Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

One thing we should consider is the RFCs involvement.
We made it clear that if any player wanted to leave then it can happen.
So is Rioli disloyal? Is it so outrageous to break a contract that the other party expressly permits?

Is this what the club wants?
To generate a full suite of top 10 picks?
We could match the Rioli offer.
But clearly dont want to.
We're preparing for a new day. Its going get dark but then we will shine like the sun.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I'm disappointed. And surprisingly angry for something thats been foretold for months.

He's not The Prince anymore.
That moniker is gone. Pity its one nick that I created that stuck. My sister's all time favourite. She'd marry him.
Its understandable but still sad
Dimma's Dan.

Reactions: 1 user
What about as a straight swap for the SA Kp player who wants out. Worth a try would solve a few of our problems

• Love
Yep and the age says for GC pick 20.

Could we see Gold Coast Lukocis and pick 6 to Adelaide for pick 4, Pick 4 to the tigers and Rioli to GC - are we happy with that scenario or should we ask for GC pick 6 and Lukocis for Rioli which I would prefer?
Then get Pick 3 off the West Coast as part of the baker trade.
1-FOS
3-Jagga
4-Lalor

Goes with our blessing and we will welcome pick #6 & #15

He is doing Richmond a massive favor by helping us rebuild the team for the next flag

We were all pissed off when lids left but we are all in love with Noah Balta

We will love Sam Lalor & Jobe Shannahan when we select them with the picks Rioli has provided

Go Well Daniel

Reactions: 2 users
Somethings rotten in Denmark to precipitate this player unrest / movement imo.
Yet people believe its one big happy family under Yze.
Clearly its not.
Happened back in 82.
Lost Raines/Cloke/Wood(Yes all premiership players)
Least we target kids this time.Not Spuds from the Pies.

Reactions: 1 users
So is Rioli disloyal? Is it so outrageous to break a contract that the other party expressly permits?

We're preparing for a new day. Its going get dark but then we will shine like the sun.
There is a contract signed by both parties. We don’t have to match anything, we can simply say no and Dan plays for us in 2025.

I don’t like the way this has happened and I am disappointed in Dan to be honest. The only way I would change my mind is if I knew it was club Instigated, but I would be surprised if it was. He wears the famous 17 of Dyer and his great uncle Maurice, he will probably win our b&f.

As I said earlier yesterday I have heard the trade is not agreed and the value put on him by the 2 clubs is a fair way apart.

Reactions: 5 users
There is a contract signed by both parties. We don’t have to match anything, we can simply say no and Dan plays for us in 2025.

I don’t like the way this has happened and I am disappointed in Dan to be honest. The only way I would change my mind is if I knew it was club Instigated, but I would be surprised if it was. He wears the famous 17 of Dyer and his great uncle Maurice, he will probably win our b&f.

As I said earlier yesterday I have heard the trade is not agreed and the value put on him by the 2 clubs is a fair way apart.
Quite simple in my mind, if they aren’t willing to match what he is actually worth in our minds then it shouldn’t happen. If they are offering him a massive contract bigger and longer than what we are currently paying him, they clearly rate him and should pay what we consider market value . We should stick to our guns on this or e, he’s still young enough to be around for our bounce back up.

Reactions: 8 users

I am suggesting that the club is behind this.
We can match by.holding him to the contract but are choosing not to.
Assuming the trade is agreed.
Its the same for the other 3.
Club instigated?
Pretty much.

So I'm disappointed that he's going but dont see that he is skipping out on us.
He goes with the club's blessing.

I am suggesting that the club is behind this.
We can match by.holding him to the contract but are choosing not to.
Assuming the trade is agreed.
Its the same for the other 3.
Club instigated?
Pretty much.

So I'm disappointed that he's going but dont see that he is skipping out on us.
He goes with the club's blessing.
I don't believe Rioli is club instigated, it is GCS and Dimma Hardwick instigated.

Reactions: 11 users
I love Danny Rioli, and always will. I love every Rioli, past, present and emerging.

He played an incredibly selfless, hard role in three premierships, and is a tiger legend.

But, yes, he will be remembered a rung down from the one club legends.

He knows this; he's just made the judgement that a rung down is worth probably $2m to him.

I'd do the same.

Blokes like Broady are throw-backs to a bygone era.

But now we must maximise the value for RFC;.

premierships come with a large measure of magnanimity; wooden spoons hold none.

6 and 13

Last edited:
It's disappointing that Dan wants out, especially after saying that he was a Tiger for Life when he signed his 5 year contract. That's the modern way nowadays, just need to demand the best deal we can.

I don't think contracts started taking big hits today. But I agree that the player/club balance is skewed to the former.
Players need to realise if they do this, it's got to go the other way too.
Clubs had it all their own way for over a 100 years. More than beyond time the pendulum swung to the players favour a bit. There's still a situation where it needs to be an acceptable deal for all parties concerned.

We don’t need to match any offer , he is contracted , not a free agent so it’s moot , club feels we are rebuilding

Disappointing after all that has transpired since now famous meeting at Moonee Ponds cafe between Cotch and Jack where Dan was specifically mentioned

Reactions: 2 users
Clubs had it all their own way for over a 100 years. More than beyond time the pendulum swung to the players favour a bit. There's still a situation where it needs to be an acceptable deal for all parties concerned.
You're thinking basically of this scenario only. There's also the scenario like Baker. He can nominate a club, as he's out of contract, and we are then at a point of severe weakness. That club has the upper hand in trade which it could exploit if it wanted. Think Essendon or Freo. If we don't facilitate the trade, that player can walk into the PSD at their risk, with no compensation for us.
There's no scenario where the club can protect itself here.
As for historically what happened for 100 years, so what. Doesn't make an imbalanced world now, right.

Why would anyone want to play for Gold coast?

I wonder if he's tinged with regret when he retires and is clapped quietly off the ground by 6,000 rugby supporters who got free tickets from their kids school.

Hope he doesn't watch the cotch/jack/dusty 300 or farewells again.

That's loyalty, and that's respect and love. Can't be bought.

This is what I don’t understand. For the life of me, I don’t see the appeal. I get that he is close with Dimma. He lived with him when he started his career.

But at the Suns, he won’t be able to:
- Play with his uncle.,
- Play in front of decent crowds
- Play at the MCG
- Play in the Dreamtime game
- Play deep into September at such a plastic, loser club
- Be a one club player

The darksiders are having a fantastic time at the moment, they are loving it.
They have infiltrated PRE like those death eaters in Harry Potter.

I miss claw :love:

Danny's fiancé is a Sydney-reared Tik-Tok star.

without passing any judgement on anyone, our laying any blame,

I reckon she is more likely to thrive in Surfers Paradise,

than a kid from Tiwi?

GC is nice to escape Melbourne and lay on the beach for a fortnight in July.

But it is a cultural cesspit (yeah ok, im passing judgements)

and I honestly dont think you could get culturally further from Tiwi without flying to Nevada.

No sporting team on the GC has had any success: Brisbane bears, titans, seagulls, GC United, GC Rollers, Indy 500, GC Suns.

Its a high performance graveyard, and you have to ask why?

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 6 users