Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

Really? It got to the point where he was dropped from the team as a small forward. His career was at a crossroads. Moving him back has been the making of him.
So he suddenly lost 3 flags worth of ability, creativity and goal sense, just as he was maturing as a footballer. (24?)

Meanwhile he was never replaced and we consistently struggled to kick goals in clutch games, playing all manner of panic merchant nuffies there.

Worst move ever. HBF pffft. Easiest position on the ground to get kicks.

Shorty won a b and f there!

When Danny went anywhere near the goals good things happened, even later when he came out of defence.

Rewatch any of a whole batch of finals if you have forgotten how elite his forward work was.

You are born a forward and you don't lose your natural instincts.
Crossroads? I don't believe so.
And 3 flags mean you don't need to be "made".

I am very annoyed:
1. That he is leaving
and
2. That he was worth going to the footy to watch as a forward and that has long been lost.

Anyway, you can remember his run from half back and I will remember the key player of the three amigos under Jackmond.

That way we've both got fond memories.

Reactions: 1 users
If its only #7 - No Salary contribution
If its #7 + #12 then happy to pay 400k x 3 years
If they really need salary cap relief #7 + #12 + #20 pay his entire salary for 3 years

Reactions: 1 user
If its only #7 - No Salary contribution
If its #7 + #12 then happy to pay 400k x 3 years
If they really need salary cap relief #7 + #12 + #20 pay his entire salary for 3 years
No. You never pay the entire salary. Bonuses etc, completely outside your control.
Pay for a couple of years Max. In three years time, our swathe of draftees will come out of contract. We need cash to keep them.

Reactions: 6 users
No. You never pay the entire salary. Bonuses etc, completely outside your control.
Pay for a couple of years Max. In three years time, our swathe of draftees will come out of contract. We need cash to keep them.
Given the way they’ve gone after him, I’m opposed to helping them in any way, shape or form by paying part of his salary, but I agree that you would never agree to pay all of it, or for the length of the contract, especially as they’re more than likely offering him substantially more than he is on at Richmond to get him up there in the first place. And like ToO says, they want a talented, contracted player then they pay and they pay full whack, or the deal doesn’t get done.

Reactions: 3 users
Given the way they’ve gone after him, I’m opposed to helping them in any way, shape or form by paying part of his salary, but I agree that you would never agree to pay all of it, or for the length of the contract, especially as they’re more than likely offering him substantially more than he is on at Richmond to get him up there in the first place. And like ToO says, they want a talented, contracted player then they pay and they pay full whack, or the deal doesn’t get done.
I get the angst and annoyance but if we accept he is going then we need to get the best deal we can and if that means a pick that gets us a good player because we help the suns out by paying part of his salary then I would do it.

Reactions: 4 users
I get the angst and annoyance but if we accept he is going then we need to get the best deal we can and if that means a pick that gets us a good player because we help the suns out by paying part of his salary then I would do it.
I know it makes sense, and we’ll probably do it, but I want these bastards to hurt.

Reactions: 2 users
I’d also be seeking to trade our future 3rd for their future 2nd but let’s be clear,- anything less than two high firsts for a contracted player of Dans quality is bullsh..
Yeah, that’s it. 2 high firsts or we tell Daniel they don’t want him that much and he has to stay and honour the contract he happily signed a couple of years ago of his own free will.

Reactions: 3 users
I know it makes sense, and we’ll probably do it, but I want these bastards to hurt.
I think most of us feel the same way. The reality is we are in the situation we are in and if we play our cards well it could be the making of our next great team.
We are going to really struggle to pay our salary cap in 2025 so let’s use it to our advantage. That may not just be paying some of the wages of Rioli, and Bolton as well, but bring forward payments to Taranto, Hopper and potentially others. I have heard that we are looking at a new deal for Balta as an example, let’s front load that.
All that won’t just maximise our trade return it will give us cap space for a free agent when our team is improving.

Reactions: 6 users
I think most of us feel the same way. The reality is we are in the situation we are in and if we play our cards well it could be the making of our next great team.
We are going to really struggle to pay our salary cap in 2025 so let’s use it to our advantage. That may not just be paying some of the wages of Rioli, and Bolton as well, but bring forward payments to Taranto, Hopper and potentially others. I have heard that we are looking at a new deal for Balta as an example, let’s front load that.
All that won’t just maximise our trade return it will give us cap space for a free agent when our team is improving.
This.

If it means getting better draft picks we would be crazy not to pay some salary. We will struggle to use 95% of our cap for a couple of years (at least we should) so this makes perfect sense.