Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

Deals are done:

Rioli -> picks 6 & 13
Bolton -> picks 9 & 10
Baker -> pick 12 (hawks pick12 for Barass)

😉
1, 6, 9, 10, 12, 13, 20…if this is what we end up we will be out of the draft by pick 20.
Add in whatever pick swaps we do with GC and Lions and compo for Jack Graham.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
#1 = 3,000 points vs #3&6 = 3,985. Even if we traded our second rounder it wouldn't be enough to match. We may have to trade another (later) first rounder instead.
Points are irrelevant, unless you actually need them.

Reactions: 5 users
1, 6, 9, 10, 12, 13, 20…if this is what we end up we will be out of the draft by pick 20.
Reckon we could all live with that.
Add in whatever pick swaps we do with GC and Lions and compo for Jack Graham.
Probably just nudge these left over extra bits into next years draft n fatten that up a bit.

Highly unlikely that all our trade n draft dreams are gunna come true, but there aint no harm in wishin.

Reactions: 1 users
I suspect we will try to pick up some future first rounders. I am guessing but I think about 6 or 7 picks this year and try to trade some into next year.
This will give us another 12 months to see if Fawcett, Green, Sonsie, Dow, Banks, Bauer, Clarke, Gray Blight etc improve or need to be cut loose.
Blair always has one eye on the long game to build a smooth list profile.

Reactions: 4 users
The nominal pick 13 is tied to the Dogs, who I have making a prelim, so it could be 15-18 by the end of the season. Regardless, I don't think were getting it. Pick 6 and 20 is probably the best we'll get for Daniel.

The nominal pick 13 is tied to the Dogs, who I have making a prelim, so it could be 15-18 by the end of the season. Regardless, I don't think were getting it. Pick 6 and 20 is probably the best we'll get for Daniel.
Well then we wont do the deal. Simples.

IMHO, Murphy Reid is a very, very smart and neat footballer.

Queries over his athleticism and whether at AFL level his smarts can compensate for his lack of physical traits.

Similar to Jagga in a lot of ways, including the physical traits questions.

If has has the aerobic capacity needed he could end up playing a role similar to a Steele Sidebottom.
OKay thanks appreciate it. going by that not quite a goal kicking fwd. So maybe around this pick someone like Hotten who i think will perform both roles well maybe more of a mid or we make a bid on Kako who looks like a genuine fwd.

Plenty of time to go before the draft so will have to do a bit research.

I am all in on a rebuild and im really hoping we can achieve 8 picks inside 30. Going something like this 1, 6, 9, 12, 17, 20, 21, 29.
In what is widely being reported one of the best top 30 drafts all time i feel we have to cut deep and go hard its a golden opportunity that don't come around that often or so i read.

Two mids early 1,6, Taking one of Lalor or Smillie. at 1 and then taking hopefully Draper at 6, knowing one of a group of highly rated small mids will be here.
9 Dan Riol replacement here in Travaglia if there.
Best KPP at 12 hoping Trainor in particular slips or Armstrong. Maybe if we go a different route and miss out on Smillie or Lalor we take Allen.

The options even from this point will be good with one of those picks id be looking for Boltons replacement then back to mids and KPF'S

Just going by reports and talking to Fremantle people my gut feel is they will take their picks to the draft and use cheap trades and f/a to bolster the team straight away.

Here we are hoping like hell to get our hands on top 20 picks, well if they honest every club would like nothing more than to have top 20 picks in this draft. Yet they have four darn good ones 9, 10, 17, 24. and everyone thinks they are just gunna throw them away for a player.

Their biggest need is a kpd Trainor as far as depth goes. He is the best kpd in the draft and could be there at 9.
At 10 i reckon they will look at Fyfe's replacement they would hope Lalor or Smillie is there but if not Allen or Langford would do id say.
17 another local lad in Davis a tall general forward mid who is a superb runner. or a small forward like Berry or bid on Kako. They fix their list depth in one go. 24 who knows just best available another mid like Gross or Hynes or maybe if O'Farrall slides or Shanahan gets to here as a forward they are all highly rated.
I still think if i was in charge at Fremantle im going to the draft with those picks and trying to fix immediate weaknesses with cheap f/a fixes.

Go and get Jack Martin as a free agent which has been spoken about and im sure they could find cover for injury to talls by targeting a cheap mature recruit or f/a or even a state league player.

