Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

Not necessarily. You've got a bunch of millenials who have only experienced success and have no appreciation for doing the hard yards to get there. They've walked in to a Dusty/Cotch/Jack/Rance era and haven't had to work that hard themselves. All of a sudden, the success is gone, the stars doing the heavy lifting are gone and they have a new coach who is demanding more of them as a result
Rioli has worked his *smile* arse off.

Reactions: 7 users
Not necessarily. You've got a bunch of millenials who have only experienced success and have no appreciation for doing the hard yards to get there. They've walked in to a Dusty/Cotch/Jack/Rance era and haven't had to work that hard themselves. All of a sudden, the success is gone, the stars doing the heavy lifting are gone and they have a new coach who is demanding more of them as a result
Disagree. Don't know why you think that statement applies to Daniel? He has done a lot of hard work to improve his on-field performance in a few different positions and recover from a very serious ankle injury in the 2017 GF.

Reactions: 1 user
Geez there is some carry on in here..
Sad to see him go but what would you do if another club dropped a 4 year, approx. $,1, 000,000 in front of you?? Currently got 3 years to go with us on approx $750,000, approx $1,800,000 difference in the deals and his last chance to make good coin.
Rioli and 1st pick in 2nd round to GC
Pick 6 & 13 to us

Bolton and later pick to Freo
Pick 9 & 10 to us

Baker & 10 or preferably 13 to WC
Pick 3 to us

Possibly gives us picks 1, 3, 6, 9 and 10/13
Keep Graham compo in case someone slides
Trade the other picks for picks next year.
Fall asleep on night 2 of the draft….

Reactions: 8 users
Why would anyone want to play for Gold coast?

I wonder if he's tinged with regret when he retires and is clapped quietly off the ground by 6,000 rugby supporters who got free tickets from their kids school.

Hope he doesn't watch the cotch/jack/dusty 300 or farewells again.

That's loyalty, and that's respect and love. Can't be bought.

Reactions: 4 users
Geez there is some carry on in here..
Sad to see him go but what would you do if another club dropped a 4 year, approx. $,1, 000,000 in front of you?? Currently got 3 years to go with us on approx $750,000, approx $1,800,000 difference in the deals and his last chance to make good coin.
Rioli and 1st pick in 2nd round to GC
Pick 6 & 13 to us

Bolton and later pick to Freo
Pick 9 & 10 to us

Baker & 10 or preferably 13 to WC
Pick 3 to us

Possibly gives us picks 1, 3, 6, 9 and 10/13
Keep Graham compo in case someone slides
Trade the other picks for picks next year.
Fall asleep on night 2 of the draft….
Until we’ve actually got these picks and done these deals this is all fantasy.

Rioli has worked his *smile* arse off.
Agree. Load of rubbish he hasn't put in the hard yards. Got an financial offer he can't refuse, a coach and person he has a super strong relationship and a team more likely to contend in immediate term. A pro footballer maximising his return while he can.

Reactions: 5 users
Why would anyone want to play for Gold coast?

I wonder if he's tinged with regret when he retires and is clapped quietly off the ground by 6,000 rugby supporters who got free tickets from their kids school.

Hope he doesn't watch the cotch/jack/dusty 300 or farewells again.

That's loyalty, and that's respect and love. Can't be bought.
90k at the MCG just to watch dusty because we thought it was the last time.

Thats what loyalty gets you

Reactions: 6 users
The place must really stink for someone like Dan to entertain this type of move especially with his uncle playing here and just signing a 5 year deal. FMD.
So, we've got players like VFL fella, Naismith, Dusty all saying what an amazing culture we have and how it's a great place to come play.
And you think something must be wrong because Rioli is being offered a deal by GC? Remember, Rioli lived with the Hardwick’s when he first joined the club. He has a strong personal bond. The extra dollars in the sky rocket haven't gone astray either, neither has the opportunity to play finals.
Think a bit harder than that elementary BS please. If I didn't know any better, I'd assume your repeated negativity is just to troll...

• Wow
Reactions: 10 users
Agree. Load of rubbish he hasn't put in the hard yards. Got a financial offer he can't refuse, a coach and person he has a super strong relationship and a team more likely to contend in immediate term. A pro footballer maximising his return while he can.
And that’s fine but he won’t be held in the esteem of others who stay or where one club Tigers.

