Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

Daniel hasn’t got a media career in front of him. He has to take the best offer to make hay while the sun shines.
He is a quality kid who has fallen in love.
He’s just one rock in an off and on field avalanche.
He’s done his job for the Tiges as a triple premiership FORWARD.
Much harder to dislike Daniel compared to Dimma.
Very well put.

The darksiders are having a fantastic time at the moment, they are loving it.
They have infiltrated PRE like those death eaters in Harry Potter.
Agree Sin. Coming from NSW where every year a coach in the NRL has a new group of players to work with. Most transactions happen mid year but professional players continue to perform for the club they will be leaving. The players are the meat in the sandwich for supporters. Football is a business, on one hand the expression “mug delist” is used frequently on this site to many of the current list warranted or not whereas the small handful of players supporters want to keep they are disloyal. Sadly that’s life and all 3 players have decisions to make while they are fortunate enough to have the choice. Most players do not have that choice. From memory the last player we lost like that was Lids and that worked well for us before that I think the only other in the last 20 years was Ottens which we stuffed. as Dame Edna used to say “get over it petals”.

Reactions: 6 users
90k at the MCG just to watch dusty because we thought it was the last time.

Thats what loyalty gets you
True. But these days, as a professional footballer, loyalty doesn't pay the bills especially for someone like Daniel who may only have football for his earning potential.

Last edited:
I'm pretty keen for clubs to be able to trade players when & wherever they want if this is the way we're headed. The 'contract' took a big hit today.
Richmond could hold Rioli to his contract so it’s not the integrity of the contract that is in question.
It’s players asking for a trade whilst under contract and the clubs response that is in question.

Reactions: 1 user
Richmond could hold Rioli to his contract so it’s not the integrity of the contract that is in question.
It’s players asking for a trade whilst under contract and the clubs response that is in question.
Yeah but the problem is nobody really wants to keep a player on their list who wants to be somewhere else. Currently the players hold the whip hand if they want out.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm pretty keen for clubs to be able to trade players when & wherever they want if this is the way we're headed. The 'contract' took a big hit today.
I don't think contracts started taking big hits today. But I agree that the player/club balance is skewed to the former.
Players need to realise if they do this, it's got to go the other way too.

Reactions: 3 users
Feeling that way for a while. Contracts no longer mean the player has to stay with their club, it just makes the deal a bit more challenging. Getting like the NFL where a 'contract' is simply a statement of what the team will pay the player for that season or two. But if the team wants to cut the player earlier, then they can. For the sake of financial security for the players, I hope that doesn't come into the AFL.

Yeah but the problem is nobody really wants to keep a player on their list who wants to be somewhere else. Currently the players hold the whip hand if they want out.
Papley a perfect example of holding a player to their contract.
They’re professionals and understand the landscape. Unless there’s real compassionate grounds, I believe a player would suck it up if they were held to their contracts. Within reason

No one couldve predicted our huge injury toll throught the year which forced our hand limiting what we could do with players

Yeah... But we had half backs in reserve, while our whole midfield was out injured. We had a point mid year where all of Taranto, Hopper and Ross were injured and K. Smith was tearing it up in the 2's.

Anyway. I just found it odd that Rioli spoke in the off-season about potentially moving up the ground, and the opportunity arose, and wasn't taken.

It'll be interesting if he finds himself higher up the ground at the GC.

Yeah... But we had half backs in reserve, while our whole midfield was out injured. We had a point mid year where all of Taranto, Hopper and Ross were injured and K. Smith was tearing it up in the 2's.

Anyway. I just found it odd that Rioli spoke in the off-season about potentially moving up the ground, and the opportunity arose, and wasn't taken.

It'll be interesting if he finds himself higher up the ground at the GC.
Not a chance. Their biggest issue is run off half back. Right now they have Sexton playing that position.

Not a chance. Their biggest issue is run off half back. Right now they have Sexton playing that position.
Hunwick has been into Dan and Noble thats pace and line breaking run off HB which they dont have.

A clear line drawn by Hunwick in the formation of the team he wants.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't think contracts started taking big hits today. But I agree that the player/club balance is skewed to the former.
Players need to realise if they do this, it's got to go the other way too.
Both players and clubs need to be wary of front loaded or back ended contracts if this is starting to happen.

What happens if a player on a 5 year deal was on a front loaded contract and has already earned his $1m/yr for his first two years and was due $700k/yr for his next 3, then decides to leave?

Reactions: 1 users
I'm disappointed. And surprisingly angry for something thats been foretold for months.

He's not The Prince anymore.
That moniker is gone. Pity its one nick that I created that stuck. My sister's all time favourite. She'd marry him.
Its understandable but still sad