Last edited:
Just going by reports and talking to Fremantle people my gut feel is they will take their picks to the draft and use cheap trades and f/a to bolster the team straight away.

Here we are hoping like hell to get our hands on top 20 picks, well if they honest every club would like nothing more than to have top 20 picks in this draft. Yet they have four darn good ones 9, 10, 17, 24. and everyone thinks they are just gunna throw them away for a player.

Their biggest need is a kpd Trainor as far as depth goes. He is the best kpd in the draft and could be there at 9.
At 10 i reckon they will look at Fyfe's replacement they would hope Lalor or Smillie is there but if not Allen or Langford would do id say.
17 another local lad in Davis a tall general forward mid who is a superb runner. or a small forward like Berry or bid on Kako. They fix their list depth in one go. 24 who knows just best available another mid like Gross or Hynes or maybe if O'Farrall slides or Shanahan gets to here as a forward they are all highly rated.
I still think if i was in charge at Fremantle im going to the draft with those picks and trying to fix immediate weaknesses with cheap f/a fixes.

Go and get Jack Martin as a free agent which has been spoken about and im sure they could find cover for injury to talls by targeting a cheap mature recruit or f/a or even a state league player.
Depends if they have committed to Bolton doesn't it. If they have have then they can kiss a couple of those early picks and any hope of getting Trainor & Lalor goodbye.

I suspect we will try to pick up some future first rounders. I am guessing but I think about 6 or 7 picks this year and try to trade some into next year.
This will give us another 12 months to see if Fawcett, Green, Sonsie, Dow, Banks, Bauer, Clarke, Gray Blight etc improve or need to be cut loose.
Blair always has one eye on the long game to build a smooth list profile.
Dow doesn't need another year he's already had 5 and he aint good enough.

Reactions: 2 users

What? So u trying to tell us Freo are not getting Bolton. And they not getting him because they are prioritising using draft picks? WTF?

What? So u trying to tell us Freo are not getting Bolton. And they not getting him because they are prioritising using draft picks? WTF?
It will also depend on how long they think their Premiership window is open for. A couple of top 10 draft picks and Jack Martin aren’t going to get it done, not quickly. The addition of Bolton makes them a threat in the next couple of seasons.

So one minute we're getting all of these early picks, a couple of which would be from the Frockers. Then Neks Minnit the Frockers are keeping all them picks they were gunna give us n are gunna scrounge Jack Martin on the cheap.
That's having some 50 cents each way posting n doing nothing.

Keeping in mind that if our bluff for Jack Graham comes off and we get pick #22 (2nd pick day 2)

Pick #21 & # 22 could both receive F1 offers as this draft is extremely even from 15-25 and there would be kids teams have rated around 15-18 that are still available.

Cats , Pies , Doggies , Port , Brisbane , Suns have limited picks and will be looking to get back in

Reactions: 5 users

Fremantle people? Do you mean at the club or supporters?

If its supporters, they have no more knowledge than you or I do. For Bolton to have requested a trade and for it to be probably that its Freo, then he most certainly would have been given assurances. They are also in the window over the next few years, you can't look away from their current strength their defence and look at the key cogs, Pearce is 29, Ryan is 28, both will be 29 by the time next season starts. Their biggest strength could become their biggest weakness very quickly. If they burn through their last few years, then it becomes difficult to balance the list out again, as then other areas of the list start aging as you rejig your backline. You have to strike whilst the iron is hot. Your philosophy is the same thought pattern that would have had us taking Pick 6 to the draft in 2016, and with that, none of the premierships occur.

I'd be shocked if a player like Bolton becomes available and they don't do everything they need to do to get him.

9, 17 and a player seems obvious to me. They then can keep 10, and use it on best available (in your scenario thats Trainor or Allan) and then they either trade their 26 into next year or take another player with a later pick (that will end up in the 30's).

Reactions: 3 users
Keeping in mind that if our bluff for Jack Graham comes off and we get pick #22 (2nd pick day 2)

Pick #21 & # 22 could both receive F1 offers as this draft is extremely even from 15-25 and there would be kids teams have rated around 15-18 that are still available.

Cats , Pies , Doggies , Port , Brisbane , Suns have limited picks and will be looking to get back in
Suns have got a zillion picks at the moment. Essendrugs b fairly thin on the ground for picks.