Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

Pick 6 is generous for Rioli. However, he is contracted. so Gold Coast have to pay up.

Rioli & 39 & 41
for Gold Coasts picks - 6 & 13

Reactions: 4 users
Pick 6 is generous for Rioli. However, he is contracted. so Gold Coast have to pay up.

Rioli & 39 & 41
for Gold Coasts picks - 6 & 13

We all want picks 6 and 12 for Dan.

But we will have to sweeten the deal for sure.

Be that through paying part of his salary or giving up one of our later draft picks.

I would seriously consider swapping our f2 for theirs as well.

Reactions: 2 users
Why pay any of his salary , they want him , they pay him he us contracted, they want him the pay the pick we want he IS contracted
Our list won't be worth 95% next year. May as well pay some of his salary for more coming back our way.

Reactions: 1 users
Our list won't be worth 95% next year. May as well pay some of his salary for more coming back our way.

We are shedding millions off the list aren’t we.

I have no idea the exact amounts but it would be something like

Shai $1,000,000
Rioli $750,000
Baker $700,000
Graham $600,000
Dusty $1,200,000
Grimes $500,000
Prestia takes a pay cut too.

Lynch from memory was backended, might go up $500,000
Taranto and Hopper salary probably rises too. Again no idea how much, let’s say $600,000 combined.

There will be other rises for sure, but it will still leave us paying well short of the required 95% of the salary cap.

It’s good business to pay part of the salary of one or two departing players if it means improving our draft hand.

Reactions: 3 users
We are shedding millions off the list aren’t we.

I have no idea the exact amounts but it would be something like

Shai $1,000,000
Rioli $750,000
Baker $700,000
Graham $600,000
Dusty $1,200,000
Grimes $500,000
Prestia takes a pay cut too.

Lynch from memory was backended, might go up $500,000
Taranto and Hopper salary probably rises too. Again no idea how much, let’s say $600,000 combined.

There will be other rises for sure, but it will still leave us paying well short of the required 95% of the salary cap.

It’s good business to pay part of the salary of one or two departing players if it means improving our draft hand.
Or redo contracts to front load?

• Love
I sit somewhere in between. 6 plus something extra sounds about right to me. If that ends up being pick 20ish that'd be fine by me.

I'm on the 6 plus something bandwagon too, especially as we will probably chip in for some of his salary for the next 3 years.

I'm thinking something like 6 and 26 for Rioli 47 and 57.

They have too many points already for Lombard, so I think they will be looking to trade their 1st 4 out as 26, 38 and 46 already means they can match a pick upto around Pick 5, and its unlikely Lombard will be bid on there IMO. Probably more likely around 10, so they have the luxury to trade more picks out.

If we get 6 and 26 and give them back 47 and 57, that takes the value of GC's picks after 38 upto about 7/8.

They can then sell 12 and 20 off to the highest bidders for 2025 draft picks. You'd think there would be plenty of takers. Its why I can see 1 of these picks being used as part of the Noble trade, by offering such a high pick I reckon they could get an awesome deal out of the Pies, possibly including their 1st rounder. Would they offer Noble and their F1 for 12 and 20? Maybe. That would be a pretty good get for GC if they think the Pies will miss finals next year, though they may ask for another sweetener somewhere, maybe pick swaps in 2025 or maybe the Pies will need to find another party to get them a 2025 2nd, somewhere mid range 2nd you'd think.

Snowballs the problem down the road and makes it worse IMO. (Overpaying for the talent we will have in a couple of years time)

It's the opposite. It actually stops the problem from snowballing down the road.

i.e. If we front end Hoppers contract, in 3-4 years time it will be worth little per year so gives flexibility to pay him out, trade him, keep him etc without it being a noose around our neck. Which it currently looks like it will be.

Reactions: 10 users
Which ones? Doesn’t make sense.
There's not a lot there but Tarranto Hopper Short and everyone we sign/resign. I was talking more philosophically. I'm all for paying some of Bolton and Rioli if we can get a better draft hand.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Jack Dyer Medallist!! And ! The most pussy whipped bloke in the AFL or at least rivalling Soldo……

His popsie is probably the main reason he’s going to join Humpwick.

Last edited:
Rioli wins Jack Dyer medal our best player in 2024 and were going to accept from all media reports pick 6 for him?
Dont care if Suns are trying to quickly sell off pick 12 to highest bidder
We must make a stand demand pick 6 and pick 12 for him or they can go Fthemselves

If his heart is not in it then he won’t be that good at GCS. Lets take them for everything we can get and let him and them wear the consequences.

Love it when someone who doesn’t have to do the deal sets the benchmark for failure for someone who actually has to do it :ROFLMAO:

I love Dan Rioli but if we get 6 and 20 that’s a great deal imo.
i agree Dan has done his bit for Richmond, we can capitalise on his stock value now.

It's the opposite. It actually stops the problem from snowballing down the road.

i.e. If we front end Hoppers contract, in 3-4 years time it will be worth little per year so gives flexibility to pay him out, trade him, keep him etc without it being a noose around our neck. Which it currently looks like it will be.
In addition, with the influx of high-quality youth that is about to walk through the door, and help us to forget Season 2024, we will need to be issuing quite a few pay rises in the coming years, so need to have space to do so and keep the players (and, apparently, their girlfriends) happy at Punt Rd.

Reactions: 1 user