resigned to him going a while ago, and excited about the potential picks we may get back in his place. As others have
said, not sure there's a "virtuous" (can't think of a better word, it's not what I really want to say!) reason for him choosing GC and this isn't pure self interest coming through. Previous behaviours leave me suspicious though.

Reactions: 1 user