Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

That would depend on the 1st rounder i would say but at a guess a top 5-10 would have to be $1 mil
anything below top 5 wouldnt get traded and 10-20 would be $500k range you would think

* Oops i thought you meant when salary cap trading for picks come in
My Bad

Nope you were correct - thanks you answered my question - I just wasn’t clear in how I asked it.

Trading picks for salary cap relief is sort of happening now I guess except you just need to have a player involved as well. (Eg the GC Jack Bowes to Geelong)

Reactions: 1 user
No. You never pay the entire salary. Bonuses etc, completely outside your control.
Pay for a couple of years Max. In three years time, our swathe of draftees will come out of contract. We need cash to keep them.
Why pay any of his salary , they want him , they pay him he us contracted, they want him the pay the pick we want he IS contracted

Why pay any of his salary , they want him , they pay him he us contracted, they want him the pay the pick we want he IS contracted
We pay some of his salary if it gets us better picks. Same with Bolton and Baker.

What else are we going to do with the money?

That's been answered above. Basically it it means we pay 2 years but we get a much higher pick, then it's got merit.
Would you rather pay Thomson Dow $400k for another year (and face the ramifications of what that does to other players expectations) or pay Rioli and upgrade from Pick 20 to 13.

Agree.

If we get rid of any more senior players we may as well open a kindergarten.
Keep telling people we have enough senior players for next year even with the exodus going on.
Our problem is too many are in real decline and a few are ordinary.

Nankervis, Prestia, McIntosh, Broad, Lynch and Vlastuin are the vets. A good list manager would have had plans in place for replacing them at least three years ago.
Short, Balta, Taranto, Hopper All have 100 games each.
All ten like em or not are likely to be starting players next year. Apart from a few i think they are a decent starting point.

In anticipation that McIntosh Prestia and Lynch may all be gone at the end of next year we probably should be looking at a few experienced types in free agency or trades.
Experience wont affect us that greatly in 2025 its beyond we need to worry about.

Personally i like the idea of keeping Tom Lynch around the club even when he retires.
If Tom wants to try for another flag next year and we can get some decent compensation then we may as well do it.
We won't get a thing for him at the end of next year when he is out of contract or retired. Flip side is and its a long shot his injuries go away and we get two or three seasons out of him. Here's hoping

This is what i think will happen. Tom will retire with a bottom 4 finish with us, or a flag/finals with another team next year if he goes.
If injuries continue he may not even see a full year out. We do this only if Tom asks for it.

We also have a group of players while most lack a lot of games playing at the level, they are what you would call mature types aged 23 thru 26.
Generally speaking they are battlers and role players and depth players.

Miller, Ross, MRJ, HRS, Kossie, Dow, Mansell, Ryan, Cumberland, Colina, Lefau, OHB, Blight, Coulthard and Young.
This is where the real problem lies where is the genuine quality in that lot?

Its here in this age group i hope we look for upgrades i dont really believe it should be hard to do. They all in one way or another have some serious question marks about them.
Hoping like mad three or four really improve to become good consistent AFL players but fair dinkum the clock is really ticking.

We also hope a few of the 22 and unders can become good consistent players for us or even get lucky and find a few diamonds.

I'm booing him
Boo No GIF by Denyse®