You can’t have it both ways. Appreciate everything you’ve done and this is how you will be remembered, for the scintillating highlights that few can do and the way and when you left.

Reactions: 7 users
Rioli was drafted in 2015. Literally had 1 year of tough times. It’s been all gravy since then. Now when it’s time to stick fat and help the club they bail. Weak. Zero leadership.

Lynch and Prestia spent 8 years at Gold Coast through tough times. They did their time with no success.
That means 2024 is Daniel's 9th year. That's not enough service for you? He played great football this season, especially the past month, when he would have known that he would be asking for a move north. Perhaps he wanted to maximise his value to the GC to assist Richmond in obtaining the best trade deal possible. Sounds to me like he is helping the club and showing leadership in a different way. Suppose he stays for another 3 years whilst we are re-building, what value will he have then?

Reactions: 3 users
So, we've got players like VFL fella, Naismith, Dusty all saying what an amazing culture we have and how it's a great place to come play.
And you think something must be wrong because Rioli is being offered a deal by GC? Remember, Rioli lived with the Hardwick’s when he first joined the club. He has a strong personal bond. The extra dollars in the sky rocket haven't gone astray either, neither has the opportunity to play finals.
Think a bit harder than that elementary BS please. If I didn't know any better, I'd assume your repeated negativity is just to troll...
The darksiders are having a fantastic time at the moment, they are loving it.
They have infiltrated PRE like those death eaters in Harry Potter.

• Haha
And that’s fine but he won’t be held in the esteem of others who stay or where one club Tigers.

You can’t have it both ways. Appreciate everything you’ve done and this is how you will be remembered, for the scintillating highlights that few can do and the way and when you left.
That's very different from the statement he's rode the gravy train, then sooked it up when the going got tough and done the dash.

Few will be remembered like Jack, Dusty, Cotch, Dylan, Richo etc. He will have plenty of fondness and good memories from me. He's brought me great footballing joy and will tell him too if I ever bump into him.

I've noticed some folks only come here to post negative stuff. They draw attention to themselves like a predator at a nudist beach.

• Haha

Remember holding the club a bit to ransom to move out of the forward line?

Not the first "me first" approach from him. I can appreciate the life span of a professional footballer, and him wanting to get himself taken care of. But it can take the sheen off the statue.

Rather be a darksider than have my head up my bum. Are you currently happy with the state of affairs?

Reactions: 1 user
As previously mentioned I respect Dan's decision.
It's a business at the end of the day.

But I wonder what Jack and Cotch would be thinking.

I remember Jack saying that after 2016 when it looked like we were done he and Cotch sat down and wondered what they could do to make sure someone like Daniel Rioli would someday experience success.

Also the fact that he was meeting with them as early as April is a bit average.
Season was 6 weeks old.
I respect his decision too even though I'll miss his dash in our colours next season.
Exactly, it is a business these days and it's not easy to balance club loyalty with what's genuinely better for the club, looking ahead 4-5 years. The prospect of recruiting some top juniors right now is more appealing than competing with the Tassie Devils for draft picks in years to come.
I believe Jack and Cotch would be surprised at how many players have retired or wanted to leave but they would be pragmatists and realise that our honeymoon is over with our premiership stars so they have won the right to do what's best for them. They might think it's far better for us to get as many potentially top players as possible right now, taking advantage of our ladder position and our player assets to build back quickly. Poor old St kilda can't do that, they keep finishing in no-man's land on the ladder, with poorer draft choices and no premiership players to trade out.
After 2016 we were still on the rise, still had a lot of excellent players in our squad even though that was a poor finish that year. Hardwick and Cotch knew the group just needed a few more key players and better belief and connection within the group. Balme came in and the new players were just what we needed. It was unfortunate that Deledio left but he was missing games with calf injuries and we relied on him too much to win games. I think him leaving meant many others had to lift, including Dusty.
These days player managers could be meeting with clubs many times each year without anyone knowing. It is a business after all and players have a very short time to earn what they can from a brutal game.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users