Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

I’d hazard a guess they want him to enhance/ strengthen their First Nations connection.
Disappointed in Dans decision but players should never espouse to be a “ a tiger for life and would not want to be anywhere elsewhere”
Those words seem disingenuous now.
Just word salad to placate the throng.
Thanks for your service Dan, but if you think the Richmond Football club will just roll over and grant you your wish you’d better be prepared for it not to eventuate.

Reactions: 2 users
I suppose Danny will have to coach himself,

cause Dimma's all out of sausage recipes?

might have to have his own huddle of one?

quite devastated that a Rioli will pull on that poxy red jumper and become part of their bankrupt culture.

:vomit

6 and 13
Yeah this is one that hurts. Also doesn't make sense. I'm blaming the idiot influencer gf.

Reactions: 1 user
I was hoping Daniel was going to be a Shane Edwards father figure for our current and new indigenous players.
Sad day.

Reactions: 6 users
wrote this in another thread:

"One of the big shifts I noticed over my time working in footy was the big shift to a much more american style of thinking around free agency, with players being a lot less concerned about playing at 1 club, and more concerned about the cash. Which is fair enough, but it does still challenge a lot of old school thinking supporters.

Clubs really understand this now, it took a good chunk of time, but now that need to be seen as a club that accomodate a players wishes is desirable, which makes them attractive to other players and also their management."

Loyalty to one club is going to be less and less of a thing, players are going to be (rightly) chasing what is in their best interests, and oftentimes thats about money. Others its family. Others its about being out of a fishbowl. etc etc

• Sad
Reactions: 8 users
Yeah this is one that hurts. Also doesn't make sense. I'm blaming the idiot influencer gf.

Daniel is responsible for decisions around his own career. I hate the thought of losing him; the Rioli name is royalty at Richmond. I suspect he has been tempted by extra money and a potential shot at another premiership. Very disappointing that he doesn’t want to be part of the rebuild.

Now it is over to GC to make us an offer we can’t refuse.

Reactions: 3 users
Ouch. This one really stings.

One of my family's absolute favourites and a fella I could never imagine wanting to leave.

This hangover from a period of success goes from bad to worse.

Not sure how to break it to my kids.

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Precedent was set by Dimma. Jumping ship for better dollars and new toys. We will quickly find out which players had loyalty to Dimma and which to the RFC. Good riddance if that's how they feel. Blokes like Cotch, Jack, Grimes, Astbury etc will always be welcome with open arms. The rest can stick it!

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Loyalty to one club is going to be less and less of a thing
That's indisputable, but it means the playing list of the future will be filled solely with mercenaries, draftees and role/fringe players with no trade value. Sad.

The AFL are desperate to make that plastic club a success. He’s probably been promised some indigenous ambassadorial role & steady work for his partner or $omething to break the deal with us.
Honestly makes me sick.

Reactions: 9 users
It was a great transition from Houli to Rioli. But Who now plays that pivotal HBF flanker role with that kind of speed that runs 20m and kicks 50m. Our disposal from half back is terrible, we need his run and carry.

Pick 6 and 13, *smile* s.

It's good business, for us and them and Dan.

But a part of me is crying, "Say it ain't so, Joe."

Reactions: 8 users
It was a great transition from Houli to Rioli. But Who now plays that pivotal HBF flanker role with that kind of speed that runs 20m and kicks 50m. Our disposal from half back is terrible, we need his run and carry.
Judson Clarke is who i think of - if his knee is ok

• Love
The AFL are desperate to make that plastic club a success. He’s probably been promised some indigenous ambassadorial role & steady work for his partner or $omething to break the deal with us.
Honestly makes me sick.
Probably, so why shouldn’t Blair call out Leo Lombard right after he calls out Levi Ashcroft with our first pick?? The AFL would no doubt put in a rule change to ensure it doesn’t happen again but we could seriously bend over both clubs..GC would be frothing at the mouth and madly texting Laura Kane complaining

Reactions: 3 users
Football is more and more a business these days. Both from clubs and players. Whether we like it or not, the concept of the new generation of players staying as “one club players” is outdated these days. Let’s face it, money talks. When bog average players can draw a 400-500K salary these days as the TPP just rises every year and clubs are forced to pay up to 95% then it makes it very appealing for players to chase the money. I wonder if we are getting close to the tipping point where a Premiership medallion is not the be all and end all and the cash on offer is the main incentive.

Last week Yze said Shai hadn't requested a trade but had expressed an interest in moving back to Perth. But if a deal can't be done, he would honour his contract.

I wonder if the Daniel position is similar? Ideally I would move but happy to honour my contract if Suns don't provide the compensation we want?