Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

Maybe pick 6 and their future 1st works well , Dimma would have the club convinced they’ll finish top 4 yet history says no chance .
I do like the idea of getting a future first out of both GC and Freo as they will both believe that pick will be 10+ and not as highly prized but we all know if could be well under 10!

Its not irrelevant if it gets us a better pick(s)
Rioli requested a trade to a club that has courted him, and he's under contract ..
and people think paying his wage is cool, for whatever reason...?
ok fine... just not my trip

Reactions: 1 user
Rioli requested a trade to a club that has courted him, and he's under contract ..
Think of it not as paying his wage but of buying pick 12.

Reactions: 10 users
Its not irrelevant at all. This is about the RFC and how we can improve OUR hand at the draft.
Must confess my original reaction to the thought paying salary of blokes who are leaving was one of shock horror disgust etc etc
And I wrote it here somewhere too

However I have since read many posts and learned the other side of it all - and it certainly can make sense
I’ve even been able to explain the logic it to others in the meantime

An old dog can learn new tricks!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 8 users
Its not irrelevant at all. This is about the RFC and how we can improve OUR hand at the draft.
'if' we can improve our hand is how i look at it, so i guess we beg to differ
how many wasted draft picks have there been?
Think of it not as paying his wage but of buying pick 12.
sure. maybe i just don't want to give GCS anything apart from Rioli

Not to mention we dont want to reward our youngsters with mega bucks before they deserve it… i believe it stumps their development. So paying bolton and Rioli wages for a couple of years is absolutely only about enticing those clubs to release the picks we want this draft 6 9 10 13 ish.
Mate id even pay fridges to up the value to net a better compo pick too.

Reactions: 1 users
I feel squeamish about it but in the end I think it's a case of whatever it takes to get the best possible draft hand. So if it means doing it while holding our noses...then ok.

Reactions: 3 users
I feel squeamish about it but in the end I think it's a case of whatever it takes to get the best possible draft hand. So if it means doing it while holding our noses...then ok.
yep..
reluctantly this seems to be the only way around the nonsense of draft / trade / value / cap wages / etc ..

No. You never pay the entire salary. Bonuses etc, completely outside your control.
Pay for a couple of years Max. In three years time, our swathe of draftees will come out of contract. We need cash to keep them.
For #7 , #12 & #20

I would be happy to pay every cent
We were going to pay that anyway

You are thinking about this the wrong way

Just think of it like this
#6 gets traded for Rioli
#12 gets traded for $500k x 2 years
#20 gets traded for $300k x 2 years

Reactions: 2 users
You are thinking about this the wrong way

Just think of it like this
#6 gets traded for Rioli
#12 gets traded for $500k x 2 years
#20 gets traded for $300k x 2 years
Yep. Clubs been doing it for some years now, trading out expensive players for kiddie picks n easing their salary cap restrictions while around finals contention. So why not do it in reverse and utilise spare cap space for extra kiddie picks when rebuilding? Sounds fairly logical and certainly helps avoid over paying young kids or average players just to meet the enforced 95% minimum.

Perfect time to do it as well. Martin Bolton and Rioli took up a lot of our cap, so we have plenty of room to do this . Plus we need all the extra picks in a deep draft.